Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do you think of this watch? Guys in partic.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Boyfriend wants a watch for christmas. I'm not spending a fortune, as I've already spent about £80 on him, and it's not even essential I buy him anything else, as have some v. good presents in that. :p

He's not a "fussed" kind of person - can be very difficult to get an opinion out of him on anything. I do know that he'd prefer a metal strap to a leather one, and that he has quite skinny wrists so nothing too huge! He likes black, and purple, and red, kinda gothy, but not in the multiple piercings/coloured hair way, just likes his long leather jacket.

Argos wont let me steal their picture, so here's the link;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2530781/Trail/C%24cip%3D42649.Jewellery%2Band%2Bwatches%3EC%24cip%3D42730.Men%26%2339%3Bs%2Bwatches%3EC%24cip%3D42734.Men%26%2339%3Bs%2Bfashion%2Bwatches.htm

I quite like it, but might hate it in person, planning on having a nosy in store later. Thoughts, or recommendations? Would rather not go above £35.

Comments

• Options
    its ok

inoffensive like, so cant see why he wouldnt like it :)
  • Options
    2772226SPA65UC260765X.jpg
    lol
  • Options
    The face looks quite small, like a womens watch. Although that might just be the angle of the photo.
  • Options
    just had a mooch, there are well nicer ones on there, some of the bench n jeff banks ones are nicer
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    just had a mooch, there are well nicer ones on there, some of the bench n jeff banks ones are nicer
    :yes:

but even so.. maybe you shouldn't get him a watch if you are only going to be paying £25-30 . because a watch is soemthing which you would normally spend a lot fo money on so that its long lasting and is of good quality. you can tell a cheap watch from a mile away. i'm sure he'll be happy with all his other presents
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    because a watch is soemthing which you would normally spend a lot fo money on so that its long lasting and is of good quality.
    Yep. If I only own one of something, I make sure it's a good one. I've got one watch and one pair of sunglasses, but they're both expensive (to me) ones.
  • Options
    Yep. If I only own one of something, I make sure it's a good one. I've got one watch and one pair of sunglasses, but they're both expensive (to me) ones.
    yes thats why i spend so much on ym hair because i wear it every day!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    yes thats why i spend so much on ym hair because i wear it every day!
    £5 short back and sides for me. And if I have a day off during the week, I can pretend I'm unemployed and get it a pound cheaper. :D
  • Options
    Heya,

The design is OK, a bit safe, but you know!

But if you are going for a metal strap, dont buy Ben Sherman.
    The mechanism is appaling, and the cheapest you can get, it'll last 3 months tops...
  • Options
    It's alright, but if you're going to go for that style of watch, I'd suggest you have a look at Next. The one I got was £35 and its lasted me years.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    lipsy wrote:
    you can tell a cheap watch from a mile away.

This is so true, and I am sorry to say, that looks it. Pop to Next like Kermit suggests, and look in there. I have a real thing with watches, think it comes from my job in jewelery shop. Sorry, just please dont buy it.

ETA: Lipsy is bang on with the connection to chavs, and from his description, I dont know if that will go down all that well.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    ETA: Lipsy is bang on with the connection to chavs, and from his description, I dont know if that will go down all that well.
    well the picture of the hat i posted was actually the free gift that came with the watch! :lol:
  • Options
    I personnally like this one --> Clicky
  • Options
    i'm not that keen on it.

i'd be careful about buying a watch, they're quite personal things. and he's gonna wear it every day so it needs to be good quality and he needs to like it.

i bought my ex a £100 fossil watch which i thought he'd like. of course i could never guarantee he'd like it so i insisted that he told me if he wasn't that keen and he did just that. i wasn't at all offended; infact i would've been more offended if he kept it and didn't wear it. he felt really bad bless him! he liked the watch but it wasn't really him - when he tried it on i could see that. :)
  • Options
    I bought a £110 hamnett watch of price drop tv for only something like £20! My suggestions, flick channels. :D

I dont mind that watch tbh, its what your bf likes. If you think he would like it buy it. Although if your not sure keep the reciept.

good luck
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    well the picture of the hat i posted was actually the free gift that came with the watch! :lol:
    :lol: oh dear lord!!

But as HIT and Lucifer Devil say you can always take it back, but its good to have a good product to start with. Just keep looking around, I am sure you will find something sometime, if not, just dont buy it, and save up for his birthday.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I bought a £110 hamnett watch of price drop tv for only something like £20! My suggestions, flick channels. :D
    I'm sure I've told you not to believe the price they claim it's worth. Look they're £30 each.
  • Options
    :lol:

and i bet HIT is really a middle aged housewife watching price drop and qvc all day :razz:
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    :lol:

and i bet HIT is really a middle aged housewife watching price drop and qvc all day :razz:
    I can just see it now, in a pinny, and a floury rolling pin in one hand, the phone in the other watching the diamonique section of QVC ;)
  • Options
    I'm sure I've told you not to believe the price they claim it's worth. Look they're £30 each.
    Well what do you know. My watch aint listed. (too expensive) :razz:
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Well what do you know. My watch aint listed. (too expensive) :razz:

Eugh, you sound like my boyfriends mom :p

I like the one you posted, Kate, round faces definatly, square are girly. Though is the face of it black, I hope its just the lighting that makes it purple :p
  • Options
  • Options
    i dont thik u cud go far wrong with that. it pretty nice
  • Options
  • Options
    I have a lovely Armani watch which is great. Also have a Fossil one somewhere aswell I think...
  • Options
    Loads of lovely watches on e-bay ....
  • Options
    Ben sherman = shit.
    Only buy that watch if the bloke has no taste.
    River island have nice watches if you're on a budget, otherwise diesel or fossil are probably the best.
  • Options
    In that case will have a look around in Next tomorrow.

I saw the one I posted in Argos today, and thought it looked too big for his wrist. He's a skinny boy. Did see another (similar one) that I thought was nice, pretty much the same but definate black screen and it has no date thingy.

Apart from a computer game (which I don't trust him not to buy himself before christmas) a watch was the only thing he said he specifically wanted, everything else I've bought him has been on things I've picked up on over the last year, so if possible I'd like to get him one.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Ben sherman = shit.
    Only buy that watch if the bloke has no taste.
    River island have nice watches if you're on a budget, otherwise diesel or fossil are probably the best.
    I bought a nice ben sherman coat for a one'er.

Its swade. :cool: