Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do I have the right to refuse entry?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I'm in student accommodation, TV licence people have notified me they are coming to investigate :p but if what Kermit has been saying is correct, they have no right of entry to my flat, so I can tell them to get lost basically :). However, since it is university owned accommodation, I presume they'll just moan to reception, and I'll get a bollocking and they'll come in and try and sue me.

I don't have a TV btw :) so they haven't a hope in hell of suing me, but if they want to investigate every home in the UK to see if they've got a TV then I'm not going to make it easy. My room is private, if I do something wrong than fair enough but it's just wrong to have inspectors check when I'm just minding my own business. I feel like it's an invasion of my privacy.

Or am I wrong and they do have a legal right to enter my property?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    youre entitled to refuse entry, but theyll probably come back and hassle you if you do that.
    If you dont have a telly, just show them, and theyll be fine about it.
    You wont change the system tbh, although I understand making a stand.
    You don't have to let anyone into your house against your will unless they have a search warrant.

Tbh they have probably just sent the letter to scare you and won't turn up.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ok, I'm in student accommodation, TV licence people have notified me they are coming to investigate :p

Had these twice a week for the last three months now yet nobody has turned up.

They are a bunch of fucking idiots with fuck all better to do. I'm sick and tired of opening letters from them and have now elected to burn them instead.

I don't have a TV so fuck off.
    They send a letter a week threatening you with all sorts if you don't write to them (at your expense) telling them what they want to know. My license was apparently not filled in correctly, and they wanted me to pay to have it amended by them. Fuck that, fucking cunts.

They have no rights of entry to your accomodation, and your university are in breach of their contract if they allow them into your room whilst you are not there. I'd just wait for them to turn up (they won't) and then abuse the greedy tax cunts if they do turn up. Pond filth, they are, and they deserve all the abuse they get.

They shouldn't have a job which involves extorting money out of poor people to pay for rich Irish homosexuals.
    I got a red letter addressed to my room from the tv license people, previous occupant mustav had a tv. I dont, so I phoned them and told them. they said they'd send someone round to check... this was about a month ago, I bet they never will :lol:

if you dont have a tv, I dont see what the problem with letting them in would be.
    Replicant wrote:
    I got a red letter addressed to my room from the tv license people, previous occupant mustav had a tv. I dont, so I phoned them and told them. they said they'd send someone round to check... this was about a month ago, I bet they never will :lol:

if you dont have a tv, I dont see what the problem with letting them in would be.

It's the principle, they can't go round the country barging into people's homes because they don't have a TV.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    You dont have to let them in, but they will assume that you do, as you cannot prove otherwise, will probably take you to court.
    Now obviously, this is a very extreme case, if they got of their arse to do anything about it. However, I would recommend letting them in, as the magistrates will draw inferences from the fact you have refused entry.
    Is this another one of those things where you have the right but you're not allowed to exercise it.

For example: if I'm arrested I have the right to remain silent, but if I do so they will assume I am guilty.

Methinks it's time to emmigrate.

If the police come to your door without a warrant and you say they can't come in that doesn't make you guilty, does it?
    They can't take you to court for non-admittance. They have to prove that you have received a TV signal without the proper license, and refusing to answer questions or allow admittance does not prove that you did.

Under PACE refusing to answer questions can negate or damage a defence (the prosecution are allowed to infer that if it was true you'd have said so at the beginning), but it cannot prove a prosecution.
    Kermit wrote:
    They can't take you to court for non-admittance. They have to prove that you have received a TV signal without the proper license, and refusing to answer questions or allow admittance does not prove that you did.

Under PACE refusing to answer questions can negate or damage a defence (the prosecution are allowed to infer that if it was true you'd have said so at the beginning), but it cannot prove a prosecution.

If I got arrested (I'm not planning to) would I be within my rights to withhold my name when they try to process me? I dunno, I'm just being awkward. Thanks Kermit :)
    If I got arrested (I'm not planning to) would I be within my rights to withhold my name when they try to process me?

I'm not sure about that- its not a good idea though as it will see you detained for a lot longer!
    It'll mean a permanent record on an enhanced CRB check if you do something like that - and if you haven't done anything when your arrested you don't want to keep your name to yourself.

On a side note - I'm not sure you can be released or properly processed until you've provided proper details of your identity.
    I doubt I'm going to be arrested in my lifetime let alone any time soon. I was just pondering whether it was against the law to not answer what your name was. If I ever get arrested I'll probably try to cooperate fully so I only get a caution / mild telling off as I'd rather not have a police record. :)
    Tony Blair's son tried to give false details didn't he?
    If they come round just tell them its in the post, that's what I did and they never came back

Personally I wouldn't bother refusing entry, just say come in...look no telly, now fuck off. Makes it easier
    If you haven't got a TV, what's the problem? Show them, then they can fuck off and leave you alone.
    My room is full of sexual paraphenalia and bondage hooks.
    My room is full of sexual paraphenalia and bondage hooks.

SNAP. And i aint joking :naughty:
    even more reason to let them in :lol:

they'll never come back! ... unless you keep them there that is :naughty:

"I dont have a tv, but I do have a tv license man, does that count?"
    RubberSkin wrote:
    SNAP. And i aint joking :naughty:

I think we should have a sleepover party :yippe: with scary movies and everything :D
    If you see what's in the 'play room' that IS a scary movie :D
    I wouldnae let them in. nosy bastards. I'll come round their house and demand entry because I'm transmitting waves in the air that I believe they must be recieving... see how they like that?
    Some people simply love making their lives more complicated...
    RubberSkin wrote:
    If you see what's in the 'play room' that IS a scary movie :D

:lol: The play room! lol!