Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lip Piercing

I'm thinking of having my lip pierced. I just have a few questions really.

How much does it hurt? How do they do it? Is there a way of easing the pain when its being done? I have a really bad fear of needles and stuff!

How much does it cost?

Do you have to take it out after a certain length of time (my flat mate had to take her eyebrow piercing out after a while then have it redone)?

How do you clean it?

If you find out it doesn't suit you and stuff and you take it out, does it leave a big scar? How long does it take to heal and stuff?

Err thats about it for now. Thanks.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    is there a way of easing the pain? other than not getting it done, i doubt it.

i can't imagine it suiting you to be honest...:no:
    Mmm fair enough.

Alot of people have said it will suit me.

GAH. I don't knowwww
    where abouts were you thinking of getting it done?
    I'll be honest Stacey I don't think it'll suit you pet. :no:

I was gonna get it but I know it won't suit me. Plus everyone has their lip pierced.

Start off with a nose piercing, you'd suit that better!

xxxx.
    or your tongue. :yes:
    or your tongue. :yes:

:no: Tacky.
    I had my nose done when I was in school.

Mmm. Not sure if I want it done again tbh.

Whenever I had a cold, or sneezed (which I do alot of) it came out! HAHA.

Also, it hurts like hell when bang ur nose :(

Mmm if everyone thinks I won't suit it then maybe I shouldn't have it :chin:
    I used to reeeeeeeally want my lip pierced with a ring. I was about 16 and my mother was totally against it, I begged and begged and begged and just thought that as soon as I turned 18 I'd get it done then. My mother DID let me get my belly-button pierced though. After a few months my body had a weird reaction to the piercing and it grew out, leaving me with a big scar. Someone told me it grew out because it was pierced with a ring so I had it done again with a bar and AGAIN it grew out and the scar was even bigger. Stupidly I had it pierced again to try and hide the scar for a few months and of course it grew out again! So now I have a really big scar! I'm just so glad I didn't get my lip pierced or I could have had a massive scar on my face that you can't ever hide. I guess the old saying "mother's always right" is true. I don't even like lip piercings anymore! They either look tacky or slutty! I don't want to just lecture you, but really think it through before you do it, because once it's done it's too late and even of you take it out, it's going to leave a scar, maybe not big but enough for you to notice it everytime you look in the mirror!
    Right....

How much does it hurt? It will hurt, not the worst pain you'll ever suffer but if you want it, you can take it

How do they do it? If its a reputable establishment (look for cleanliness, proffesionalism - if the piercer is picking his nose in the same gloves he wants to touch you with, im sure you dont want to get pierced by them etc), then the jewellery and the needle will both be unwrapped from sealed packaging in front of you, you'll be swapped, quite possibly have some anastaetic (sp?) applied to numb it, clamped, and stabbed.

Is there a way of easing the pain when its being done? No

How much does it cost? Varies, it costs about £20-£30 in my area

Do you have to take it out after a certain length of time? As in, will it only last a certain amount of time? Lip piercings are somewhat indefinate. All piercings have the potential to grow out, but lip piercings by large do not. Eyebrows and Belly Buttons are more commonly the ones that do grow out...

How do you clean it? There are plenty of methods. A favoured one is Salt Water. Mix salt (table salt is not the most ideal, try and find sea salt or something, but at a push, salt is salt) with warm water. Only a tea spoon or two in a cup.....then use cotton wool soaked in the solution to soak the piercing. No need to be harsh, just remove any obvious crusty crap.

If you find out it doesn't suit you and stuff and you take it out, does it leave a big scar? Not a huge one no.....Ive had mine pierced for almost 6 years now and even when i leave the jewellery out, people dont notice the hole. So, when healed it will be extremely minimal.

How long does it take to heal and stuff? INITIALLY, it should take about 6 weeks. But a piercing will not be fully healed for much longer than that. Remember, it is essentially a wound that you intend to keep open with the jewellery, so as you can imagine it may take some time.

For more info try http://www.tribalectic.com , which has a very extensive community of piercee's and piercers that can help..... http://www.bmezine.com is another good and informative site, but it also has some more extreme body modification stuff on there....thats my warning so that the mods dont tell me off. hehe.
    Hope you make up your mind, and if you do go for it, be informed, and happy healing.
    Peace
    A piercing can easily be taken out, I say if you want it try it and if you don't like it you can always take it out :)
    i suppose i can answer this pretty well seeing as i have 5 of them!

The pain is just a sharp Stab like a blood test sensation when you have it done. the inside and outside of the lip is both frozen but obviously it cant freeze the middle so u feel it going through. you will either feel light headed or feel fine depends on how your body reacts to it, out of the 5 i have been bit dizzy once.
    Your lip will swell up alot so they put a 12mm in, they will ask you back around a week later to get a smaller bar in for free, if the shop deals with that.

