Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Winter meals - The sharing recipies thread!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So the winter is (kind of) on its way and there's nothing like a warm meal inside you to chase away the winter blues. I love to cook, I'm sure a lot of you do, but more of you just like to eat...

So I thought that maybe, just maybe a thread dedicated to winter recipies would be a good idea. :)

Courgette and Carrot Pottage
Really good with some crusty bread...

You need:
1/2 cup of lentils
1 small potato
1 small onion
1 medium carrot
Boiling water
1 clove of garlic (optional)
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
Salt & pepper to taste
  1. Put the lentils in a pan with the marjoram and boil for ten minutes.
  2. Sauté the garlic and onion until lightly browned. Slice the carrots and potato and put in with the lentils making sure to keep on stirring. Add the garlic and onion and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
  3. Serve with bread.:yum:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    not a recipe, but I really recommend sainsbury's honey&mustard sausages, I think they're particularly good.
    Beef stew and Dumplings!!!

Everyone knows how to make that though!
    Great idea perhaps this could be a sticky, especially handy for students and will put there mums at rest!!! (awwwww bless)
    the good thing with winter meals is that they should be filling and wholesome! and therefore hopefully cheap. Im going to go for a beef stew very easy takes a while but not a lot of skill needed too make this.
    2 pounds beef stew cubes Braising steak is ideal
    1 can tomatoes maybe 2 if for more people
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 onion, sliced
    1 stalk celery, sliced
    1/4 teaspoon oregano
    1 beef bouillon cube (optional)
    3 or 4 carrots, sliced
    4 or 5 potatoes, cubed
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    Preheat your oven too 250 degrees, in a casserole dish blend your oregano, sugar you don't need to use sugar if you don't want, salt, pepper and the crushed bouillion cube, add tinned tomatoes and mix, add the rest of the ingredients and cover, cook for about 3 and a half to four hours. Can also do it in a slow cooker if you have one, on medium for around 6 hours!

I like the look of yours moonrat, what lentils are best in that dish or is it not too important?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Spicy Beef Stew.

What you need
    Braising steak.
    Carrots
    Scotch Bonnet chilis
    Celery
    Swede
    Onions
    Tin chopeed tomatoes
    Tomato Puree
    Beef stock cube
    Flour
    Paprika
    Chilli powder
    Ground Corrianda
    Cumin powder

Method
    Fry off the Beef, sprinkle with flour and paprika and stick in the pot. Pour water and stock cube into pot.

Cut up and sweat the veg and onions, add tin tomotoes + puree and stick in the pot with the chopped potatoes.

Add the spices + salt pepper and sugar.

Make sure the level of the liquid just covers all the ingredients. (if not add more stock)

Stick in the oven for a few hours and you have a lovely beef stew. Easy.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skiver Chili

Ingredients:

500 gr Minced Beef
    6 Fresh Scotch Bonnets sliced
    1 Tablespoons of Hot Chili powder
    1 Cans of Premium chopped Tomatoes
    2 Tablespoons of Tomato Puree
    1 Can Baked beans
    2 Tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
    1 Large Onions chopped
    1 Oxo cube
    5 Cloves of Garlic chopped
    1 teaspoon Cumin powder
    1/2 glass red wine
    Oil
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:
    Heat the oil and chuck in the onions and chilis. When they soften throw in the garlic and meat. Once the meat is browned off add tomato puree, cruched oxo cube and wine. Reduce a little.
    Add the tin of tomatoes, chili powder and cumin salt and pepper.
    Add the baked beans last and serve.
    Weekender Offender 
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    You are quite the foodie Skiver :yes:
    Bubble and squeak cottage pie

Buggle and squeak mash:

White cabbage
    Brussels
    Onion
    Grated cheese
    Butter

The filling

Beef mince
    Tinned tomatoes
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Beef stock/gravy granules

For the mash
    Fry the cabbage, brussels and onions in butter until soft.
    Boil the potatoes
    Mash together

