Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

FFS HDD issues

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Right, it seems that another HDD is on its last legs for me. FFS. I haven't had it that long. Few years or so.

Yes, my PC gets alot of use, often left on to download stuff overnight. Sometimes weeks at a time. But that isn't the point - alot of big offices leave pc's on 24/7. The PC's on the boat my dad works on - 24/7. They have to. They run the engine room. They are only ordinary PC's too.

Plus, I have had my 20gig Maxtor Master drive (It is a 200gb Western Digital that is seemingly on its last legs.) since the millenium - it has had hte exact same useage as the 200gb, but more as well added ontop, it was in another PC that was running the same sortof pattern beforehand. It seems fine.

Can someone please suggest why the fucking christ my slave drive has died. No reason seems aparent, it is stupid. Is it because I install all my apps onto it - games, etc? All the torrents download to it - is it the increased workload or what?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Its because you fund communism.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmm i would say sometimes they just "go" is it still under warrenty?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    CoolMe wrote:
    Hmm i would say sometimes they just "go" is it still under warrenty?

I wish mate, I wish! Bloody cheaply produced shit.

James, you fund Chechen Rebels.
    Is it IDE or SATA? It might be the cables? :confused:

have you tryed wiping everything out and starting from fresh to see if it makes a difference?
    Western Digital used to be fairly good at swapping drives. Not much use for the data, but if you send it back to them at least you don't have to fork out for a new one.

Does tend to require serious packaging though.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

James, you fund Chechen Rebels.

Ouch!
    Hard drives fail. Can fail after a week, a month, a year or a decade. If you are having recurring problems with hard drive failure, then consider running a diagnostic on the PSU.
    Hard drives fail. Can fail after a week, a month, a year or a decade. If you are having recurring problems with hard drive failure, then consider running a diagnostic on the PSU.

Or you could buy one of those really nice Dell Computers :love:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&oc=D12C17&rbc=D12C17&s=dhs&sbc=ukdhsrsdimen_c521_1
    CoolMe wrote:

Dell are shit m8!

Build yourself is the best way.
    CoolMe wrote:

You're so right! The next time something goes wrong with my PC, I'll buy a new one!

Hang on, the brakes are squealing on my motorbike. I'll just pop off and buy a new VFR... nah, I'll have a 'blade instead.

:rolleyes: :razz:
    Do you actually configure windows to turn off the hard drive when not needed?

Mine is set to spin down after 3minutes of not being used, however in windows that's hardly ever gonna happen on the main windows drive but will on the slave drives.

It also helps if you ask normal question rather then lacing them with swear words and your feelings, this isn't the right thread for feelings .. you big girl .. LOL
    Do you actually configure windows to turn off the hard drive when not needed?

Mine is set to spin down after 3minutes of not being used, however in windows that's hardly ever gonna happen on the main windows drive but will on the slave drives.

Yeah, after 5 minutes.
    It also helps if you ask normal question rather then lacing them with swear words and your feelings, this isn't the right thread for feelings .. you big girl .. LOL

It pissed me off - alot! Bloody things.

Mist - I would do, but I'd rather try to retrieve the data off it.
    You could in future mount your Hard Drive Vertically, seems to generate a lot less heat that way, which should help it last longer.

I have 1 internal drive and 3 external and all are vertical now.
    Nash wrote:
    Dell are shit m8!

Build yourself is the best way.

At lest your getting quality :)
    Dell + quality = tooth fairy.
    :lol: :thumb: True, mate.

Vertical mounting, might look into that - although heatwise, both HDD's have a fan RIGHT INFRONT OF THEM, mounted in the bay. Antec are great case wise.

Again i ask, whats wrong with dell? *cant remember why*
    CoolMe wrote:

They use cheaper components that break quicker than even ebuyers stuff.

You can't replace a lot of them with bog standard stuff, you need Dell specifics, which surprise surprise, cost twice the amount.

For example: my brothers Athlon64 3000+ Dell has less performance than my AthlonXP 2500+ that I built my self...
    They use cheaper components that break quicker than even ebuyers stuff.

You can't replace a lot of them with bog standard stuff, you need Dell specifics, which surprise surprise, cost twice the amount.

For example: my brothers Athlon64 3000+ Dell has less performance than my AthlonXP 2500+ that I built my self...

But this is where You build it by choosing the stuff You want...
    CoolMe wrote:

Mass-produced shite. Generic components are generally better in terms of performance, value, and component replacement.

They aren't that bad, but they're certainly nothing worth shouting about. Better machines and FAR better service can be had from a local shop. :)

Anyway, you're like 7 years old or something, you don't have to worry about such things. Go pull some pigtails. :p;)
    Anyway, you're like 7 years old or something, you don't have to worry about such things. Go pull some pigtails. :p;)

7! I aint 7! Im 15!

And besides i can hardly build my own laptop can i?
    Building your own pc is always the better option. i do it myself

My slave HD turns off after 3 mins. Reduces noise too (slave is a bit of a noisy drive in my pc)

They just break when they feel like it , although ive never had one of mine break *touching wood*
    CoolMe wrote:
    7! I aint 7! Im 15!

And besides i can hardly build my own laptop can i?

Yes you can ;/
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yes you can ;/

Key word was I :)

PC i can, but a laptop jesus!
    Matteh wrote:
    Building your own pc is always the better option. i do it myself

My slave HD turns off after 3 mins. Reduces noise too (slave is a bit of a noisy drive in my pc)

They just break when they feel like it , although ive never had one of mine break *touching wood*

Except that if you buy from a firm the bundled software included means you can get it much cheaper buying it pre-assembled. But then again... it depends if you want to pay for software or not :p