Price is around £15-£25 from my experience. go to a well estabilished place as you cna have alot of problems with them if get dirty.

To maintain them, swill you mouth out with Saltwater every few hours and use witchhazel on the outside. obviously it will be sore so just take it easy with it try not to knock it else it will keep swelling.

as My_Name said, if you dont like it you can take it out. after a few weeks it iwll heel up and not have any markings BUT if you leave it in for ages over 3 months the scar tissue will heal around the piercing and you will have a little white dot around you lip, you wont be able to see it from far away but if you really look you can see it.not that bigger deal really.

Dont care about who has and hasnt got it done its your preference.

heres a pic of mine anyway

IMAGE_00087.jpg
    Basically everything AlmightyBob said, but just want to add that not all places will use anaesthetics. When I had my tongue done they just disinfected and went for it. It didn't hurt much, but yeah, it hurt a bit - they are shoving a giant hollow needle through part of your face. I'm generally totally fine with needles and whatnot, but I admit I had to have a wee lie down afterwards.
    i don't think it will suit you either
    Thanks for everyones replies.

Lucifer, I was thinking of having it done on the right side (left side to you), either top or bottom. Want a little bar/stud thing, not a ring.
    1983 wrote:
    I'll be honest Stacey I don't think it'll suit you pet. :no:.

I agree .. I don't think it would look good on ya, more suited to girls with that bride of Dracula look or traveler type look

Your look is more like a young carol voderman .. :p
    Cheers!:yeees:
    I agree .. I don't think it would look good on ya, more suited to girls with that bride of Dracula look or traveler type look

you always make me giggle with how honest and blunt you are :D i do associate lip piercings with moshers though. so people saying it wouldn't suit you is a good thing!
    Cheers!:yeees:

Carol Voderman is well hot, the thinking man's crumpet as they say ...
    Ugh I don't think she is.

Plus those fucking adverts shes on do my head in.

haha that made me laugh SO much.

hopefully i dont have the bride of dracula or traveller type look (what is a traveller type look anyway?) but my lip piercing still suits me :D although i suppose i could be counted as a bit of a mosher...erm...i dunno. alternative i like to say.

stace i say go for it and dont be put off by people thinking you wont suit it, just do it and if you dont suit it/like it take it out, simple as thattt. i dont think it will scar unless you've had it in for years or something.
    Do what I did, get a ring and take the ball out and you can fit it on your lip through the little space. Then you can see what you look like and get peoples reactions, as well as freaking a few people out thinking you've had it done (this was probably more effective when i was 15 and not so many people had it done yet) This worked especially well on my mother :D

Erm if you wern't after a ring I guess you could glue a silver ball to your face
    Oops read the original post and realised I haven't answered your questions!

They don't numb it but there's hardly any pain. They get one of those test tube clamp things like you have in school, hold your lip with it and pierce it with a needle and then put in your chosen jewellery. Only takes a minute or 2 provided he doesnt drop the entire drawer of jewellery on the floor and spend about 5 minutes picking it up while you sit there with a 3 inch needle through your lip. Ahh that was fun :no:

Its a nice easy experience. I don't recall feeling much pain apart from a little jab when it went in. Nothing compared with having my ears pierced which hurt like fuck! You can request to lie down, you can shut your eyes and its over in a matter of minutes. Voila!
    I wanted mine doing on the bottom at one time, so i could have a little stud

But i was advised against it as it can let you down when it comes to getting jobs when you've got facial piercings. And it doesn't suit many people tbh.
    Could always give it a go though, and take it out if it doesnt work.
    I say go for it, it's not like a tattoo, if you don't like it you can take it out and no harm done really.
    I also don't think it'd suit you, but then i think it looks tacky on most people.
    It's a piece of metal being shoved through a layer of flesh. It hurts.

If you don't like needles then why on earth are you considering having your lip pierced by one? :confused:
    It's a piece of metal being shoved through a layer of flesh. It hurts.
    That's a bit silly. Plenty of people don't find piercings hurt them at all.
    what is a traveller type look anyway?

Kinda like this but I think she's attractive

pierced_girl.jpg

BTW a word of warning from Dentists

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4335939.stm
    Ugh I don't think she is.

Plus those fucking adverts shes on do my head in.

For a woman in her 40's she's pretty good,

Plus she aint doing so badly for a chick that only got a 3rd at her Uni degree

3yo5tzd.jpg
    BTW a word of warning from Dentists

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4335939.stm

My dentist always has a go at me every time i go in....

Health proffesionals and piercings just arent a good mix