Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Critic of Putin "poisoned" at a sushi bar

So nothing changes.

Good to see that Putin seems to be following along the traditional KGB line of jailing or killing anyone who disagrees with him.

No wonder Abramovich is so keen to have a public profile and have his money safely in the UK.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And yet people honestly believe Putin will step down and/or have proper elections for his successor, rather then simply rig election to hold on to power...
    double post
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    LOL what a supprise.

Meh, fuck it nothing changes in Russia. The cunt cancelled the war veterans pensipons too!

What a dick. He's done some good, plenty bad. It isn't like there is ademocracy though, or anything will change wohever gets in.
    I heard there's a new fad in Russia, to get Putin tattoos. At first it sounds stupid, but when you think about it, when the secret police show up at your door in the middle of the night accusing you of treason you can be all like "That's not possible! See, I have the face of bBeloved Leader on my back!"
    There was also a lot of apprehension in the news here about the death of a journalist openly criticising the government.

Then there's the massive corruption over there as well. Been caught speeding? Pay a few thousand roubles to be exempt from getting your license pulled. :D
    With the exception of the short-lived Provisional Government and the troubled Yeltsin years Russia has not really experienced Western style democracy – and in the brief periods where it has existed it has not been allowed to develop, in the first instance the Bolsheviks destroyed it and in the second Putin undermined it. Depending on your opinion of the Yeltsin years and Kerensky prior to the revolution it could be argued that Russia does not even have historical democratic role model leaders. Putin it seems is reverting to the ways of predecessors – Tsarist and Soviet. Of course were it not for the Communist coup in October 1917 and the evil that followed Russia might have been able to develop peacefully into a liberal and democratic state. Putin risks isolating Russia by taking Russia backwards but that won't stop him. I hope Putin's latest victim recovers.
    "Ras-Putin?!"- 'Oh, those Russians.....!'
    Poor chap has died now.

Twisted fucks! :mad:

Putin's government couldn't be much dodgier if it tried.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Poor chap has died now.

Twisted fucks! :mad:

Putin's government couldn't be much dodgier if it tried.

Ah, the KGB extends its icey cold grip once more sucesfuly.

Looks like we aren't so safe now the USSR has collapsed - never criticise Russia publically again!
    what do people think those 3 mystery objects were found in his stomach?
    I was wondering abouth them (3 objects) too. I wonder if he's killed himself ?
    RubberSkin wrote:
    I wonder if he's killed himself ?
    that did cross my mind.

maybe we won't ever know because the hospital seems to say one thing and then retract it a bit later
    The hospital issued an statement yesterday in which it was denied there were any foreign objects in his body at all. They said they were shadows created by the special medication he was given to fight thallium.

Then again, if they wanted to cover up anything, they would say that wouldn't they... [/conspiracy hat on].
    Aladdin wrote:
    [/conspiracy hat on].

Talking of which, where is our resident conspiracy theory propagationist, Clandestine, these days? :p
    Teagan wrote:
    Talking of which, where is our resident conspiracy theory propagationist, Clandestine, these days? :p

I was just thinking the same.

Alexander Litvinenko was a British citizen, if as suspected a British citizen was murdered on British soil and Putin is involved Russia is guilty of a serious act of aggression against this country.

Admittedly Putin's regime seems so obvious a suspect you wonder if Putin would really be this crass. Of course there's plenty of obsessive supporters of Putin who probably also feature in the list of suspects.
    I can perfectly believe it was organised by the Russian secret service. The woman journalist who was murdered a few weeks ago was investigating the quite plausable claims that it was the Russians themselves who exploded those bombs in a number of Moscow apartment blocks that got blamed on Chechnya- and which gave Putin the excuse he needed to attack.

Litvinenko was also on the case and had been understandably incensed at the murder of the journalist. If he was really passed information of the plot to murder the journalist and the names of the Russian officers involved, the FSB might have decided that could not be allowed.

It all stinks to me.
    Alexander Litvinenko was a British citizen, if as suspected a British citizen was murdered on British soil and Putin is involved Russia is guilty of a serious act of aggression against this country.

I find that sentence extremely hilarious.

