Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ecstasy and LSD - Class B?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was reading the Metro on my bus today and came across an article in which a professor (can't remember the name) believes that Ecstasy does no long term damage to the brain and that LSD does not create long term phsychosis, which was believed in the 70's. He has asked the drugs minister to down-grade them both to class B, who says he will consider it but is making no promises.

Definately a good move, FINALLY people are beginning to actually pay attention to new scientic evidence and research instead of following their narrow minded views on what has always been socially accepted and what hasn't.
Doubt they'll actually go ahead with it though.
Your views?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I doubt he suggested that MDMA causes no long term damage, whether it does or not is totally open to debate (I think heavy use may well do and so do most scientists).

I suppose it would be a good move, but it would be largely pointless really, MDMA and LSD are treated like Class B or even C drugs at the moment with most people caught for personal use getting a caution.

A more useful thing to do would be to look again the whole law, it clearly isnt fit for purpose and clearly isnt doing any good.

It was proffessor Nutt.
    He might not have said that MDMA does no long term damage to the brain actually I can't really remember, he may have said that the damage it does do is very low compared to popular belief.

True, probably because the prison's are so full, but the point is at least it's a good step in the right direction. At least it means they are starting to actually to pay attention to scientific evidence instead of what is socially accepted. A new look at the whole law is definately what's needed but isn't going to happen any time soon with the state of mind that many politicans have about illegal drugs. However if this re-classification happens it may start to change people's minds about other things...
    Of course, and MDMA isnt as dangerous as many people think.

I dont mean to sound negative about a possible change, I just think the whole classification system is so flawed and so counter productive that to tinker with it actually gives it credibility and therefore gives out the message that it actually has some meaning.
    Would be a good move but in reality it really won't affect anything anyway, most people caught with little amounts of either drug are only given a slap on the wrist, it's only those caught with loads who are given severe punishment.

I know a lad caught with cash,around 90 pills and a couple of grams of cocaine inside a nightclub and he got a fine and suspened sentence, low and behold he's still dealing, just goes to show it doesn't put people off dealing, the cash signs are too hard to resist.

No one really knows the long term effects of ecstacy, we could all be playing with fire and end up like a couch potato when we're 40, but hey we mighn't even live till we're 40.
    budda wrote:
    I suppose it would be a good move, but it would be largely pointless really, MDMA and LSD are treated like Class B or even C drugs at the moment with most people caught for personal use getting a caution.

Would it not help other people to understand that they shouldnt be classed up there with heroin and cocaine? As in people who look down on drugs purely because of there class.
    JamesZero wrote:
    Would it not help other people to understand that they shouldnt be classed up there with heroin and cocaine? As in people who look down on drugs purely because of there class.

Exactly,
    also if they did go ahead with it then it would give more reason for Mushrooms to be re-classified or even legalised again.
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Mushrooms to be re-classified or even legalised again.

I dont think they will ever be legalised again... which is a huge shame, but yeah... them being a class A is just crazy! :no:
    Yep, espescially if they move LSD down to class B.... LSD is a far more powerful hallucinogen than Mushrooms
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Yep, espescially if they move LSD down to class B.... LSD is a far more powerful hallucinogen than Mushrooms

Not necessarily.

If you eat enough shrooms you'll know all about it, never underestimate mushies.
    Shogun wrote:
    Not necessarily.

If you eat enough shrooms you'll know all about it, never underestimate mushies.

Yeah that is completely true, munched 50g's of Hawaiian shrooms in Amsterdam and I was so mashed,
    just saying that if you take an average dose of mushrooms, say 35g's, and 1 or 2 tabs of good LSD, surely you would be more fucked from the acid?
    I've never taken LSD myself so I wouldn't really know, just from what I've heard.
    Their both very different though so it's hard to say, depends on the quality of each.

I remember the last time i took mushies at a festival, too many people and didn't enjoy myself at all, probably wouldn't do them again, well for a good while anyway, years i'm talking.

But LSD, yes please.

The last time i had LSD was them microdots, mad things for the size of them.

Salvia is where it's at when your on the peak of pills, different world altogether.
    Salvia is intense,
    never done it on pills though
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Yeah that is completely true, munched 50g's of Hawaiian shrooms in Amsterdam and I was so mashed,
    just saying that if you take an average dose of mushrooms, say 35g's, and 1 or 2 tabs of good LSD, surely you would be more fucked from the acid?
    I've never taken LSD myself so I wouldn't really know, just from what I've heard.

Its just dose dependant, one isnt stronger than the other in real terms.
    JamesZero wrote:

Do people really pay any attention though? And if you are doing this purely as a PR move then thats a stupid way to run a law.
    budda wrote:
    Do people really pay any attention though?

I'm sure some people must do...
    budda wrote:
    And if you are doing this purely as a PR move then thats a stupid way to run a law.

Yeah thats a fair point, but I didnt mean that should be there soul purpose for doing it, I just said it might help.
    I agree that it would (at least in part) show that the government is constantly reviewing the law based on evidence. And it would help to seperate MDMA users from the stigma of using 'hard drugs'.

But the law is so rotten, and its failing so miserably that to mess about with it in this minor way just seems pointless. It needs a total re-think from top to bottom, something which the government Science Committee suggested but the government said no because they know full well what the results would be. Which is what makes me so angry about the whole thing, the government know full well that their law isnt working and can never work but they persist with it.
    pill 'ed wrote:
    Salvia is intense,
    never done it on pills though

Next time try it when your clean out of it on pills and you'll be brought somewhere else, i had shrek 2's and then waterfalled the stuff, was away with the fairies altogether.
    Shogun wrote:
    Next time try it when your clean out of it on pills and you'll be brought somewhere else, i had shrek 2's and then waterfalled the stuff, was away with the fairies altogether.

'away with the fairies' lol!
    Classing them lower would make people think they are ok and would and a fair amount of people would probably end up doing them excessively, which really isnt healthy. If they were to reclass, i think a lot more education has to be given about drugs to people.
    Dodger wrote:
    'away with the fairies' lol!

That is it though.

Lady Saliva will take a hold of you and let you go when she wants.

;)
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    Classing them lower would make people think they are ok and would and a fair amount of people would probably end up doing them excessively, which really isnt healthy. If they were to reclass, i think a lot more education has to be given about drugs to people.

Not at all mate, classing them lower would make people realise that MDMA and LSD shouldn't be up in the same class as Heroin, Crack, Crystal Meth, Cocaine e.t.c. It will show people that they are risky which is why they are still class B illegal drugs but are no way near as risky or addictive as the other class A's, which is the truth.
    Jonny8888 wrote:

Do you really think there are a lot of people who would think 'oh they must be safer now I'll use more'?

That didnt happen with cannabis and wouldnt happen with MDMA.
    The classing system is a load of balls.
    i wish it was now

I hope they do it. Its too late for me now though. I got caught with 82 pills in april selling to friends and am gettin sentenced next fri. If they were class B like they should be i would prob be ok. Any way i will support legislation to get ecstasy downgraded.
    Why do people choose to alter their brain chemistry with drugs?My drug of choice is booze....alas.But at least you know what you are taking.Or I'll be suing Tesco!
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Alcohol alters your brain chemistry, just as any other drug....