Meanwhile
    Fry the onions and mushrooms until soft
    Add the mince
    When brown
    Add the tomatoes, usually half a tine for 2 people
    Fry for about 10 mins

Put the filling in an over proof dish, add the topping then the cheese, cook at 180 degrees for 20 mins or until melted and golden
    Beans on toast.
    If you're making a casserole that's going to be in the oven for hours it's a waste of time using braising steak, you won't get the best out of it. You need a really old, tough and very cheap cut of meat like shin with lots of connective tissue that will slowly break down and give you the most gorgeous beefy taste :)
    LadyJade wrote:
    You are quite the foodie Skiver :yes:

Winter food and spicy foods, such as stews, mexican and currys are my forte. :D
    I only started to cook a few years ago. Before then I couldn't even boil and egg. I still live with my old man and my sister at the moment and I probably cook 90% of the time.
    Weekender Offender 
    meatballs with taglettelly. nothing nicer
    i_am_bex wrote:
    meatballs with taglettelly. nothing nicer

Especially if those meatballs have cheese in the middle.
    Weekender Offender 
    ^^i think you should cook for me :yum:
    Fragrant Vegetable Curry

250g sweet potato
    250g potato (King Edward is best, but Maris Piper will be OK)
    200g carrot
    1 red capsicum pepper
    1 onion
    3 garlic cloves
    350ml vegetable stock
    200ml coconut cream (coconut milk will do if you can't find the cream)
    1-2tbsp each of tumeric, tamarind, ground ginger, ground coriander, cumin, garam masala
    1 vegetable stock cube
    2tbsp butter ghee.

Peel and chop into medium-sized chunks the sweet potato, potato and carrot. Boil the potato and sweet potato for five minutes, add the carrot and boil for a further five minutes. Drain.

Dice the onion and capsicum into rough chunks, and finely chop the garlic.

Heat the ghee in an ovenproof stock dish on the hob on a medium heat. When the ghee is hot add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the ginger and stir for a further minute. Add the tamarind, tumeric, cumin, coriander and garam masala and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add the stock and coconut cream, and stir, and then add the vegetables. Crumble the stock cube into the pot, and stir, allowing the liquid to simmer for 2 minutes or so.

Put the stock pot in a pre-heated oven (180C, 160C fan assisted) for about 90 minnutes, and serve on pilau rice or with naan bread. This recipes serves 3-4, depending on how much of a fat bastard you are.
    To make BIR style currys (British Indain Restuant) you need to make a base or gravy. This can be frozen and makes makes the starting point for an authentic British Indian curry.
    The best recipe I found for this is online.

Check this out.
    http://www.cr0.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,674.html

It seems liek a work up, but you can freeze the base and it use it for months. This is if your serious about curry.
    Weekender Offender 
    I buy a green curry paste and its like play doh! just add it with some veg and coconut milk and voila you have a great thai style curry.
    Might try that at some point, Skive.

I throw together that curry cause its more interesting than a normal stew. It works well with a bit of beef in it too.
    It's not a meal, but a drink (non alcoholic, but I"m sure you could make it that way ;))

My dad makes it in a big thing and has it heating over the stove on low all day. It is a hot drink.

A gallon of apple juice or cider
    Half gallon of cranberry juice
    Slice some oranges, not wedges but full, thin, slices
    Put about half dozen cloves in each orange slice
    Put in juice mix
    Finish by dropping about 2-3 cinnamon sticks in the juice
    Heat

I'm sure vodka would taste good in it too.
    Cottage pie with a chilli twist. Brown off beef mince (2 packs for £4 at Sainsbury) along with a chopped onion. Boil up sliced carrots, parsnips and diced swede. Slap it into a highish sided baking dish. Mix in some sliced chillis add the seeds if you like it hotter, season and throw some basil and bay leaves, a couple of cloves of garlic or whatever takes your fancy. Add beef stock to just cover, but not so the top of the mix is submerged. Put it to one side and let the stock juices work their magic. Boil up a load of potaoes until soft, drain and add a wadge of butter, salt, pepper and grated mature cheddar if you like. Mash it up so it is totally mushed and spoon it in clumps onto the top of the mix, use the back of the spoon to smooth it over and then run a fork over it to get a 'ploughed field' look. Whack it in the oven for 45 mins and the top of the potato will be wonderfully crispy, the meat well tasty and the veg firm and flavoursome.

How long to make this? With practice - 20 mins + 10 for the pots.

Do the same with lamb mince but use lamb stock obviously, and really beef (no pun intended) the seasoning (basil, rosemary, etc, etc...)

The bigger the baking dish the more you can make and freeze down, or if you have the capacity, use multiple smaller dished and bulk it out with as much veg as you want. You can feed a friggin army on this for less than a tenner.
    Goulash - perfect. It's great with noodles, or crusty bread, or you can put some cooked waxy potatoes in the pot towards the end of cooking or even better during reheating because this is much better made a day in advance and reheated for 40 mins at 180 C/gas 4. If you're doing this, don't put the cream in until just before serving.

1 kg braising steak, cubed
    3 Tbsp plain flour
    60 g lard or 3 Tbsp olive oil
    2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
    2 fat cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 big Tbsp paprika
    2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
    750 ml beef stock (from a cube is fine)
    a string tied small bunch of fresh bay, thyme and parsley (if not use dried)
    250 ml soured cream

Preheat oven to 150 C/Gas 2.

Toss the meat in some seasoned flour, brown all over in hot fat in a casserole until it looks dark, then lift it out. Do it in batches so you don't sweat the meat, and hang on to the remaining flour. (If you don't have a flameproof casserole do this in a pan then transfer it over.)

Lightly blister the peppers by flash frying them in the leftover fat, remove and put to one side.

Add the onion and garlic to the fat still in the pan (add more if necessary), gently fry until soft and slightly browned and sprinkle over the paprika. Add the saved flour to the pan and stir through, cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally to stop the floured onion burning.

Add the tomatoes, stir in and bring to a bubble, chuck in the meat and any juices, the herbs and enough stock to just cover the meat, bring to a bubble again.

Put in the oven and braise for 1 hour. Stir in the peppers, braise for a further hour. Tip in the cream, swirl it around a bit and allow it to heat up a bit before serving.
    Cock a leekie soup is a brilliant winter warmer. This version is so easy it's practically foolproof.

1 leek sliced
    1 med potato diced
    1 small onion chopped
    1 pint chicken stock
    130g chicken, cooked and diced
    1 tsp parsley, chopped
    2 Tbsp double cream
    salt and black pepper

Put half the leek and potato in a pan, add all the onion and stock, bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 25 mins.

Blend until smooth.

Return it to the pan, add the remaining leek and potato then cook for 15 mins until soft.

Add the cooked chicken and parsley.

Add the cream, season to taste and stir. Cook for a further 5 mins without boiling, and serve.
    I am so gonna be bookmarking this thread. :yes: :yum:
    We eat more puddings in winter too and this is one of our favourites; it's a chocolate version of that lemon pudding that separates out into a sponge on top and a sauce underneath.

200 g self raising flour
    25g cocoa powder
    200g caster sugar
    75 g dark chocolate, chopped (I use Tesco value)
    180 ml full cream milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    40 g butter, melted
    1 egg

for the sauce;

180g dark muscovado sugar (or other dark brown sugar)
    120g cocoa powder sifted
    500 ml very hot water

Preheat oven to 180 C/Gas 4.

