Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

nightmare duing anaesthetic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last time I had a tooth taken out I had a terrible nightmare while under anaesthetic (the one with the mask where you're put to sleep). Has anyone had one during
anaesthetic then found the next time they had it they didn't have one? I'm going to the dentist tomorrow and I have a feeling he's going to take a tooth out. I was supposed to have it done last year with them numbing my gum with an injection but I'm terrified of seeing what's going on so I couldn't go through with it.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You don't actually see what they're doing when you have the injections.

As for nightmares - I've never had any, or at least don't remember having any. (any of the times I've been under anaesthetic)
    I've had loads of teeth out by injection... Just keep your eyes shut if you're worried about seeing needles and stuff...
    The injections only take a few seconds (and they can use numbing cream first) and you really can't feel the tooth coming out at all.
    So if you're worried about being put under anesthetic, I'd give the injections a go.
    I tried to keep my eyes closed and it didn't seem to work :(
    I've had that ages ago... when I was about 5 I had some teeth taken out and they used that horrible horrible GAS!

and Likewise I had some terrible dream...

I didn't think they used that anymore... I'd refuse it anyway, Injection or nowt!
    I'm going to have to not let my fear of the dentist to get in the way of me getting this tooth out. It has broken away so much and I think it's now infected and I've been in excruciating pain for over a week now and it's getting in the way of me sleeping so I've been knackered everyday.
    What sort of Anaethetic are you talking about? I'm assuming not a general anaesthetic as you wouldn't get one of those at the Dentist.

Go for the numbing gel, local anaesthetic into the gum (needle) and a bit of entonox (happy gas) if you really need it, that should do the trick. If any of that gave you nightmares last time, tell them and they can probably adjust the doses.
    What sort of Anaethetic are you talking about? I'm assuming not a general anaesthetic as you wouldn't get one of those at the Dentist.

Not anymore, but you used to. I was put to sleep when I had teeth removed when I was a little 'un. It's one of my most traumatic memories... imagine three or four nurses holding you down and trying to put a gasmask on you and then blackness...

I still remember their faces.

I didn't have any nightmares, I woke up and there was a boy infront of me having his mouth rinsed out from the blood, then they rinsed my mouth out under the sink too. Pretty barbaric stuff back in them days.

Ah well, my new dentists just loves to give me fillings. FFS :mad:
    I dont understand why all dentists cant be trained to the levels of anesthetists you see at hospitals. My dentist will give me an injection (hurts for about 3 seconds), i have to wait for 15 minutes for it to kick in properly and then my mouth will be numb for the best part of that day. At the hospital however they give you a quick injection (doesnt even hurt because you bearly feel it), your mouth goes numb instantly for them to do the work and it goes back to normal after about 10 seconds.
    If normal dentists did things that way then i doubt there would be thousands of people affraid to go.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I've had teeth out at the dentists under local, and teetch out at the hospital under general.

As for the gas they use in dentist surgerys, do they not still use Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas)? That can give some pretty strong halucinations that arn't a world away from ketamine.
    Weekender Offender 
    They do still you laughing gas in some dental surgeries, but they can usually adjust the mix to avoid twitching/itching and hallucinations.

The rules have changed so you can't have General Anaethetics at the regular dentist anymore, although the trauma of having one in the hospital is no less (if not more so) than having one at the Dentist.

As for the local anaesthetic you'll find the difference is what they are numbing rather than the Dentist vs hospital thing.
    Hallucination that's the word I was looking for not nightmare.
    Adjusting the flow should get rid of that if you tell them that you're having problems.

If you ask really nicely they may tell you a story so you can hallucinate to that instead. I've got a really good one about Fairys that I tell the kids!
    I'm having a tooth taken out under local next week. The dentist now has music playing which makes it a bit better. I've also got some Rescue Remedy.
    I've also got some stuff to numb my gum in the meantime and boy does it work!