Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jackson Pollock fans delight

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
As Kimono rightly pointed out - this is so satisfying:

http://www.jacksonpollock.org/

:D

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Sorry Jim - I got there first :p but you're right it is quality.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Haha I spotted you beating Jim :D

Thats cool!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    aww thats just brilliant!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i sat there for ages, waiting for something to load, and it didnt. so i went to close the window and viola! within minutes I had a rather colourful piece of modern art!
    "It's Jackson Pollocks" [/1980s Fosters Advert]
    :yippe:

I saw some of his "work" at the Tate Modern recently.
    Surely this shows that any old muppet can paint like Jackson Pollock?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Surely this shows that any old muppet can paint like Jackson Pollock?

Well, pretty much so.
    so what if you/they could.
    people who dont understand anything about art make comments like that.
    so what if you/they could.
    people who dont understand anything about art make comments like that.

I understand quite a lot about art having studied art history at school. However, I do not consider a bed, or a tent with some scrawlings on them art. It is just shit, talentless and meaningless.

I love the story about the guy who dropped his wallet in the Tate Modern. When he went back to it, a crowd had formed around it, staring pensively at it. When he picked it up, an usher came and told him not to touch it until he pointed out that it was his wallet. Kinda says something about your average modern art hack doesn't it.

You see, I would have done what Pollock did but sadly as he's considerably older than me, he got there first.

I like art where you can actually see some discernable talent. As I write, I glance to my right and see my lovely dog-eared Edward Hopper book lying on my desk. Now there's a guy who could actually paint. Him, Hockney, Grant Wood and Goya are my favourite artists. Them and Banksy.
    who is anyone else to judge the "talent" behind someone elses creativity.
    You might not like something, but that doesnt mean its not art if the person put it together creatively.
    who is anyone else to judge the "talent" behind someone elses creativity.

Opinion, subjectivity, take your pick.

You might not like something, but that doesnt mean its not art if the person put it together creatively.

And how does someone put something together uncreatively?

And what is art?

Blind sweeping statements like that need some clarification if you're going to use them in your argument.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Opinion, subjectivity, take your pick.

That ^ . I dislike this, I think it isn't art too. I fail to see the talent or anything put into it. I am going to enter my first car in the tate modern once I finish with it, all full of rubnbish and beat up. See if anyone buys it for a fortune. Hope so.
    Would be interesting to see you embroider your tent gerbil, but anyway for those that didn't see it before it vanished into smoke here's the tent

http://departments.vassar.edu/~jamundy/Everyone1.html

Though of course, the letters, messages, etc aren't readable at this distance - you had to go inside to read them.
    How is that art?
    What, a hand made object expressing regret and love about previous lovers, revealing the details of past experiences and she feels about them now with a tacticle object people can interact with? A rememberance of mistakes and pleasures presented in visual form?

How is it not art? You may not like it - but I'm not sure what else it could be - after all isn't all art the expression of an artist upon an object - whether it's a piller of stone or a tent.

After all the idea that art is just about an exactly representation of reality, or had to only be 'nice' to look at pretty much died out in the renaissance.
    You've got to admit it though, a lot of "modern" and "post-modern" art is just a pile of crap.
    What I dont get is bloody shakespeare - I mean call that writing? Its just a load of WORDS.
    anyone can write a load of words.
    What I dont get is bloody shakespeare - I mean call that writing? Its just a load of WORDS.
    To be honest I find Shakespeare very over-rated as well although I detect a bit of sarcasm in your post.
    Don't be stupid.

A messy bed is something a teenager can do, it's not art. Painting an 4mx6m canvas blue is what a painter and decorator does every day. It's just not art, it's pointless.
    It's your opinion, I wasn't aware I was saying you weren't allowed to like the art you do - so might be nice if you didn't tell me what art I'm allowed to enjoy.
    Alright, probably a bit harsh their Fiend - but my point, put better (sorry...) is - beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Don't be stupid.

A messy bed is something a teenager can do, it's not art. Painting an 4mx6m canvas blue is what a painter and decorator does every day. It's just not art, it's pointless.
    Its not stupid - Art comes from within. Its the creative expression of the person who makes it. If someone just doesnt make their bed, its just an unmade bed. If someone consciously creates something in a certain way to express themselves, then whether you like it or not, or whether someone else thinks its too simple matters not. Art is not just about the end product and its not just about pleasing everyone and/or doing some complicated drawing or painting.

Writing generally is a load of words. And sometimes, there are dots, commas and all sorts of other weird shit.

Yeah, give x number of monkeys x number of typewriters and they will eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. After all, it is surely just a set sequence of letters and spaces?

Shakespeare is absolutely fantastic. His skill with words is unparalelled (well, apart from by Cervantes), his storytelling, the plots, the nuances, the jokes. Calling Shakespeare just a load of words smacks of gross ignorance.
    Its the creative expression of the person who makes it. If someone just doesnt make their bed, its just an unmade bed. If someone consciously creates something in a certain way to express themselves, then whether you like it or not, or whether someone else thinks its too simple matters not.

So what's to stop me crapping on the floor and then saying I consciously created it as a way to express myself through the medium of faeces? Is that art? Is it fuck.
    well I wouldnt buy it personally, but if that was your medium, then good for you.
    So, I take it there wouldn't be too many devotees of the arty irreverence of Marcel Duchamp and particularly his infamous "urinal",here?! He be the 'big daddy' of all this mod and post-mod "pile of crap" and an artistic liberator from the stale and limited conceptions of what it means to be an artist producing art. Great/good art is about challenging and disturbing and provoking and revealing....looks like it's succeeded in doing so here!

By the way, anyone feel like being 'wrapped up' by "Christo?!":)
    I was going to mention the urinial actually - especially the break from art as beauty into art as meaning.