Put all the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa, sugar and chocolate pieces - in a large bowl. In another bowl whisk together the milk, vanilla extract, melted butter and egg. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Pour the mixture into a large buttered dish about 20 cm in diameter. Mix the muscovado sugar and cocoa together and sprinkle on top of the pudding. Pour the hot water on top, no need to stir. Put in the oven for 35 - 40 mins. The pudding should be firm and springy. Serve with cream.
    And this one, sticky toffee pudding, which I have posted before;

It really is easy, you can make the sponge in advance and reheat it too.

I should point out before I start that whilst you're making it this looks like the most revolting thing ever, but it tastes delish so you'll just have to trust me! At least forewarned is forearmed, I got quite a shock the first time I made it!

180g stoned dates (Medjool dates are the best)
    1 tsp bicarb
    160g unsalted butter
    180g golden caster sugar
    2 med eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    180g self raising flour
    120g light muscovado sugar
    4 Tbsp double cream

Chop the dates into small pieces, put into a saucepan with 250 ml water bring to a bubble.

Add the bicarb, be prepared to take it off the heat and stir like crazy whilst it bubbles up (it will subside eventually). Leave to simmer gently for about 5 minutes. (It will look hideous, like nothing you'd ever want to put near your mouth! Don't panic!)

Beat half the butter with the golden caster sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs, vanilla and flour. Then slowly beat in the contents of your saucepan, water and all.

Grease and line a 20cm round or 22cm square baking tin (roughly) - I just line the bottom - pour in the mixture and bake at 180c/gas 4 for 40 minutes.

To make the sauce put the muscovado sugar, remaining butter and cream into a saucepan, stir them together over a low heat until melted, then whack up the heat and bring it to a good boil for a couple of minutes.

Serve the sponge sliced into portions and pour over the sauce. I think double cream to pour is a necessity with this too. More than enough to feed 8 greedy people, but could well stretch to 10 or 12 I reckon, cause trust me, you don't need much of this!
    Try sprinkling a little nutmeg or cinnamon into a casserole for a bit of winter warmth. But not too much though, or you will overpower all the other flavours :yum:
    How about this for a real winter treat when time is short and your tummy is rumbling..

Very mature cheddar, sliced
    Small cooking onion, diced
    Ham from the butchers cut into ribbons
    Birdseye chilli chopped and deseeded
    Button mushrooms or tomato sliced
    Two slices of decent bread
    Black pepper

You know what to do... toast bread and then butter, put the cheese base down, intertwine the ham ribbons with the chilli and onion and then put a slice of mushroom or tomato (or both) on each quarter quadrant and grill it until the cheese is bubbling and totally melted. Black pepper to season and splash on a bit of Lee and Perrins or Tabasco if needed

Everytime I make this I have a group of people around me saying, "Ooooh that looks nice - let's try a bit":cool:
    winter bum wrote:
    How about this for a real winter treat when time is short and your tummy is rumbling..

Very mature cheddar, sliced
    Small cooking onion, diced
    Ham from the butchers cut into ribbons
    Birdseye chilli chopped and deseeded
    Button mushrooms or tomato sliced
    Two slices of decent bread
    Black pepper

You know what to do... toast bread and then butter, put the cheese base down, intertwine the ham ribbons with the chilli and onion and then put a slice of mushroom or tomato (or both) on each quarter quadrant and grill it until the cheese is bubbling and totally melted. Black pepper to season and splash on a bit of Lee and Perrins or Tabasco if needed

Everytime I make this I have a group of people around me saying, "Ooooh that looks nice - let's try a bit":cool:
    mmm delish except Idon't like melted mature cheese, if im melting cheese it has to be mild
    VinylVicky wrote:
    mmm delish except Idon't like melted mature cheese, if im melting cheese it has to be mild

Mild barely has any taste .. I'd go for Medium .. ;)

Mature is a bit too strong.
    Mild barely has any taste .. I'd go for Medium .. ;)

Mature is a bit too strong.
    mozerella is the best, medium and mild just too icky for me!
    VinylVicky wrote:
    mozerella is the best

And bland.
    Weekender Offender