Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Buying a car - help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right here's the deal. I've got up to a grand to spend on a car, and I'm looking at getting either a Fiat Bravo 1.4 or 1.6, or a Nissan Almera 1.4 (VW Polo as a backup, but the others are a bit bigger). Mainly because they both get excellent reviews as second hand cars and they're much cheaper than their bigger name equivalents.

Anyway, here's the problem. I'm searching on the Autotrader website, and if I select a national search, I get quite a few cars that I'd be interested in having a look at. But they're all 100-200 miles away, which is a bit far to go to look for a car. As soon as I select within 40 or 60 miles, I get bugger all I'm interested in (or they're twice the price). So does anyone know any good places or websites to look for cars in the North West? Oh and any other tips while you're at it, since this is my first car.

Comments

• Options
    No idea, but I got my P reg 1.4CL polo /w 35,000 miles on the clock for a mere £700. Bargain :). You just gotta be patient really, or be prepared to travel more.. Personally I dont think 200 miles is too far to go for a car, If it matches the bill then go for it. Aslong as you know enough about cars to be sure you're not buying a lemon
  • Options
    Almera? What are you 75?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Almera? What are you 75?
    Nah, I'd just rather have a car that handles well rather than one that looks good.
  • Options
    Nah, I'd just rather have a car that handles well rather than one that looks good.

Seeing as they're only ever driven at 20 mph, how do you know they handle well? :p
  • Options
    go for the jap, always a abundance of cheap spare parts which you will more than likely need of a car getting towards that age. i seem to remember Fiat parts being dear, maybe im wrong.

almera's aint too shoddy, could have picked worse...
  • Options
    Nissan = good
    Fiat = not good

The Almera may be rather ugly, but it's a well made car that is easy to live with and surprisingly good fun to drive. Many are owned by sensible people, which tends to mean you get decent workmanship on any repairs, and a heap of receipts. The Fiat isn't so well made - it looks nicer, but I'd not touch one.
  • Options
    Nissan = good
    Fiat = not good

The Almera may be rather ugly, but it's a well made car that is easy to live with and surprisingly good fun to drive. Many are owned by sensible people, which tends to mean you get decent workmanship on any repairs, and a heap of receipts. The Fiat isn't so well made - it looks nicer, but I'd not touch one.

Yeah i wouldn't get a Fiat, i've had two and they've both been shit.
  • Options
    Oh and any other tips while you're at it, since this is my first car.

don't go to Carcraft :thumb:
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Seeing as they're only ever driven at 20 mph, how do you know they handle well? :p
    Just reviews and forums and stuff. Come on then, if I said "I'll pick you up" and turned up in one of these, which would you be most impressed with?

nissan%20almera.jpg

13580294.jpg

fiat_bravo.jpg

I don't think any of them are particularly amazing looking tbh, but I couldn't give a shit.
  • Options
    looks-wise I think the fiat wins out over the VW with the nissan coming last, but the new polo/golf's are sex =), but I dont think they're in your price range.

Anyway, I coulden't be happier with my polo, it's very solidly built, the doors are nice and heavy, the trim is of a very good standard (i went to a citroen dealer the other day and the cars were literally falling apart in the show room cos the plastic and carpet etc was so cheap) the engine has a nice deep roar when you punch it and it's quiet when you're just cruising. It's nice and nippy around the town, however if you are planning on doing lots and lots of motorway driving you may want to get something a bit bigger. :-)
  • Options
    Sorry to hijack the thread but how does a s-reg V6 Ford Mondeo Ghia X for 2 and a half grand sound??

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiats are a bit unrelieable btw.
  • Options
    I don't know anything about cars really, but I think the first of those pics looks the nicest, and most responsible.

Oh and if it makes any difference, my best mate went to london to get his car (off ebay) which is about 300ish miles from here.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Yeah i wouldn't get a Fiat, i've had two and they've both been shit.

I've had two as well .. ya such a copy cat .. :D

Except I like my MK2 Sporting .. but can be a bugger to get spares, Halfords don't even sell Sparkplugs for it.
  • Options
    Sorry to hijack the thread but how does a s-reg V6 Ford Mondeo Ghia X for 2 and a half grand sound??

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiats are a bit unrelieable btw.

Very expensive. Watch out for failing head gaskets - they make a 'putt putt' sound, generally from the rear bank IIRC. The standard water pump impellors are made of plastic, and crack/die with age. Automatic gearboxes can go bang at 80k or so - not a routine problem, but it happens enough to be an issue.

Lovely cars though - good to drive, nicely specced, and loads of them around. My stepmother has had one for donkeys years now, and it's given them minimal trouble.

Google for Ford Mondeo and you'll find everything you need on the Mondeo enthusiast group forums :).
  • Options
    Almera?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Very expensive. Watch out for failing head gaskets - they make a 'putt putt' sound, generally from the rear bank IIRC. The standard water pump impellors are made of plastic, and crack/die with age. Automatic gearboxes can go bang at 80k or so - not a routine problem, but it happens enough to be an issue.

Lovely cars though - good to drive, nicely specced, and loads of them around. My stepmother has had one for donkeys years now, and it's given them minimal trouble.

