Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should we be sorry for slavery?

Leaving aside all the expected comments about it being a stain on our nations history and the obvious truth that it was vile, should we the people alive now be actually sorry for it?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not sorry personally but like all bad things that happen we should feel empathy.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Leaving aside all the expected comments about it being a stain on our nations history and the obvious truth that it was vile, should we the people alive now be actually sorry for it?

I think everyone would agree that slavery is unacceptable. However the past is the past. Cannot apologise for every bad thing one's distant ancestors may have done.

I do not expect all German people to apologise to me for the deaths of my family members in concentration camps.
  • Options
    Can't see the harm - if we celebrate the good things our ancestors have done, its probably just as well to acknowledge the bad.
  • Options
    If I'd had something to do with it then yes I would feel a certain degree of responsibility and thus probably feel I should apologise for it.

That said, it happened years and years before I was born so why should we have to apologise for what our ancestors did?
  • Options
    *dreads the arrival of Seeker to this thread...*
  • Options
  • Options
    No, we shouldnt feel sorry. We ourselves and no one around today in this country has slaves in chains do they? So we shouldnt feel sorry for what our ancestors did, only they should feel sorry for it...but they are all dead.
  • Options
    I personally find the suggestion that we should give financial compensation much more extraordinary. Whom, exactly, ought we to compensate? And what else should we pay compensation for? Perhaps Muslims would like some compensation for the Crusades. Where does it end?
  • Options
    The figurehead of the country should apologise for the country's behaviour, but Blair as a person doesn't have to be sorry.

And we shouldn't be handing over a penny of "compensation".
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The figurehead of the country should apologise for the country's behaviour

Why? What does it actually achieve? He (to my knowledge) had absolutely nothing to do with slavery, so saying sorry for it is hollow and pointless. He can say its a shame it happened, and he can wish it hadn't happened. But surely you can really only say sorry for something you were responsible for.

Also I notice that no African countries are being asked for compensation, which seems a little odd - they were just as heavily involved in it as us.
  • Options
    What about the English people from the south coast who were abducted and put into slavery? Do their familes get apologies and compensation from the countries who perpetrated the acts of enslavement of their ancestors? The answer is No because the whole notion is ridiculous! The past is the past...remember it, and do not repeat it, but thats it!
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Also I notice that no African countries are being asked for compensation, which seems a little odd - they were just as heavily involved in it as us.

Perhaps even more so. The slaves were betrayed by their own people and in Africa, still are today!

I think that as Britain was the forerunner in getting slavery abolished globally, we did a lot to put right the wrongs of an abhorrent practice.

This group that is currently calling for compensation should be suitably ignored ...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Perhaps even more so. The slaves were betrayed by their own people and in Africa, still are today!

Indeed, slavery is alive and well in parts of Africa and the Far East, surely if you're going to fight for anything it would be an end to this.
  • Options
    It doesn't do very much, but it is symbolic for the leader of a country to apologise on behalf of that country for that country's actions.

As I say, Blair doesn't have to say a word of sorrow, but I think the Prime Minister should.

The idea of compensation is ludicrous- after all, it was the tribal nature of Africa that created many of the slaves. One tribe attacks another, and the winners sell the losers for a nice packet, job's a good un.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Why? What does it actually achieve? He (to my knowledge) had absolutely nothing to do with slavery, so saying sorry for it is hollow and pointless. He can say its a shame it happened, and he can wish it hadn't happened. But surely you can really only say sorry for something you were responsible for.

As head of Government he can apologise for the role the British state played. I think the C of E has already apologised for the role of the Anglican church.

I'm not sure its hollow or pointless, as he's saying that basically slavery was wrong and the British were involved in injustice. And that we have learnt from it.

But to be fair the main reason is to rub our neighbours noses in it - as the subtext of all this is that the Brits were the first major power to ban slave trading and then a few years later enforce it with the lives of our sailors and soldiers. France didn't ban it officially until 1815 (and then there was a major black market with officials turning a blind eye), the US until 1865 and the Dutch colonies in the Carribean until 1861. Portugal and Spain only stopped because the British paid them huge amounts of money.
    Also I notice that no African countries are being asked for compensation, which seems a little odd - they were just as heavily involved in it as us

Quite - and as noted above the British were the ones who stopped it and forced others to follow. I suspect no-one will be asking the Arab states for a handout for their role in slavery.

Also why just African slaves? There have been plenty of other slave owning societies throughtout history. As late as the 1880s Russia was using the holding of slaves in the Caucasus as an excuse for invading some (admittedly pretty unsavoury) regimes.
  • Options
    As head of Government he can apologise for the role the British state played. I think the C of E has already apologised for the role of the Anglican church.

