Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job Description

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should I bother applying for a Job which lists "Written and spoken Portuguese or Spanish;" as an essential criteria.

I match most of the rest of the essential and desireable criteria. Plus this was in the desireable criteria for my current job but I still got the job becuase my other skills outweighed the need to speak the langages.

However this job is a readvertisement and judging by the ammount of times they mention the language skills in the advert and additional papers I think that in the last round they were not able to find anyone who could speak the langages and had the other skills needed.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How much effort will you have to put into the application?

If it's no skin off your nose it's worth a shot, just don't lie.
    Its an application form which is fairly straight forward and then a personal statement which is less straight forward - hummmm
    Got one you can recycle?
    Can't you phone them or something and ask them how essential it is?
    essential means essential, so unless you can ring them as lacymay said, i wouldnt bother

good luck though
    Littleali wrote:
    essential means essential

It doesn't always, depends how desperate they are getting!
    It doesn't always, depends how desperate they are getting!
    fair enough, but theres a difference between "microsoft office experience essential" and "written or spoken spanish essential"

mainly because training can be given in a package, where as if you dont know spanish, you dont know spanish! :thumb:

it is obviously required for the job and isnt something that is easy to be trained up on
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Whenever I come across a job that says xyz essential or desirable and I don't have these things but would like the job then I always apply for the job regardless. What's the worst that can happen? They say that you don't have the right skills and turn you down.

Apply for the job, Wyetry. The worst they can do is say no.
    Littleali wrote:
    is obviously required for the job and isnt something that is easy to be trained up on

Each to their own, but Spanish evidently isn't essential as there is an option between portugese and spanish, which implies that there is a degree of flexibilty.

Your call wyetry but I would knock off a personnal statement (don't put much effort in though) and give it a shot. If nothing else you'll then have a personnal statement started that you can adjust for the next job.h
    Apply for it, as has been said they can only say no. Seeing as you apply for jobs that need this skill, why don't you look into learning a new language? Better job opportunities!
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Apply for it, as has been said they can only say no. Seeing as you apply for jobs that need this skill, why don't you look into learning a new language? Better job opportunities!

This does seem like a good idea.
    I am currently filling in the application form - but yes I am learning spanish slowly anyway as part of my current job. I'm just really bad at languages.

But its liasing with partners in brazil but also south east asia and southern africa so the Latin American bit is only part of the job - hummm. I'd even offer to job share.......
    heard anythin yet?x
    As has been said already it is a bit random that they want Spanish or Portuguese, i.e. neither one can be essential to the job.

Good luck :)
    If it just says 'written and spoken spanish or portugese' and doesn't specify 'fluent', and you're learning spanish as part of your current job i don't see why you shouldn't apply as you can write and speak at least some spanish. Go for it!