Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

bleaching hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
on a whim / bored, decided to try and bleach my hair practically white (was at the time light light blonde).

it's taken pretty well though there is still a little yellow in it.

i know all the shizz about using purple shampoos, etc already. but can anyone who has bleached their hair, at any stage, or had it done, tell me anything else i can do to look after my hair? stop it fading, keep away the yellow, etc. xxthx.

Comments

• Options
    I used hemp hair repair by Alterna. Its not cheap at £20 a bottle but is the best thing I've used and my hair is bleached to within a millimetre of its life.
  • Options
    be careful when you straighten because its so easy to fry the ends of bleached hair. I used to get my ends cut off every month at least
  • Options
    You can use a toner (an ash one would probably be best) which does a similar job to the purple shampoos. That gets rid of any brassy tones in your hair. You can apply that every once in a long while to brighten it up a bit and remove the dirt that tends to dull blonde hair. :thumb:
  • Options
    what do purple shampoos do to blonde hair? i've used them before but thought they were purple for prettiness
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    what do purple shampoos do to blonde hair? i've used them before but thought they were purple for prettiness
    They act like a toner and kind of counteract any bright brassy tones. I don't think they work quite as well as a proper toner, I think they're used more regularly to keep the colour in tact. If you think of a colour wheel, purple and yellow are the oppostie colours, so that's why it's purple!