Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Christmas lunch alternatives for vegetarians

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently turned vegetarian and my mum has asked me what I want to eat for christmas lunch seeing as I won't be eating turkey. Anyone have any suggestions for a nice alternative?

Comments

• Options
    nut roast :yum: or one of those quorn chicken-alike thingies.
    Id go for nut roast though cos I love that even though im not veggie.
  • Options
    Its a tricky one! Last year I had some kind of mushroom and stiltony cheese puff pastry tartlet thing which my mam made, goes well with all the other stuff. Tesco's have lots of different types of roasts, nut with stilton sauce (have ordered), butternut squash or mushroom and nut roast.

Lots of ideas here!
    http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/christmas.html

Or try Delia's idea. Looks like a LOT of fannying around to me but apparently its not that hard. Might be a pain if only you is eating it
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cheese-and-parsnip-roulade-with-sage-and-onion-stuffing,894,RC.html

One year I shoved a few veggie sausages on the side of my plate and another year I just ate everything else on the table and didn't bother with a substitute! Was too busy worrying about opening presents, gettin drunk, watchin Mary Poppins (Hope its on this yr :D) and eating my own body weight in chocolate to be that bothered about making a veggie alternative
  • Options
    I had something like this one year
    http://www.vegsoc.org/nvw/2006/recipes/alepie.html

and this the next
    http://www.vegsoc.org/xmas2002/chestnut.html

I think this would be well yummy
    http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/different5.html
    nice and wintry and comforting

wonder what I'll have this year :chin:
  • Options
    if you do go for a nut roast. Holland and barrett do a very tasty Cashew nut one, which beats most of the others ive tried. I dont like the peanut based ones very much.
  • Options
    Thanks for that!
    kangoo wrote:
    Tesco's have lots of different types of roasts, nut with stilton sauce (have ordered), butternut squash or mushroom and nut roast.

Looks like i'm going to be checking out Tescos! Butternut squash sounds good, as does the nut with stilton sauce!

Oooh, it makes me hungry just thinking about it! :yum:
  • Options
    from what is already said, not too sure there is much more to say:
    you don't have to do without turkey, there are loads of soy-based 'turkey' alternatives out there. nut roast is always a good substitute too. you could also check out the vegetarian society website for xmas recipies.
  • Options
    I dont like the peanut based ones very much.

They usually taste of gone off peanuts :yuck:
  • Options
    Iv'e got 8 mouths to feed this year, including mine, and i'm the only veggie. So i'll more than likely knock up some nutty/filo pastry kind of thing.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    So i'll more than likely knock up some nutty/filo pastry kind of thing.

You make it sound so easy!! Filo pastry is impossible :grump:
  • Options
    Patience, a light touch and lots of butter, thats all there is to it :)

When we did filo pastry at school we practised using sheets of paper that had been dipped in water then left for a bit. Try it, it's just getting the knack of it. Also keep filo in the fridge until the very last moment you need it, makes working with it easier.
  • Options
    I usually just have all the yorkshire puds and veg with veggie gravy. In previous years I've bunged a linda mccartney pie in the oven but that's about it.
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of nut roast tbh... well I can't remember what it tastes like but it doesn't sound great!

I usually have Linda McCartney Sausages and Quorn Fillets

The last two years though I have had one of these baby's...

Quorn Chicken Style Roast

My sister is a vege too so we share it... :)

I love xmas dinner!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmm