Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Farepak response fund due to shut tonight 18:00 29/11/06

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know what your views are on this terrible mess but I donated a few pounds to help. See story :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6194136.stm

If you can make a donation, you can do it here (and if you are a UK tax payer, they get even more back!) :-

http://www.farepakresponsefund.org.uk/

You will feel all warm 'n glowy afterwards ... :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I feel very sorry for the people who lost money, and the people who caused that company to collapse should be put in prison for fraudulently obtaining the money of the victims. They knew the company was going to fold six months ago.

As for the fund, I won't donate. I feel very sorry, but these families will live without the latest x-box- there are hundreds of charities which help people who won't live without the aid.
    Kermit wrote:
    As for the fund, I won't donate. I feel very sorry, but these families will live without the latest x-box- there are hundreds of charities which help people who won't live without the aid.

That's true and fair enough .... I do like to think that sometimes charity begins at home though ... :)

But I doubt any of these kids will get X Boxes now - but a nice warm Christmas lunch would be nice. :)
    Why?

(Sorry if going off thread)

i have never understood why some people think that other people of the same nation are more deserving of help then foreigners.

it makes absolutely no sense to me.......
    Toadborg wrote:
    Why?

(Sorry if going off thread)

i have never understood why some people think that other people of the same nation are more deserving of help then foreigners.

it makes absolutely no sense to me.......

I'm not. I used the term 'sometimes' - not 'always'.
    You should look after your family and your local community first, and then worry about everyone else later.

I do worry about these families- I expect many will become clients of GWST in February- but I think there are more important things. But the things I think are important are because of my family- for instance my charity is the Children's Heart Unit Fund because of my sister-in-law's congenital heart defect.
    I know what you are saying, Kermit, and it's cool. :)

I only gave them £2 which is all I feel I can afford for the moment.
    Kermit wrote:

I fear many of them will just put it on credit cards or other loans, talking of which I got an offer for a cash loan recently with an interest rate of only 117%.

The interviews with the families who have lost out have been quite depressing, it seems that Christmas to them is purely about presents and spending money. I'm not suggesting that they should all go to Church, but concentrating on family and friends and the simple things might be a good idea. If your five year old doesnt get the all singing all dancing toy they want they are not going to die.
    budda wrote:
    If your five year old doesnt get the all singing all dancing toy they want they are not going to die.

I know .. but they are only five! :crying:

Just think, when they are married themselves one day, this is gonna be one sorry story for them to tell their kids. I just felt that they may have had a happy ending to it and be able to say "But luckily there were a few people kind people on TheSite discussion board (which is still running strong in 2030!) who tried to help in their small way." ;)

Ah well, I guess my idea was misguided.

Sorry all. Ignore this post.
    Teagan wrote:
    I know .. but they are only five! :crying:

When you're that young you dont need much more than some rapping paper, lots of sugar and to play some silly games with your family.
    I gave some money to them, because I'll have a decent Xmas with plenty of food, pressies etc and can afford to give some cash to help someone else.

At the end of the day you can't help everybody, so I have my favourite charities which I pay every month and then just some ad-hoc ones which I'll drop some money in tin or envelope or do a few pounds on the never-never, for the slightly selfish reason of it making me feel good.
    budda wrote:
    I fear many of them will just put it on credit cards or other loans, talking of which I got an offer for a cash loan recently with an interest rate of only 117%.

On the plus side, it keeps the Boss in work...

It does depress me how all the interviews have focused on how much the kids will "suffer" by not having their toys. Most kids think the box is better anyway.
    Kermit wrote:
    It does depress me how all the interviews have focused on how much the kids will "suffer" by not having their toys. Most kids think the box is better anyway.

Exactly, when I think back to Christmas's when I was a kid I dont remember the presents I got I remember having fun with my family.
    I've always had the attitude that no matter how hard up someone in this country is, there's always (in theory anyway) support available paid for by the taxes that I already contribute. If there's something I want doing, I'll lend my support to a group lobbying as to how that money should be spent. This isn't true of a family in Africa who can't get food and have no hope other than a charity helping them, and so I'd be more inclined to give to someone outside this country.

And I feel sorry for the people who lost their money, but I don't think someone having to eat an economy turkey rather than a deluxe turkey for their Xmas dinner is a particularly crucial cause.
    budda wrote:
    Exactly, when I think back to Christmas's when I was a kid I dont remember the presents I got I remember having fun with my family.

I remember lots of my presents when I was very young - mainly 'cos I know my parents often struggled to get them for me. Maybe that's why I feel I have more of an affinity with these kids?
    When I was a kid I enver expected anything big because we never got anything big. Most of our presents were surprises. Some of my friends were spoilt rotten though. I know someone who got a pony for christmas ffs. :eek2:. I used to get those little toy cars :D
    I've always had the attitude that no matter how hard up someone in this country is, there's always (in theory anyway) support available paid for by the taxes that I already contribute.

This is the extent of the support our Government provides for the most vulnerable families.

Fucking disgusting. And far more important than an economy turkey, although I do agree with Teagan's intentions and don't want to make him feel stupid.
    Kermit wrote:
    This is the extent of the support our Government provides for the most vulnerable families.

Fucking disgusting. And far more important than an economy turkey, although I do agree with Teagan's intentions and don't want to make him feel stupid.
    I bet that economy turkey wasn't free range though. See look at the can of worms we're opening here. :p And I agree that the government doesn't solve every problem in this country (or even any) but you've already put your money in, so it should just be a case of campaigning for how it is to be spent (maybe helping people rather than killing them might be a start). And as much as I slag the government off, they do try, which is more than people in some parts of the world get. Not that this should be a competition or anything, I'm just explaining why I would be more likely to give to certain charities.
    I don't think they do try at anything apart from lining their own pockets. That's especially true of our greedy local government officials.

Point is that the Government don't come close to solving things, and to think that taxation means your duty is done is ridiculous.

Help people who deserve help. Murder in cold blood and spend the rest of your life in solitary.
    Kermit wrote:
    Point is that the Government don't come close to solving things, and to think that taxation means your duty is done is ridiculous.
    No, I said that taxation should be my duty done. You got an issue? Well talk to him, because I gave all my money to him to help solve these problems.
    I think it's hypocritical the amount MPs get paid and when there is an emergency like this they don't give anything back. Of course, there have been more serious ones, but whilst they'll be at home drinking £200 bottles of wine bought on their expenses accounts the people who elected them (or some of them anyway) will be having some measly meal.

Reminds me of scrooge :(
    I think it's hypocritical the amount MPs get paid and when there is an emergency like this they don't give anything back. Of course, there have been more serious ones, but whilst they'll be at home drinking £200 bottles of wine bought on their expenses accounts the people who elected them (or some of them anyway) will be having some measly meal.

Reminds me of scrooge :(

Why is that hypocritical? Businesses fail all the time.

ETA - And, I dont think this is an 'emergency' at all - worst case situation the family just doesnt really have a christmas, is that really all that bad?
    I think it's hypocritical the amount MPs get paid and when there is an emergency like this they don't give anything back.

I don;t see why they should- businesses fail all the time. With small businesses failure means lots of Christmases on the cheap for the proprietors.
    This is criminal fraud by a major company that has directly affected the very poorest in our society - for a take with a bit more empathy see the original thread, and it's worth bearing in mind that many users and their relatives here have been affected by this -

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=108184&highlight=farepak
    I've always had the attitude that no matter how hard up someone in this country is, there's always (in theory anyway) support available paid for by the taxes that I already contribute. If there's something I want doing, I'll lend my support to a group lobbying as to how that money should be spent.

That's a very sad (and misguided) view of society. There are countless instances of individuals and charities making a real difference and often succeeding where government initiatives fail. Camila Batmanghelidjh and Kids Company, the Samaritans and the charity behind TheSite seem pretty obvious examples.

And I don't see why the support of your taxes and government should be the sole form of supporting those who need help; since private charities and Churches often seem to make better use of their resources than government why should the State have a monopoly on helping the needy?

And if there is something you want doing a pound donated directly to a particularly charity concerned with that cause will go a lot further than a pound assigned by the government to addressing that issue...
    budda wrote:

ETA - And, I dont think this is an 'emergency' at all - worst case situation the family just doesnt really have a christmas, is that really all that bad?

I have just gone back and rounded up my donation to £10 ... 'cos you're right, me losing £10 won't make much difference to my Christmas but I certainly hope it helps someone elses.
    And I don't see why the support of your taxes and government should be the sole form of supporting those who need help; since private charities and Churches often seem to make better use of their resources than government why should the State have a monopoly on helping the needy?
    Who said they should? I was just saying that it would be my personal choice to give money to someone who otherwise wouldn't have a cat in hells chance of getting any help whatsoever if the charity didn't exist.
    I won't donate on principle. The moral responsibility here lies with the bank and company involved not with me. By dionating we effectively bail them out for screwing over the people affected.

There should be a public flogging IMHO
    budda wrote:

Kermit wrote:
    I don;t see why they should- businesses fail all the time. With small businesses failure means lots of Christmases on the cheap for the proprietors.

To answer both of you:

businesses fail, but the scale of the effect this is having on so many... I mean really if I was a bit more pro-active I would organise something. In fact :chin: there may not be time left but nevermind. I remember when I was young we sent present parcels to kosovo - basically we got a shoebox and filled it with little presents, chocolate, beanies, old toys and the like. I bet a fair few of us have toys up in the attic still.

And we may say 'every year people go without' well maybe it takes a story like this to make us realise that, and prompt us into giving more charity. I don't know if I can afford to give lots of money, but old toys and such, well why not?

MPs who are elected by these people should be fighting for them, but out of 450 mps (or something like that) only 90 contributed to the fund. 'Why should an MP have to pay out of his personal money for his electors?'

Two reasons I see:
    - social responsibility, as the rep. of a community he should set an example so that others will give as well. He should try and raise the profile, put across the plight of the people who've lost their money.
    - basic decency, these people voted him in to look after their wishes, and he'll go to parliament once a week and take a vote, but will he stoop down to their level and help out of his pocket? Doesn't seem so.

If you've ever read the Tamuli by David Eddings, it shows how the church that should represent and protect the people was corrupt. So they formed a new sect, and all the members had to take a vow of poverty, so that the people they looked after received 100% of what they should. I'm not saying they should go that far, but it's the principle really.

On a salary of £60,277 and an expense account up to £80k for staff, £5k for computers and £20k for rates etc. I think they could afford to give a little back.

Yea, people in other parts of the world are more needy. But the MPs should be concerned about the people who voted them in first and foremost, as that is his responsibility.

For the purpose of readability I referred to MPs as 'he' when they could be female, or indeed a hermaphrodite
    On a salary of £60,277 and an expense account up to £80k for staff, £5k for computers and £20k for rates etc. I think they could afford to give a little back.
    For the purpose of readability I referred to MPs as 'he' when they could be female, or indeed a hermaphrodite

Without wishing to be cynical if they used anything but their salary to make private donations to charity they are committing fraud - despite what the papers say the expenses can only be claimed for specific purposes.

Plus you don't know what else they give too. Most MPs get hundreds (if not thousands) of letters which basically demand donations because you're an MP. Perhaps the MPs who didn't donate to fairpak had already given lots to children's cancer or Oxfam.

Finally its their pay - they can do with as they wish.
    I won't donate on principle. The moral responsibility here lies with the bank and company involved not with me. By dionating we effectively bail them out for screwing over the people affected.

There should be a public flogging IMHO

So it follows then that we shouldn't raise funds for starving Africans because the moral responsibility for looking after them lies with their government?

How often do victims of robberies get their belongings back in spite of the criminals being brought to justice? We are not 'bailing' out the banks but the people AFFECTED by them. Getting on a moral high horse about who is to blame is cold comfort to the THOUSANDS of families who have been effectively robbed.

These are fellow human beings who have been robbed and if my £10 can make a family just feel a little bit better at Christmas, then I don't mind giving it up.

I must say, in general, many of the responses on this board have rather disappointed me ... I thought human beings were actually nicer than this. I realise that most people on here probably don't have the means to contribute money so that doesn't bother me - its the attitude. Would you all be so self-righteous if it was a member of your family affected - or is it only poor, working class scum that deserve what they got because they didn't use a bank like us 'regular' people? It's just very, very sad.