Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

RIP John Lennon

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat

Comments

• Options
    that was a real shame
  • Options
    I fucking wish people would stop banging on about John fucking Lennon. It was 25 years ago. Why is everyone so obsessed with constand irrelevant nostaligia that contributes nothing?

Granted, a great musician and songwriter (though in my opinion, Paul was the better songwriter) that was brutally murdered but so was Marvin Gaye, so was Dimebag Darell and a host of others cut down in their prime.

Besides the music, his contribution to the world was minimal. Staying in bed for a week to promote world peace? That's really gonna do a lot...
  • Options
    though in my opinion, Paul was the better songwriter

The Frog Chorus

Nuff Said.
  • Options
    he was more than just a songwriter and musician although extremely talented at both of those, he was a very influential political activist and ahead of his time - probably why he got shot imo/
    Its all very well sitting here 25 years later in the culture and climate of today and not be able to recognise how far ahead he was and what an icon, but you cant even begin to compare the likes of someone like John Lennon with the celebrities of today.
  • Options
    probably why he got shot imo

Was he not shot by some mad fan who wanted the attention?

Anyway, I agree with Thunderstruck, The Beatles are probably the most over-rated band in history and John Lennon fits perfectly into that picture.

As for today's celebs, yeh they're dreadful but it's irrelevent, the simple fact is that people hold John Lennon up to be some god when in fact he's far from it, same with Kurt Cobain and 12 year old grungers.
  • Options
    lol, I saw this and thought fucking hell John Lennon is dead!? lol
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Was he not shot by some mad fan who wanted the attention?
    That would be less contraversial for sure.

I dont think anyones holding him up to be a god, but people respect him for a lot more than just for the music, so whether you liked the beatles or not isnt the point.
  • Options
    He is extremely overrated, but to say that Paul was a better song writer is utter madness. WHAT? I don't think Paul McCartney is a good (or even passable) songwriter compared to anyone, to be honest :razz:

The only real opinion I have to voice is that I hate 'Imagine' with the fire of a thousand suns and despise the fact that people think it is some fabulous, deep piece of musical art. It is basic and a more than bit patronising, old Johnny singing about no possessions from his fuck-off enormous manse. If we're going for inspirational and enjoyable Imagines then I would pick Salt n Pepa over John Lennon eight days a week :thumb:
  • Options
    yer but imagine is another one which you have to think about from the context of when it was written. It sounds a bit patronising and dated now, but the message back in 1971 was very different from the mainstream.
  • Options
    The Frog Chorus

Nuff Said.

Imagine.

Nuff said. What a fucking miserable simplistic dirge.

But McCartney did write Yesterday and most of the pre-psychadelic stuff. After Revolver, barring patches of the White album, their stuff was distinctly guff and that was mainly due to Lennon.

Political activist my arse. Like I said, staying in bed for a week with Yoko (which actually in all fairness must be pretty horrific) and coming out with such profound musings as "Give peace a chance" is hardly going to change the world is it.

I say, give peas a chance. They've had a tough time of it recently.
  • Options
    lol, I saw this and thought fucking hell John Lennon is dead!? lol

I got quite confused as well. :blush:

Always mix their names up... Paul Harrison and George Mccartney, waste of memory! :angel:
  • Options
    Imagine.

Nuff said. What a fucking miserable simplistic dirge.

But McCartney did write Yesterday and most of the pre-psychadelic stuff. After Revolver, barring patches of the White album, their stuff was distinctly guff and that was mainly due to Lennon.

Political activist my arse. Like I said, staying in bed for a week with Yoko (which actually in all fairness must be pretty horrific) and coming out with such profound musings as "Give peace a chance" is hardly going to change the world is it.

I say, give peas a chance. They've had a tough time of it recently.

Oh well, if thats what you all think, but the fact remains he did a lot at the time for the peace movement, the feminist movement, anti racism.
    It might not have had the same effect in todays world, but it had a huge effect 36 years ago.
    I think a lot of people just cant grasp the concept that the world/country was SUCH a different place such a short time ago
  • Options
    Oh well, if thats what you all think, but the fact remains he did a lot at the time for the peace movement, the feminist movement, anti racism.
    It might not have had the same effect in todays world, but it had a huge effect 36 years ago.

Gonna provide anything to back that up?
  • Options
    what you mean scientific experiments that prove cause and effect and also what it would have been like if John Lennon had never existed?
    Yes let me just get some :rolleyes:
    All the things ive said are pretty much common knowledge.
  • Options
    It was a fucking shame. He puts Bono and bloody Bob Geldof and chuffing Chris Martin to shame for their intentions.

He is no more overrated than Kurt Cobain and all the other people who died as soon as they were blossoming.
  • Options
    who gives a flying fuck about who thought he wasn't talented? there's nothing wrong in remembering the dead you gimps.
    I'll RIP who I wanna, so stop ya whining and let peeps appreciate. nuff siad, check it, big up ya self if ya wanna :D
  • Options
    he was more than just a songwriter and musician although extremely talented at both of those, he was a very influential political activist and ahead of his time - probably why he got shot imo/
    Its all very well sitting here 25 years later in the culture and climate of today and not be able to recognise how far ahead he was and what an icon, but you cant even begin to compare the likes of someone like John Lennon with the celebrities of today.

Agree with that 100%.

I'd imagine (no pun intended) that there was a hell of a lot less cycnicism around then aswell, and people would have taken inspiration from the song. I still think it's a gorgeous song, but very few of us are of the age that we'll ever be able to appreciate it for what it was.