Google for Ford Mondeo and you'll find everything you need on the Mondeo enthusiast group forums :).
    Cheers!!
  • Options
    Almera?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Go on then smart arse, name something better.
  • Options
    TBH Most cars would be better. It has no shape and really, really shit power - to the point that going up any kind of hill needs third gear. My old man (who is in his 60s) had one as a company car and griped so much that they changed it after six months.

It really depends on what you are looking for from your wheels. i can understand trying to avoid the obvious chavmobiles but you could do a whole lot better than a nissan.
  • Options
    Well it has pretty much the same power as the equivalent sized Civic, way more than a Golf and is 2 insurance groups lower than either. And I can't imagine that the Nissan is particularly different in weight to those two cars. I haven't come across any of the other owners online having the same problem.

From what I hear they handle well, are really reliable (plus cheap to repair if anything does go wrong), are much cheaper to buy than similar cars, and because they're so cheap, they won't lose too much of their value.

Incidentally, if anyone has done the Pass Plus, how much did you save on your insurance?
  • Options
    ^^I disagree. They were noted for their well-designed chassis and free-spirited engines. You're never going to get startling performance from the 1.4 but it should be far from shit - lively, perky and fun all spring to mind. I seem to recall they made around 90bhp - which is plenty for some fun. Especially in a smallish car.

I had a Primera 2.0 and it was hugely underrated. Went quite well, handled very nicely, and was extremely well made. Nissan make cracking - if somewhat bland, typical Japanese plastic-fantastic, rather soulless cars.

Comments such as "no shape" and "really, really shit power" aren't the most useful in the world. Do you mean the engine lacked low-down grunt? Or the power trailed-off after 5000rpm? Maybe you mean the gearing was such that the engine was constantly being over-worked, and never really felt very brisk? Or maybe your father is 200kg, and was transporting samples of lead-lining for nuclear reactors?

One can do a damned sight worse than a Nissan. Many other cars are better in specific areas, but as an all-round package you'll get something well made, rather reliable, generally with a rather tight and nimble chassis, an engine that is at least as good as most other mainstream cars, and a well-specified and nicely made interior. They are bland, have no soul, can feel unrewarding to drive in comparison to a Peugeot, and may lack the outright economy of a Polo diesel - but they represent a very nicely made and well designed car that'll do pretty much anything you care to throw at it.
  • Options
    I'll basically be using it for a bit of everything. Standard a-b town and city driving. Long motorway and country lane journeys. Transporting adult passangers and stuff short distances. And I need it to be able to do all that without breaking down. But since it will primarily be just me and maybe one other person, I can't justify spending the extra money on a bigger saloon car, even if it would be an added bonus very occasionally.
  • Options
    Between the Nissan and the Fiat, I would pick the Nissan, although the Golf would be my favourite out of the three.
    Might I also suggest the Honda Civic as an alternative to the Almera. Its certainly better looking although newer ones are a bit chav-ish.
    If you can't find a car near you in Auto-trader, how about trying one of your local newspapers, or even ebay?
  • Options
    Between the Nissan and the Fiat, I would pick the Nissan, although the Golf would be my favourite out of the three.
    Might I also suggest the Honda Civic as an alternative to the Almera. Its certainly better looking although newer ones are a bit chav-ish.
    Polo, not Golf. I'd be interested in a Civic, but they cost far more to insure. I think a 1.4 is in insurance group 6 compared to 4 for the Nissan (I don't get it because the specs are nearly identical). Plus in my price bracket, I'd be looking at this version......

media?id=421259073

......which isn't particularly amazing looking anyway.
  • Options
    Oh, another quick question. Since I don't have a car, I don't have insurance. What do I do about test-driving something? I mean you've obviously got to have a go first, but what are the legalities?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure you need fully comp with third party on other cars to be able to test-drive a car, otherwise the guy will drive you around
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    noog wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you need fully comp with third party on other cars to be able to test-drive a car, otherwise the guy will drive you around

Nope. I didn't have any insurance at all when I test drove my car. I think you are covered by the company's insurance.

Get a Yaris :yes:
  • Options
    noog wrote:

Common misconception.

Some insurance policies will let you drive any other car with the owners consent - but many policies do not. A garage will have the required insurance to let you test drive cars.

To be honest, if you've never owned a car, or have little experience in driving, you'd be well advised to take someone with experience. They are likely to notice a lot more than a new driver :).
  • Options
    Common misconception.

Some insurance policies will let you drive any other car with the owners consent - but many policies do not. A garage will have the required insurance to let you test drive cars.

To be honest, if you've never owned a car, or have little experience in driving, you'd be well advised to take someone with experience. They are likely to notice a lot more than a new driver :).
    Oh I will do, but what the fuck? I'll most likely be buying private rather than through a garage. You telling me I won't be able to have a go of a car before I buy it?
  • Options
    That's why you take your Dad, who'll have expensive drive anything insurance. Dad drives, you sit in the back and think "hmm, will fluffy dice look cool in this?"
  • Options
    Oh I will do, but what the fuck? I'll most likely be buying private rather than through a garage. You telling me I won't be able to have a go of a car before I buy it?

Do you have insurance that'll let you drive any vehicle, whether owned by you or not? If not, then you won't be able to get a test drive. Simple as. :)