Home Home, Law & Money
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here

Rant: Housemates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I live in a house of 4 students (3 girls and a boy) and Im not a student (problem I know). Anyway my rant is that they make a total mess of the place and expect everyone to chip in and tidy up after them. Its really bugging me.

My other question is my tenancy is until june next year is there anyway I could get out of it now?

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe if you could find someone to take your place, the landlord would be ok with you moving out.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That is what I was thinking. But Id have to go through the letting agent and they are useless as they don't communicate with the landlord
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Letting agents = twunts. I'm not 100% sure (there's peeps on here who actually know a lot about tenancy law) but just because your lease runs till June, doesn't necessarily mean you have to stay there till then. The may be some clause in your tenancy that says you can leave before then but maybe have to give 2 months notice instead of one.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    make a cleaning rota! when you're sharing a house you need to learn to put your foot down sometimes.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Well I live in a house of 4 students (3 girls and a boy) and Im not a student (problem I know). Anyway my rant is that they make a total mess of the place and expect everyone to chip in and tidy up after them. Its really bugging me.

    My other question is my tenancy is until june next year is there anyway I could get out of it now?

    I doubt it. Unless you find someone to move in your place and the landlord agrees.

    Do you pay rent in advance?

    Can you try and sort it out? Some people really do live like animals I know and it's horrible living somewhere you're not happy.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We were supose to be doing one but nobody wants to sit down and discuss it. Nobody seems to care apart from me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I doubt it. Unless you find someone to move in your place and the landlord agrees.

    Do you pay rent in advance?

    Can you try and sort it out? Some people really do live like animals I know and it's horrible living somewhere you're not happy.

    Yes I do pay my rent in advance. I really hate where I am living and can't wait to move out.

    I was just reading another thread in the student bit about someone taking other peoples food. I have had that problem, very minor though but its the principle. For example I had a bottle of vinger in my cupboard and that is now gone and my salt has also been taken. If they asked I wouldn't mind but they don't and I know it something petty but its the principle of someone going into my cupboard and taking something that isn't theirs.

    Another thing that really annoys me is that they are constantly putting the heating on even when its not cold. It annoys me becuase its really expensive at the moment. Also lights are left on all night and all day and they don't seem to bother as the bills are split.

    Sorry just really annoyed at the moment if you can't tell. :banghead:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ~kaz~ wrote:
    Yes I do pay my rent in advance. I really hate where I am living and can't wait to move out.

    I was just reading another thread in the student bit about someone taking other peoples food. I have had that problem, very minor though but its the principle. For example I had a bottle of vinger in my cupboard and that is now gone and my salt has also been taken. If they asked I wouldn't mind but they don't and I know it something petty but its the principle of someone going into my cupboard and taking something that isn't theirs.

    Another thing that really annoys me is that they are constantly putting the heating on even when its not cold. It annoys me becuase its really expensive at the moment. Also lights are left on all night and all day and they don't seem to bother as the bills are split.

    Sorry just really annoyed at the moment if you can't tell. :banghead:

    Do you pay for your bills on a meter? I know exactly what it's like cos last yr my friend and I shared with 2 international students from India. They were constantly cold and put the heating on all the time and expected us to pay the same. They also cooked for about 2 hours a day using the oven/hob, never washed anything, had all their mates over till 2am every night.

    How far ahead in advance do you pay your rent? I had a very clever landlord who made you pay the whole year's rent off in 6 months so if you left early you would lose all your money. It was miserable.

    Dirty people tend not to change. And next time you move somewhere be very careful.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's worth having a look at your tenancy agreement and seeing what it says about keeping the house in a reasonable condition, if there is anything in there then start complaining to the landlord about them.

    It sounds like you all need to get together, sit down and come up with some ground rules and agreements. With regard to the heating one option could be to get a thermometer and agree on a temperature at which you'll have the heating on.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's worth having a look at your tenancy agreement and seeing what it says about keeping the house in a reasonable condition, if there is anything in there then start complaining to the landlord about them.
    Yep, if they wont take any notice of you then they might take notice of the Landlord. If you have a chat with the landlord he/she should try to keep it confidential that you complained about them.

    In my shared house its going against the contract to not keep the place clean, and if my landlord hears that its not being kept clean he brings his cleaning manager over here to have a go at us.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you want to do a cleaning rota (which is really the fairest way of doing it) - make sure you do it in a diplomatic way and involve everyone. i had a housemate last year who made one of her own accord and expected us to follow it.

    no chance. :o
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm the only one who cleans our house and they know it. It's a bit annoying, but better that than mould growing on plates.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can never understand how people can live like animals. Yes, on occasion I am untidy but never dirty. :yuck:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jazza wrote:
    I can never understand how people can live like animals. Yes, on occasion I am untidy but never dirty. :yuck:

    Being untidy is one thing and being complete tinks is another. Communial areas should be kept clean and tidy and your mess should be kept in your bedroom.

    Things still haven't improved and I have written an e-mail to my landlord but as yet have had no response. Things are getting that bad that I am having to start keeping clean dishes in my room just so that I have something to eat with for my meals and I am also eating all my meals in my room which I don't like as I don't like food in my room.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try phoning the landlord and complain to them about it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't have a number for the landlord just an e-mail address. We are suppose to go the letting agency but they are totally hopeless
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well in that case send about 30 emails lol, put somethin that will draw his attention to your email in the subject.
Sign In or Register to comment.