Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Veganism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am considering going vegan (though not too quickly)...

Any advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't eat animal products :p
    I thought you already were?
    I've been pushing that way for a while now, though I don't know how I will shake my soft spot for cheese.

Not a lot of advice to give, but Fat Free Vegan is an excellent website for recipes and tips :thumb:
    Am considering going vegan (though not too quickly)...

Any advice?
    Yeah, stay eating meat.
    I never know why people become vegans, I can understand vegiterians, but vegans????
    HIT wrote:
    Yeah, stay eating meat.
    I don't think she does eat meat, she's vegetarian, vegans eat no animal products such as cheese and eggs.
    just cut back slowly, while searching around for decent alternatives to the things you think youll find hardest to give up.
    I think veganism is a LOT harder than vegetarianism so dont feel too bad if you find it hard work.
    Its good to reduce dairy consumption anyway.
    youve probably already seen the vegan society, but heres a link anyway
    http://www.vegansociety.com/html/
    HIT wrote:
    I never know why people become vegans, I can understand vegiterians, but vegans????
    Well... You can always do a websearch on "reasons to become vegan".

People always ask me why I'm vegetarian and it's like "why do you think I'm vegetarian?"...

People always ask me why I'm vegetarian and it's like "why do you think I'm vegetarian?"...
    There could be a few reasons, you think it's cruel, you don't like meat, meat makes you ill, religion etc

well people do become veggy for loads of different reasons like religion, health, animal cruelty, or land use/poverty.

I think it would be very hard to be vegan, maybe not so hard here in UK but if you went on holiday, many countries think veggie food is a cheese ommelette
    If it is for animal cruelty, have you thought about only having free range stuff etc?
    I'm not a veggie but I am an animal lover, I do believe we should eat meat but I do my very best to only but free range stuff etc. It is more expensive though.
    many countries think veggie food is chicken or fish!
    So more meat for me. :cool:

But vegans? The chicken has to lay an egg and the cow has to be milked anyway, so why not?

On a side note, I know a supposedly vegetarian that wears leather shoes. Hows that work out?
    The cow only has to be milked because it has been made to have a calf in irder to produce milk to sell.
    HIT wrote:
    So more meat for me. :cool:

But vegans? The chicken has to lay an egg and the cow has to be milked anyway, so why not?
    Because of the way the animal is treated
    On a side note, I know a supposedly vegetarian that wears leather shoes. Hows that work out?
    What are their reasons for being a veggie?
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Because of the way the animal is treated

What are their reasons for being a veggie?
    I assume there reasons is because they dont like eating meat because the animal is killed.
    It's also because of the way animals are exploited, not just killed, which is where veganism comes into it.
    HIT wrote:
    I assume there reasons is because they dont like eating meat because the animal is killed.
    Well you are assuming there dear
    its none of anyone elses business tbh. Why should vegans and vegetarians have to answer to smart ass people who always do this whenever anyone expresses that they dont eat meat. Especially on this board. Everyones got their own reasons.
    its none of anyone elses business tbh. Why should vegans and vegetarians have to answer to smart ass people who always do this whenever anyone expresses that they dont eat meat. Especially on this board. Everyones got their own reasons.

But surely there's nothing wrong in asking why someone is vegetarian? I would respect if they preferred not to answer, but I don't see anything wrong in asking for the reasons behind such a decision, equally as much as if someone would as me why I'm not a vegetarian.

I get your point though... people who ask rudely, obstinately arguing against them, are just exhibiting a clear lack of empathy and i don't want anything to do with them. Thank you come again.
    HIT wrote:

Because veggies aren't the ones who avoid all animal produce - they only avoid eating meat. (and in some cases, fish)

I know someone who attempted to go vegan - she only stayed that way for a while because (she thinks so anyway) that it was nearly impossible.
    But surely there's nothing wrong in asking why someone is vegetarian? I would respect if they preferred not to answer, but I don't see anything wrong in asking for the reasons behind such a decision, equally as much as if someone would as me why I'm not a vegetarian.

Yes, but not many people go around asking why you aren't vegetarian, but people seem to think there has to be a reason and that they have some kind of right to know why. And if they don't like your reason, then they sneer at you for it. Thats what I found when I was vegetarian, anyway.
    I'm veggie because i just don't like meat and i have a bad history of eating, well not eating, meat as a kid. Plus i'm a tad OTT about food poisoning.
    Yeah, but there's a time and place. If you were to start a thread about the subject, then fair enough, but not if it's a thread about how to become a vegan/vegetarian. No-one would go into a thread with someone asking for advice about getting an abortion and ask them to validate their beliefs. Take a look at the whole Christianity/sex thread and you'll see that no-one has started asking people to justify their Christian beliefs, because that thread isn't about the validity of Christian beliefs, it's about helping someone who already has those beliefs to carry them out. People often seem to forget this in threads about vegetarianism.
    A vegan is a person who avoids the ingestion or use of animal products. An animal product in this context refers to the body parts of an animal, or any substance derived from an animal without that animal's informed consent.

So, if the animal signs some sort of donor card, similar to the ones humans sign, they would have made an informed choice of how their parts are to be used and a Vegan could use them?
    Suck da ac a dem. Dirty vegie cunts! I take pleasure from the death of animals (no joke) :yum:
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Suck da ac a dem. Dirty vegie cunts! I take pleasure from the death of animals (no joke) :yum:

Charming little cunt you are eh ?

So you think all vegetarians/vegans are 'dirty cunts' ? Well that's alienated a fair few of the people on here not to mention some of the mods.

You 'take pleasure from the death of animals' ? You're one sick little fuck aint ya ?
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Charming little cunt you are eh ?

So you think all vegetarians/vegans are 'dirty cunts' ? Well that's alienated a fair few of the people on here not to mention some of the mods.

You 'take pleasure from the death of animals' ? You're one sick little fuck aint ya ?

Jesus Christ, your head must be clean up your hole if you took that seriously. :D
    Exactly... It pisses me off when people ask me why I'm veggie then treat me like a wierdo (though I've learnt to cope with my own veggie hippy jokes). The most annoying is when people then feel they have to justify why they eat meat, or they treat you like you're evil and doing something wrong...
    Because veggies aren't the ones who avoid all animal produce - they only avoid eating meat. (and in some cases, fish)

I shall say this once and only once... VEGETARIANS DON'T EAT FISH!!! :mad:

I hate it when people say "I'm a vegetarian but I eat fish", it's like saying "I'm a vegetarian but I eat chicken". A fish is still an animal.
    I'm a postmodern vegetarian myself, I eat meat ironically.