Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can they actually do this?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I need to do GCSE English as both times I've done it, I've come out with a D.

Now, the lessons are both when I've either got a work placement or when I've got a lesson. One of the teachers involved in teaching the resit knows this. She said to me today that she's going to kick me off (or not enter me) for GCSE English because I don't turn up to either of the lessons. The thing is, I can't exactly stop doing what I'm doing on those days when the resits are because because if I fail a unit of Child Care, then that's it, I won't be able to take any other further units. And my work placement is 4 miles away, so I can't just go up there, stay there and come back when the lesson is. (which is right in the middle of the school day on both days)

I also spoke to the teacher on Tuesday, who had a go at me because I've not done the work that I was meant to do - well, if she decides to give me the help sheet 2 days before it's due in, what does she expect?:rolleyes: And I've never done this work before so I can't really do much about it - she did ask me to see her this morning, but when I did turn up, she told me she was too busy and to come back later - even then she just moaned at me.

I spoke to my parents about this earlier and they suggested doing an evening class at Plymouth College of Further Education, but I'll have to pay for this. They also said that I could do this at a later date, but it's something I want to get over and done with.

I've been told by the teacher to speak to the other teacher running one of the classes tomorrow to see what he says.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote:
    I spoke to my parents about this earlier and they suggested doing an evening class at Plymouth College of Further Education, but I'll have to pay for this. They also said that I could do this at a later date, but it's something I want to get over and done with..
    :yes: do that or similar.
    yes. they can kick you off the course if your attendance is crap / non-existant. if you have other commitments, thats fair enough, but don't expect your tutor to sympathize. you could ask about changing class times if the same course runs on a different day / time perhaps. were you not awware of the clash of times when you originally enrolled?
    you cannot do a course, except may be a distance learning course, if you never turn up to it. again distance learning might be another option for you, then you can study for it in your own time.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware of the clash times - it was basically me having to find out everything for myself. Originally, one of the teachers running this was off as she'd just had her baby and there was another teacher in charge. This other actually told me what to do - not just expect me to copy work out of someone's folder (well, essay titles and the other coursework we had to do) and expect me to get on with it.

There's no point me asking for them to change the class times, as the teachers all have other lessons.
  • Options
    I think what was meant is is there another class at a different time that you could get to.

If you have zero attendance then it's not at all unreasonable of them not to enter you. It also seems unlikely that with no further teaching you're going to be able to get higher than your previous grade (especially if you've got it twice so it wasn't just a bad day).

If it clashes and there's nothing that can be done about it then you will have to look elsewhere, or do it at a later date. Do you have a tutor? They may be a good person to talk to.
  • Options
    I am meant to be getting help on a Friday morning from one of the teachers.

I do have a tutor, but she doesn't know anything about this. (as I only see her on a Friday morning)
  • Options
    Guess you won't get this now but I suggest you talk to your tutor about it.
  • Options
    On the plus side I think you can enrol privately to do GCSE's - which means you will have to pay an entry fee but you won't have to turn up to any of the lessons.
  • Options
    Spoke to one of the teachers today - he suggested that I forget about doing it for now (even though I've done quite a bit of work for it) and can go to evening classes nect year or something. What's all this about grants for evening school?
  • Options
    I think he's probably right.

If you're not going to get any proper teaching this year and you're doing it as an extra on top of other things then it seems unlikely that you are going to be able to improve your grade.

My advice would be to dedicate your time this year to doing really well in the other things you are doing, and then retake your English when you can get some proper teaching.
  • Options
    SM - that's what he and my parents have both said. He wasn't being rude or anything, but he does think that if I do it by myself this year, then I'm not likely to do that well.
  • Options
    just wondering why is GCSE english so important? i mean i think that if you have common sense and can use english to communicate why you need a piece of paper with a letter to say your good at it?
  • Options
    I need it to do the course I want to do at uni. Personally, I think quite a few of the things we have to do/study are pointless and I seriously doubt I'll ever use most of the stuff I've had to learn.
  • Options
    vmong wrote:
    just wondering why is GCSE english so important? i mean i think that if you have common sense and can use english to communicate why you need a piece of paper with a letter to say your good at it?
    getting a c+ in english and maths is important and is required for lots of careers and higher education.
  • Options
    yeah i know that, but i guess if you got, say a phd, but no english GCSE would it matter? personally i though GCSE english was ok, i mean i think its just write as much as you can really. i think English and Maths is the ONLY decent GCSE there is. the rest are just for show really
  • Options
    vmong wrote:
    yeah i know that, but i guess if you got, say a phd, but no english GCSE would it matter?

You'd be hard pushed to get as far as a PhD without GCSE English and Maths as they entry requirements for most courses, hence the need to get one.
  • Options
    vmong wrote:
    yeah i know that, but i guess if you got, say a phd, but no english GCSE would it matter? personally i though GCSE english was ok, i mean i think its just write as much as you can really. i think English and Maths is the ONLY decent GCSE there is. the rest are just for show really

I think you need Science. (for quite a few thing anyway and I need it ideally but not all unis say I need it for the course I want to do)