Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Veganism

2»

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Im astounded by the details in this thread. I was a vegetarian for years, and NEVER suffered from people asking me why or asking my reasons behind it. It is a perfectly normal and excepted thing. I have more people ask me now why I decided to eat meat again. i think the words Mountain and Molehill should be used in this thread.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I eat meat because I like it. I go hunting because I like it. I take medicines that are tested on animals.

That means I don't care about animal welfare though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    and i think maybe Food and Drink would be best.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    rachie004 wrote:
    No no no.. the most annoying thing is when they say 'Gosh I couldn't live without meat' which is all very well and good but I didn't realise that anyone was asking them to

When people ask me my reasons I tell them and then they look at me as if I'm lecturing them :rolleyes:
    Yeah... It's like "why couldn't you live without it? Millions of people survive fine!"
    Im astounded by the details in this thread. I was a vegetarian for years, and NEVER suffered from people asking me why or asking my reasons behind it. It is a perfectly normal and excepted thing.

Maybe you're from a different place to where others of us are from? When I asked if the cheese on my meal was vegetarian in a resteraunt the table next to mine stopped talking and looked at me like I'm a martian. Had the same thing when I went to a chippy in Wrexham and asked if they do anything suitible for vegetarians other than chips. One of my mateswas unhappy with me because we went halves on a pizza and he wanted a meat feast.

I've had it a lot really, mainly off people at home and less down south. I like to cok for people and trade cooking tips and stuff.
  • Options
    If you swallow your boyfriends cum, does that mean you can't be vegan? :confused:
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I'm a postmodern vegetarian myself, I eat meat ironically.
    :lol: YES!:thumb:
  • Options
    I've been vegetarian for a long long time, and would like to be able to be vegan, as morally I agree with it, but I'm too worried about the effect on my weight. I tried it for a couple of weeks and lost over half a stone, and I'm already a size 8 and don't really want to get any smaller!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I asked if the cheese on my meal was vegetarian
    Sorry, may I ask what that means? The way I see it, vegetarians don't mind eating cheese since it's not made of meat, and vegans don't eat cheese at all because it comes from animals.
  • Options
    Sorry, may I ask what that means? The way I see it, vegetarians don't mind eating cheese since it's not made of meat, and vegans don't eat cheese at all because it comes from animals.

I was going to ask this as well. As for vegans and eating cheese - I think there's cheese made with soya milk that they can have.
  • Options
    Because some cheeses use rennet to seperate the curds and whey. Rennet comes from, if i remember correctly, the lining of a cows stomach.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Because some cheeses use rennet to seperate the curds and whey. Rennet comes from, if i remember correctly, the lining of a cows stomach.
    :yes:
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    the most annoying thing is when they say 'Gosh I couldn't live without meat'

grrr it makes you wish they would try it so they'd roll over and die and the world would be freed of another idiot
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

Right thats put me right off cheese.
  • Options
    Do you like dumplings ? Suet is the shredded, hardened fat from around an ox's kidneys :D

Thank God they make vegetable suet now :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Do you like dumplings ? Suet is the shredded, hardened fat from around an ox's kidneys :D

Thankfully i don't like dumplings. If i did i'd be throwing them at your head right about now :p
  • Options
    most cheese is actually veggie now, apart from speciality cheese

LOADS of stuff has random parts of animal in! you wouldn't expect to find cows hoof in your strawberry yoghurt but you do. even wine can have bits of cow in, and fish. yum
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

But isn't vegetable suet a hydrogenated fat? Deadly! :nervous:
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

I buy vegetable suet, even though im not veggie
    Dumplings are excellent!
    fact.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    But isn't vegetable suet a hydrogenated fat? Deadly! :nervous:

I choose hydrogenated fat over hardened ox insides anyday!
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:

Now it makes sense. Thanks.
  • Options
    any kind of suet isnt really a healthy option tbh.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    I choose hydrogenated fat over hardened ox insides anyday!

But hydrogenated fat is worse for you and will kill you quicker than hardened ox insides.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    kangoo wrote:
    LOADS of stuff has random parts of animal in! you wouldn't expect to find cows hoof in your strawberry yoghurt but you do. even wine can have bits of cow in, and fish. yum

Well at least none of it is wasted eh?

If it aint too unhealthy and it tastes good, I'll eat it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yeah if they're gonna kill animals then you're right, it is much better to use it all

But still...:yuck:
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    But hydrogenated fat is worse for you and will kill you quicker than hardened ox insides.
    yeah but hardened ox insides kill the ox quicker.

not all vegetarians do it for health reasons.
  • Options
    I was vegan for a year because yes the way they treat the animals is digusting!

I couldn't last any longer than that though.........

Now I try and get my eggs from a local free range farm - I am also actively seeking somewhere to get farm made milk and cheese.