Home› General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Plants

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want a plant for my bedroom, which is a pretty small room.

I want something that is small, easy to look after and smells nice ... (jasmin kinda smell is good) ... any advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As a rule of thumb plants with a nice fragrance are not very easy to keep and often don't last too long. And at this time of year they're unlikely to be in bloom anyway. So bearing that in mind, what about something like a scented leaf geranium? You can get ones that smell like rose, lemon, peppermint and apple. Whether you'd be able to lay your hands on one or not might be another matter.
    It's not good ida to have plant/flowers in your bedroom as they use a lot of oxygen. It can effect your sleep and all sorts.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    It's not good ida to have plant/flowers in your bedroom as they use a lot of oxygen. It can effect your sleep and all sorts.

Sorry, but that's an old wives tale. A plant uses up a tiny amount of oxygen at night! By that reasoning I'd better kick Mr M out of my bedroom cause he's using up precious oxygen, lol. :D
    Miffy wrote:
    Sorry, but that's an old wives tale. A plant uses up a tiny amount of oxygen at night! By that reasoning I'd better kick Mr M out of my bedroom cause he's using up precious oxygen, lol. :D
    wait 'til I see my mother.....I had a massive beautiful boquet of flowers off an ex once and my mum told me this story and suggested I put them on the living room table :lol:
    I've done a bit of digging around. The easiest jasmine to grow is pink jasmine (Jasminium polyanthum) but it still likes to be kept cool, have plenty of light and never let it dry out, so still not exactly fuss free. They flower in January.

Stephanotis smells gorgeous but it's a difficult plant so I wouldn't touch that one.

You might find some forced hyacinths in the shops soon, they smell delicious.

Other than that all I can think of is scented leaved plants, like I said before.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    wait 'til I see my mother.....I had a massive beautiful boquet of flowers off an ex once and my mum told me this story and suggested I put them on the living room table :lol:

You've been had! :lol:

It's not likely that you're going to run out of oxygen anyhow, unless you sleep in a hermetically sealed room or something! I mean it does make up about a quarter of the entire atmosphere and all. ;)
    Miffy wrote:
    You've been had! :lol:

It's not likely that you're going to run out of oxygen anyhow, unless you sleep in a hermetically sealed room or something! I mean it does make up about a quarter of the entire atmosphere and all. ;)
    I thought it was touch and go for our Diamond then *phew*
    VinylVicky wrote:

Hmm .. sounds like your mummy just wanted nice flower in her living room to show them off to people .. you must have been very cute when you were younger .. :razz:

Anyway back to me:

The kinda benefit I was looking for since my PC is in my bedroom as well are as per this webpage:

http://www.urbanplanters.co.uk/benefits-of-plants/

Plants filter the air, removing carbon dioxide and some of the harmful toxins given off by modern office equipment and synthetic materials

Plants give off oxygen, making people more alert; as a result, they work more efficiently

Plants make the atmosphere more humid, reducing common reasons for absenteeism, such as tickly coughs (got a tickly cough as I write)

This is more kind of an experiment for me, I was thinking how we use things like air fresheners, room sprays, scented candles, etc in the house but really we're making chemicals into a product and then releasing them into the atmosphere that we breath .. surely that can't be good?

And it's getting harder to leave the window open all night cos it's raining every single day and if I leave it open it rains at night and everything is wet when I wake up..

So I started thinking ...well nature often provides the answers to most problems ... and the idea of experimenting with a potted plant occurred to me.

I looked up Geraniums .. tbh they look a bit girly .. lol :D

something more like this is what I had in mind

PLTlmncypress_m.jpg

Lemon Cypress Tree
    Spider plants. Not the most attractive of plants but virtually indestructible :)
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Spider plants. Not the most attractive of plants but virtually indestructible :)

He wants something that smells nice!!
    Spider plant and one of those plug in smelly things :D
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Spider plant and one of those plug in smelly things :D

:lol: In that case why not make it a plastic spider plant? Only need to dust it once in a while. ;)
    I looked up Geraniums .. tbh they look a bit girly .. lol :D

something more like this is what I had in mind

PLTlmncypress_m.jpg

Lemon Cypress Tree

Well you didn't say it had to look manly! :p

Why don't you just get a plant, and an oil burner with some essential oils?! Essential oils are 100% natural and you could get something indestructible like Rubberskin's suggestion of a spiderplant, lol. There you go, kill two birds with one stone. :D
    Get a bonsai, they're manly. but they're fairly high maintenance and afaik they don't smell of anything
    noog wrote:
    Get a bonsai, they're manly. but they're fairly high maintenance and afaik they don't smell of anything
    ^^^^^

miyagi.jpg

Mr Miyagi has one.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I thought it was touch and go for our Diamond then *phew*

Good thing I have to to give me the kiss of life then .. :wave:

(no tongues please)
    Good thing I have to to give me the kiss of life then .. :wave:

(no tongues please)
    lol are you asking yourself not to use your tongue there?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Weed.
    Weekender Offender 
    Bonsais are good, even though my brother managed to kill his.