However,if anyone actually cares about the dead guy,I think that sentence could be seen as careless.
    Of course it was Russian Secret Service or as they still refer to themselves, the "KGB". It is the same outfit with a new name that is all. And let us not forget Putin is after all a KGB golden boy from the Soviet era. He feels he is able to do anything at all no matter what it is because he is Leader of a powerful nation which when the time to step down comes, he will merely amend the nations constitution and imprison those who object to such a change so he can continue to rule.
    lipsy wrote:
    what do people think those 3 mystery objects were found in his stomach?

Microfilm, contingency plan, and a suicide capsule.

DUH, that what all good spies would do :p
    Did anyone watch the press conference? It was interrupted by some Ukranian guy claiming that he had been the target of assassination as well.
    Bollocks was it Putin who ordered this. There are three glaring reasons why it wasn't Moscow.

1. The guy was a British citizen and his criticisms have not been that pronounced of late. Thus what the fuck would Russia have to gain from his death?

2. If Putin decided to try and silence every single Western critic of his regime, there wouldn't be a lot of people left in the Western media would there?

3. Putin is notorious for not giving a shit about what the West thinks of him which is why he is so popular in Russia. He is not conforming to any White House or Downing Street agendas like those twats Gorbachev and Yeltsin, he is following Russia's interests and not trying to kiss the arse of the West. What effect did one exiled dissedent possibly have on Putin?

People are so quick to jump on the back of Russia as soon as someone like this dies. Conspiracies fly around and simply because the guy was a critic of Putin, it MUST be Putin who ordered this. Putin is way too smart for that and like I said, what has Moscow possibly got to gain from it?

Just yet another example of the disgusting anti-Russia stance that the whole Western world seems to have. The reason, in my opinion is that the West is getting very fucking scared of Russia. Turning off the gas pipeline was proof that Moscow has, and will continue to have for the forseeable future, Europe by the balls. And she ain't gonna let go.
    Bollocks was it Putin who ordered this. There are three glaring reasons why it wasn't Moscow.

1. The guy was a British citizen and his criticisms have not been that pronounced of late. Thus what the fuck would Russia have to gain from his death?

2. If Putin decided to try and silence every single Western critic of his regime, there wouldn't be a lot of people left in the Western media would there?

3. Putin is notorious for not giving a shit about what the West thinks of him which is why he is so popular in Russia. He is not conforming to any White House or Downing Street agendas like those twats Gorbachev and Yeltsin, he is following Russia's interests and not trying to kiss the arse of the West. What effect did one exiled dissedent possibly have on Putin?

People are so quick to jump on the back of Russia as soon as someone like this dies. Conspiracies fly around and simply because the guy was a critic of Putin, it MUST be Putin who ordered this. Putin is way too smart for that and like I said, what has Moscow possibly got to gain from it?

Just yet another example of the disgusting anti-Russia stance that the whole Western world seems to have. The reason, in my opinion is that the West is getting very fucking scared of Russia. Turning off the gas pipeline was proof that Moscow has, and will continue to have for the forseeable future, Europe by the balls. And she ain't gonna let go.

You like Russia then? :p
    Bullseye wrote:
    Of course it was Russian Secret Service or as they still refer to themselves, the "KGB". It is the same outfit with a new name that is all. And let us not forget Putin is after all a KGB golden boy from the Soviet era. He feels he is able to do anything at all no matter what it is because he is Leader of a powerful nation which when the time to step down comes, he will merely amend the nations constitution and imprison those who object to such a change so he can continue to rule.

Wrong on several fronts there.

The KGB (Committe for State Security) no longer exists. It is now the FSB (Federal Security Bureau). It is more than a name change. The entire structure of the organisation has been changed. The headquarters have been moved away from the old building in Lyublyanka Square in Moscow (which is now the headquarters of the DPS - the traffic police) and the FSB building is now on the other side of town. They might be charged with the same job but the two are different.

They do not refer to themselves as the KGB. Many people left the KGB after the end of the Soviet Union and as such, most people in the organisation have only known it as the FSB. Only the top brass were there beforehand.

Putin has categorically stated on numerous occasions that he will honour the constitution and step down in 2008 as is dictated. I did my dissertation on this last spring so I had to read a fuck of a lot of stuff from the Russian papers and everyone is unanimous that Putin, like he has said numerous times, will step down in 2008. Otherwise, he becomes just like Yeltsin and Gorbachev; changing the law to suit themselves and that was Putin's main re-election platform, that he wouldn't allow the country to decay like those morons did.
    lacymay wrote:
    You like Russia then? :p

Yup. That's why I'm studying her beautiful language.

