Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Any point?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been thinking about going to the doctors because I've been very stressed and low for about 3 weeks... But I'm not really sure if there's any point.

I don't want meds; and I don't think they'd offer me them anyway... But I've already seen two counsellors, a psychotherapist and a psychiatrist (sp?) over the past 4 years... mostly been unhelpful... But when it has helped I end up back at square one a few weeks or months later anyway, so I don't see them putting me on some huge waiting list to see someone either.

I feel like I've hit my rock-bottom again and I'm really fed up cos it's so hard to fight it and try to be positive.

And I'm really trying hard not to let my apetite be affected by it, cos I can't eat when I'm low... But that is really hard too and I'm scared of losing weight, as I've only just managed to reach 7 stone after 4 years of struggling up to it. :(

Do you think I should just battle it out a while longer and see if my mood lifts, or should I grit my teeth and go to the docs? I'm really in two minds about it.

Comments

• Options
    I think you have to do something - whether it be helping yourself or asking someone else to help you. You could start by considering what is stressing you out and making you feel low at the moment, if you haven't considered what that is already. Then take a look at ways of reducing that stress - certainly a search of these forums or Google will bring up suggestions to help you get started.

It all requires some motivation, which I know can be difficult when you're feeling low. If you feel it's too much to do, then it might be worth calling on the help of someone else to point you in the right direction e.g. a doctor or a friend.

Hope that helps and hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    I'd grit your teeth and try it, they may have some ideas of simple lifestyle things that may help a bit...

Good luck.
  • Options
    Yeah I think it's probably worth going, just to talk to someone if nothing else. Sometimes it's not until you have some uninterrupted 'me' time just to rant that you realise how many stressors you have in your life. Pinpointing the problem is the first step to resolving it, so give it a go :)
  • Options
    end of the day whether you see your doctor or a counselor or whoever, there is absolutly nobody who can magically make you feel better. - only you can do that. i mean, you could see your gp who would most likely put you on antidepressants or similar, but its always going to be down to you to help yourself in the end, so in response to your question, i'd say 'keep battling' it. especially make a conscious effort to look after yourself, just doing little things to take care of yourself can sometimes make you feel better about yourself and your situation / the world around you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gunna see how I go over the weekend, and then maybe make a doctors appointment on Monday.