Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Domestic violence - it affects men too...

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
You'd think you would be able to leave someone the minute they stepped out of line and hit you, but for many it's not as easy as that.

We originally had one article on domestic violence on TheSite.org, but didn't feel it fully represented the problem that men also have to face. So...we decided to write two separate articles offering an equal amount of advice and information.

Women and domestic violence

Male victims of domestic violence

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I get violent towards my boyfriend at times. He doesn't fight back though.
    I gave mine a black eye once, at the start of a weekend we were working at camp on the staff team....

I realise that's not quite what the article is about, but thought I'd share. It was an accident and he didn't mind too much.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I've seen a mate of mine headbutted by his girlfriend. Then he walloped her. Touché
    Weekender Offender 
    When men get attacked by women it is less the physical ordeal but knowing you can't fight back it's humiliating and degrading, especially the insults - knowing you're expected to rise 'above it' but some bitches can really upset you. I don't know, I guess it's the same, but you'd be amazed at the underhanded comments you can get from women. Have you ever seen how young girls these days will kick their male friends in the groin for amusement.

I wish one of those days... one of the lads had gone up to the girl and kicked her so hard she didn't know what hit her... and then when she was crying in agony, laughed at her with all his mates. I think it's unheard of.

The worst bit about it is that even after when you try to forget about the girls will bring it back up about how funny it was. Yea... real funny.
    Saw my Mum being beaten up to a pulp by my step dad for 4 years. Not nice. Still haunts me now. That isn't all he did too :(

I'm surprised he didn't end up killing her it got that bad. I wrote a story about it for the site...http://www.thesite.org.uk/community/reallife/truestories/myviolentchildhood

I feel sorry for anyone who is in this situation. People tend to focus of who it is actually happening to though and forget about the little kiddies who have to see it. It probably affects them as much as the person whose getting hurt. Ok, so the kids don't have the physical pain of being hurt but seeing your Mum being in that much pain kills you. Feeling completely useless is horrible.

Its still affecting me now. Bit shit but hey. My Mum is still with the the guy. He hasn't hit her in nearly 4 years now though so all is good. He got himself sorted.

Domestic violence is a big problem. Alot of the time you don't even know its happening. Nobody knew with us unless he'd hit my Mum in the face and she couldn't hide the bruises. Just wish the problem wasn't as big as it is tbh :(