Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Friend on Housing Benefit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a friend on housing benefit who is renting privately. This morning she was given a months notice by the landlady. Does anyone know where she stands with her rights etc, she has a 1 year old baby does that make any difference?

The main problem is that its notoriously difficult to find a property that accepts DSS so being able to move in four weeks is just about impossible.

She rang Citizens Advice but all they could do was give her an appointment in two weeks time which isn't much use.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They can give her a month's notice from when her contract is up.
    She doesn't have much rights I'm afraid.
    She will have to contact the council for emergency housing (they favour women and childred) then join a housing association/council waiting list, if she can't find anthing else.
    Cheers for the quick answers I've passed the Shelter number on. She is not eligible for council housing in her area thats why she went private before.
    godscop wrote:
    Cheers for the quick answers I've passed the Shelter number on. She is not eligible for council housing in her area thats why she went private before.
    Beggers can't be choosers, she'd have to move to a different area, though that can be hard
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Beggers can't be choosers, she'd have to move to a different area, though that can be hard
    That can be far harder than it would at first seem when it comes to claiming housing benefit.
    A friend of mine used to work for the homeless department at our local council & she has told me that if this lady has been given 1 months notice 7 has no-where else to go she should contact her local council & ask to be put on the homeless list. Even if there are no council properties available in her area, they have a list of private landlords that are willing to accept housing benefit etc. It's worth a shot & as she has only 1 month before she effectively becomes homeless she would almost certainly be classed as priority (especially as she has a year old baby) & should get offered somewhere asap. Hope this helps :)
    housing benefit?

can you get that if you arent fit for work??
    what is housing benefit?
    IWishIWas wrote:
    housing benefit?

can you get that if you arent fit for work??
    what is housing benefit?
    Housing benefit is when you are either on JSA (job seeker's allowance) income support or on sick pay, it pays your rent or a portion of it,
    You get sick pay if you aren't fit for work and thus housing benefit.
    my boyfriend is on JSA and is waiting to hear about income support (he's been signed by his GP as unfit for work)
    but he hasnt heard from income support benefit people in about 3 months.
    does this mean it's likely that he'll get it? surely they cant take so long to say no??