Much as I love the likes of Will Young, he'll never be 0.000001% of the icon and insipirational figure that Lennon was.

I think we've got a culture where if somebody who's perecived as being talented dies, then their talent and status is exaggerated 1000% (Eva Cassidy, Kurt Cobain, fuck maybe even George Harrison) and it gets pretty ridiculous, but you couldn't ever say that about Lennon.
  • Options
    I'm sure he got shot by some crazed nutter that didn't have any crazed political views.....that's if you watched and believed the docu
  • Options
    Imagine.

Nuff said.

Working Class Hero

Nuff Said.
  • Options
    I don't think you can say John Lennon was only considered great because he died. He was considered great well before he died, and he did most of his best stuff before then anyway. Not like Kurt Kobain who's from the actual most overrated band in history. Oh, and whoever said everything after revolver was crap, are you shitting me? Everything before Revolver was crap pop music. I'd much prefer a bit of John Lennon experimenting a bit, to the dull stuff they were releasing before then. As much as I think the Beatles are overrated, they're still one of the best bands of the 20th century. Though when I think of the sort of thing Led Zep or The Velvet Underground were doing around the same time, they're not even the best band of the era in my opinion.

Oh and agreed about Imagine. Jealous Guy is much better. But then you always get that. Like those people who think that "I Just Called To Say I Love You" is Stevie Wonder's best song. Every time I hear Imagine, I break out into a rendition of Don't Look Back In Anger. So if the Beatles are overrated, what does that make that other band with long hair and round glasses?
  • Options
    what you mean scientific experiments that prove cause and effect and also what it would have been like if John Lennon had never existed?
    Yes let me just get some :rolleyes:
    All the things ive said are pretty much common knowledge.

No, but you can't make sweeping statements such as he was pivotal in the feminist, peace and race equality movements without proving something to back it up. I don't expect pie charts or anything but saying it's common knowledge doesn't get you out of making unsubstantiated claims. And personally I don't think they are common knowledge otherwise I wouldn't be contesting them.
  • Options
    I didnt say he was pivotal, I said he did a lot for them. theres a difference.
    Plus this is the entertainment forum not politics and debate.
  • Options
    I didnt say he was pivotal, I said he did a lot for them. theres a difference.

Ok fine. So does doing a lot for something rather than being pivotal exempt you from explaining why?
    Plus this is the entertainment forum not politics and debate.

So just because it's not in P&D, does that mean that no-one is allowed to disagree with anything?

Ringo Starr was actually made in a factory in Luton out of sheet metal, balsa wood and bits of old toasters.

I have no evidence to back this up, but it is common knowledge.
  • Options
    but its not, youre just being a twat.
  • Options
    but its not, youre just being a twat.

How am I being a twat? I happened to disagree with what you said and asked you to provide proof of what you said. You couldn't provide proof and then said that because it's common knowledge, proof isn't required.

That must make me a twat...
  • Options
    ok well just from a musical point of view, his songs "give peace a chance" and imagine are/were pretty much anthems for the peace movement. He was very active in campaigning for the end to the Vietnam war and the peacemovement in general. His feminist song "woman is the ****** of the world" was banned from many places but still had an influence.
    He also got a lot of stick for marrying someone out ouf his race back in the seventies, but I think when someone so well respected and high profile does something like this, it cant fail to have an influence.
  • Options
    How am I being a twat? I happened to disagree with what you said and asked you to provide proof of what you said. You couldn't provide proof and then said that because it's common knowledge, proof isn't required.

That must make me a twat...
    well im not sure why youre going on and on about it. I know its full moon and everything and maybe youre angry with something, but going on at me to provide evidence that John Lennon did stuff for the peace movement is a bit weird when everyone fucking knows he was an icon.
    Im not even a particularly big fan, I just know what he did and respect that.
  • Options
    well im not sure why youre going on and on about it. I know its full moon and everything and maybe youre angry with something, but going on at me to provide evidence that John Lennon did stuff for the peace movement is a bit weird when everyone fucking knows he was an icon. Im not even a particularly big fan, I just know what he did and respect that.

Now just because you disagree with me is no reason to start slinging insults at me.

For someone who is about to become a mother, you're being remarkably childish.
    everyone fucking knows he was an icon.

There we go again. That common knowledge knackers...

The whole basis of my argument, in case you missed it the third time around, was the fact that I don't believe he did much for the peace, civil rights or feminist movement and I wouldn't class him as a legend/icon/whatever and I was interested in what evidence you had to back up your view of him that he did a lot for the causes he championed, that's all.
  • Options
    Now just because you disagree with me is no reason to start slinging insults at me.

For someone who is about to become a mother, you're being remarkably childish.

There we go again. That common knowledge knackers...

The whole basis of my argument, in case you missed it the third time around, was the fact that I don't believe he did much for the peace, civil rights or feminist movement and I wouldn't class him as a legend/icon/whatever and I was interested in what evidence you had to back up your view of him that he did a lot for the causes he championed, that's all.
    LOL, sorry, ive been a mother for 6 years already. Im not sure how my views on John Lennon and the peace movement affect my parenting skills, but thanks for your concern.
    Thats ok you disagree he did anything for the peace movement. I believe youre wrong, but for some reason im finding you incredibly irritating to discuss this with so im going to childishly bow out here and you can go and listen to the frog chorus in peace.
    cheers.