I'm not sure its hollow or pointless, as he's saying that basically slavery was wrong and the British were involved in injustice. And that we have learnt from it.

But surely by saying sorry we are assumed to feel guilt for the trade, which I dont believe we should, not now anyway. Same as I dont feel guilty for what we did to to South African black mine workers for example.

I suppose it comes down to symantics, I think the head of the government can and should call the trade deplorable, and that it shouldnt ever have happened but saying sorry seems strange to me.
  • Options
    I expect then that Blair will be demanding an apology from the Italian president for the enslavement of so many British people during the Roman conquest of Britain?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I expect then that Blair will be demanding an apology from the Italian president for the enslavement of so many British people during the Roman conquest of Britain?

But its note the same state/ You can easily draw a continous line between British Government since the mid eighteenth century and today, and say that they are the same Government which is evolved (Crown, Parliament, even Army Regiments and Civil Service Departments all have an unbroken continuity). It's harder to claim that the modern Italian Government is the same Government as Rome under Claudius.

ETA not that I disagree with you about there being other slave owning societies and its happening historically.
  • Options
    I disagree, it is completely ridiculous.

For example shouldn't the Irish government be held responsible as well seeing as ireland was under british rule then?

It is sily, people should worry about making the current world a better place rather than getting worried about the actions of people centuries ago....
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I disagree, it is completely ridiculous.

For example shouldn't the Irish government be held responsible as well seeing as ireland was under british rule then?

It is sily, people should worry about making the current world a better place rather than getting worried about the actions of people centuries ago....

Not really, as most of the slavers were from English/Scottish ports. Also the Irish Prime Minister is not a successor of Walpole, as Blair is.

At the end of the day by Blair apologising does no real harm is done, it costs next to nothing (a little bit of civil service time), it is concrete evidence we dissaprove of slavery and a solid reminder to the rest of Europe and the US over who abolished slavery first.
  • Options
    Our leaders can obviously regret and abhor the actions of their predecessors many years ago but it is unnecessary to go further than that. Do people think Angela Merkel should be apologising for Hitler, or Putin for Stalin? The actual events of the past are unchangeable and we should not attempt to alleviate the consequences of our ancestor's actions with baseless apologies. I wonder if the equivalent of today's anti-war campaigners in a hundred years time will be demanding the, then Prime Minister apologise for Blair's actions in Iraq.
  • Options
    At the end of the day by Blair apologising does no real harm is done, it costs next to nothing ...

But I think that is the point. A full-on aplogy might lead people to try and claim 'compensation' (like the silly bitch interviewed on Radio 4 this morning).
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    But I think that is the point. A full-on aplogy might lead people to try and claim 'compensation' (like the silly bitch interviewed on Radio 4 this morning).

The woman interviewed on Today was totally bonkers, she just totally dismissed the idea that Africans were involved in the trade as well.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:

They can try all they want, but I doubt there going to get it. If someone was enslaved by the British Government or private companies based here they should get compensation.

I see no reason why there descendants should a) because they were almost certainly enslaved by fellow African's b) the British were at the forefront of abolishing slavery and c) as many of them live in the UK or USA and have much higher standard of living compared to the average in Africa (especially the parts from which the majority of slaves were taken, which tends to be Western and Central Africa) it would be hard to show that they personally were disadvantaged by their ancestors being sold into slavery.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    *dreads the arrival of Seeker to this thread...*

I think Thunderstruck has it summed up very well :
    If I'd had something to do with it then yes I would feel a certain degree of responsibility and thus probably feel I should apologise for it.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    :lol:

Strange that you labour under the delusion that `our nation` should apologise for doing in the past what it continues to do today, forcing people to work at the barrell of a gun..... :confused:

Yawn.

Wakey wakey Sophia.

I am in need of an explanation.

"Our nation" apologising ?

How will "it" do that?

Is "it" articulate ?

Will "it" speak the apology ?

Or perhaps "it" has learned to write, and there will be a written apology ?

:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Wakey wakey Sophia.

I am in need of an explanation.

"Our nation" apologising ?

How will "it" do that?

Is "it" articulate ?

Will "it" speak the apology ?

Or perhaps "it" has learned to write, and there will be a written apology ?

:confused::confused::confused:

Yeah..... we get the point. Seriously.
  • Options
    LucieLu wrote:
    Yeah..... we get the point. Seriously.

WE ? ?

Are you(singular) sure you(singular) get the point ?
  • Options
    That was the royal we. We get the point. Enough already. :yeees:
  • Options
    Has anyone considered that even though our generation isn't responsible for slvery we certainly still benefit from it, and the relationship we have with African countries is influenced by it.

Yes, he should apologise for the actions of our forebares but the best apology ould be to do something about the 12m or so people still in slavery today.