Yup. That's why I'm studying her beautiful language.

Really? I always thought Russia was a poor and dangerous place. I thought everyone wanted to leave?!
    LacyMay wrote:
    Really? I always thought Russia was a poor and dangerous place. I thought everyone wanted to leave?!

That's what everywhere in the West would have you believe. It is not dangerous, not poor (the middle classes are SO much better off than their western equivalents) and virtually all the stereotypes about Russia are American Cold War propaganda which sadly is still alive and well.
    The KGB (Committe for State Security) no longer exists. It is now the FSB (Federal Security Bureau). It is more than a name change.

And there's been plenty of name changes. The Okhrana, the Cheka, the NKVD, the NKGB, the MVD, the KGB and the FSB. And name changes and headquarters been moved about didn't make much difference in the past. Indeed, even a revolution didn't stop ruthless Okhrana agents - they just started working for the Cheka...

Looks like this forum has got it's first apologist for Putin's regime.
    With the exception of the short-lived Provisional Government and the troubled Yeltsin years Russia has not really experienced Western style democracy – and in the brief periods where it has existed it has not been allowed to develop

So? Since when was Western-style democracy that great? Since when was Russia obliged to do things like the West? It really fucking makes me sick when people criticise Russia for not adhering to the West's style of doing things. The Russians are NOT Europeans. They are not Asians. They are just, well, Russian. They have their own way of doing things and by saying that their way of doing things is wrong/immoral/illegal/whatever, you are revealing yourself to be close-minded and bigoted.

If they want to do things their way and not our way, then let them. It is not up to us to decide for them.
    So? Since when was Western-style democracy that great?

There are millions of people around the world who crave the democratic ideals that you take for granted. I've no qualms about saying that the kind of democracy we cherish is completely superior to what exists in Russia, China and Zimbabwe. (And when people from around the world vote with their feet there seems to be a preference for Western democracy).
    It really fucking makes me sick when people criticise Russia for not adhering to the West's style of doing things.

It's not bigoted to say that the Soviet way of doing things was wrong, just as it is not bigoted to condemn Nazi Germany.
    Wrong on several fronts there.

The KGB (Committe for State Security) no longer exists. It is now the FSB (Federal Security Bureau). It is more than a name change. The entire structure of the organisation has been changed. The headquarters have been moved away from the old building in Lyublyanka Square in Moscow (which is now the headquarters of the DPS - the traffic police) and the FSB building is now on the other side of town. They might be charged with the same job but the two are different.

They do not refer to themselves as the KGB. Many people left the KGB after the end of the Soviet Union and as such, most people in the organisation have only known it as the FSB. Only the top brass were there beforehand.

Putin has categorically stated on numerous occasions that he will honour the constitution and step down in 2008 as is dictated. I did my dissertation on this last spring so I had to read a fuck of a lot of stuff from the Russian papers and everyone is unanimous that Putin, like he has said numerous times, will step down in 2008. Otherwise, he becomes just like Yeltsin and Gorbachev; changing the law to suit themselves and that was Putin's main re-election platform, that he wouldn't allow the country to decay like those morons did.

He will be just like Yeltsin and Garbechev and he will change the law to suit himself, he will not step down in 2008, he will continue to rule until he sees fit to step down or die...which ever comes first. He may go so far as to create a new position that is a head of the Presidency to do so, who knows, but just because he wont step down has nothing to do with whether he is successful or not.

The superficial changes and the different personel makes no difference to whether the KGB is still the KGB, technically it could be called the Cheka, im pretty sure thats what it was when Lenin promised to do away with it as it was the Tsar's secret police force...of course he didnt, he renamed it and set it out to do his bidding like all good dictators.
    It is not dangerous

Unless your skin is the 'wrong' colour.

Contract killings
    make for a pretty safe country too don't they?
    not poor (the middle classes are SO much better off than their western equivalents) and virtually all the stereotypes about Russia are American Cold War propaganda which sadly is still alive and well.

The masses aren't doing so well though are they? If you're male the life expectancy is just 59.