Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Killer Loyalist nutter breaks into Stormont with 'devices'

Between six and eight devices have been defused at Stormont after loyalist Michael Stone stormed the building, Sir Hugh Orde has said.
The Northern Ireland police chief said "their potential for death, destruction and injury is being assessed" but added they were "fairly amateurish".

The convicted killer attempted to enter Stormont during a key debate to pave the way for restoration of devolution.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6179792.stm

Some people shouldn't have been released, Good Friday Agreement or not...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He's a fucking nutter alright. He's lucky to be alive in the first place if you see what he done to get into prison in the first place. I don't get it, what was he trying to do. Now he goes to prison to serve the rest of his sentence plus whatever he gets for this act. Stupid cunt.

As for prisoners being released, it is a hard pill to swallow for members of both communities to see killers go free. But it was essential for the paramilitaries to accept the GFA. The prisoners exert an awful amount of influence on what goes on the outside, they wouldn't budge unless everyone got released.
  • Options
    It depends on what you are prepared to do to support your own particular B(elief)S(ystem)/delusion.

There are some posters here that are convinced that putting on a costume AND THEN killing someone makes them a "fighter for freedom and democracy". The magic appears to be somehow in that khaki costume.

Change it to a black one and that person is magically "upholding the law" if they THEN kill.

When I`ve watched Stone in interviews he comes across as very sincere in his own beliefs.He`s prepared to kill to support them.

If his tribe were to be "victorious" in the war he envisages in his head ,would you respect the laying of green poppies annually on Easter Sunday "in honour of his colleagues who selflessly gave their lives so future generations could be free" ? :chin:
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    If his tribe were to be "victorious" in the war he envisages in his head ,would you respect the laying of green poppies annually on Easter Sunday "in honour of his colleagues who selflessly gave their lives so future generations could be free" ? :chin:

I don't understand. He's not fighting to free Ireland, he's fighting to keep Ulster British.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I don't understand.

I guess not ;)
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I guess not ;)

What I don't understand is this laying of green poppies on Easter Sunday. What relevance does that have?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    What I don't understand is this laying of green poppies on Easter Sunday. What relevance does that have?

Precisely ;)
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    As for prisoners being released, it is a hard pill to swallow for members of both communities to see killers go free. But it was essential for the paramilitaries to accept the GFA. The prisoners exert an awful amount of influence on what goes on the outside, they wouldn't budge unless everyone got released.

Yep agree with that. Stone is a fucking cunt who should have died in jail. So are a fair few of the provos.

I've followed the coffins of people murdered by the IRA and it sticks in my craw that they're wandering free when people I knew lie in their graves.

But (and its a big but) better the scum are out on the street than that I'm getting on a plane back home to follow another coffin.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    It depends on what you are prepared to do to support your own particular B(elief)S(ystem)/delusion.

There are some posters here that are convinced that putting on a costume AND THEN killing someone makes them a "fighter for freedom and democracy". The magic appears to be somehow in that khaki costume.

Change it to a black one and that person is magically "upholding the law" if they THEN kill.

When I`ve watched Stone in interviews he comes across as very sincere in his own beliefs.He`s prepared to kill to support them.

Seeker can I say with all sincerity you're the biggest twat on here against pretty stiff competition.

PS the poppies would be orange and they wouldn't be layed on Easter Sunday.
  • Options
    Anyone else see the irony of British police shooting dead an man without a bomb, but letting through someone with six?
  • Options
    Anyone else see the irony of British police shooting dead an man without a bomb, but letting through someone with six?
    Good point.

Be fair though- Stone didn't have Mongolian eyes.
  • Options
    I smell a pretentious ignoramus.

Not really.

What is the difference between a soldier and a terrorist? Apart from the uniform and the paymaster?

British troops go to Iraq to kill for British interests.
    Republican "troops" go to Manchester to kill for Republican interests.
    Unionist "troops" go to Eire to kill for Unionist interests.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Not really.

What is the difference between a soldier and a terrorist? Apart from the uniform and the paymaster?

I find that terrorists are more ruthless. They detonate themselves in the midst of a crowd, slaughtering innocent citizens. Now, of course that's what the coalition forces have done as well. Palestinians, for example, have no other alternative than to kill, if they want to struggle for independence. Otherwise, their voices go unheard.

Nations have dispensed injustice to reach their political goal. Terrorists have as well. Where is the line drawn?

I guess the question is, whether you are prepared to say that a nation is as willing to kill as a terrorist with a bomb strapped to him.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Not really.

To borrow from an ethical theory concerning war; the Just War Theory requires a 'just war' to have 'just authority' which imo, would be a government and preferably a democratic government with a legitimate public mandate and genuinely accountable to the people of that country. Terrorists whether IRA or loyalist don't have legitimate accountability; they're not accountable to an elected government and the people that they claim to 'represent' have no proper say. You would also have to be pretty simple to think the actions and motives of British troops in Iraq are equivalent to those of the IRA in Manchester.
  • Options
    I suspect that the number of votes cast for Sinn Fein would show you that the IRA did have some sort of mandate...
  • Options
    I suspect that the number of votes cast for Sinn Fein would show you that the IRA did have some sort of mandate...

You could theoretically argue for some kind of mandate through Sinn Fein but nonetheless a couple of MPs do not provide legitimacy for a private army and there is insufficient accountability and openness anyway to imply a mandate.
  • Options
    I smell a pretentious ignoramus.

Fee Fi Fo Fum :D

Ignoramus, for sure :thumb:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    He's a fucking nutter alright. He's lucky to be alive in the first place if you see what he done to get into prison in the first place.

I saw what he did.

I`ve seen this Reuters report.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/COL462533.htm
    I find that terrorists are more ruthless. I guess the question is, whether you are prepared to say that a nation is as willing to kill as a terrorist with a bomb strapped to him.

By "nation", I assume you mean a group of individuals with bigger and perhaps better weapons.

Would you say a man with a handgun, or a gang in a helicopter is more ruthless ?

Me ? I`m not too sure.

I`ll do my best to avoid both.
  • Options
    Seeker can I say with all sincerity you're the biggest twat on here against pretty stiff competition.

What is your criteria for "a twat" ASIDE from someone who creates an emotive response by pointing out the negative side of YOUR Belief System ?
    PS the poppies would be orange and they wouldn't be layed on Easter Sunday.

On July 1st,by any chance ?

What about wearing a sling (and eye patch ?) on October 21st ?

And so on, and so on.

The list could be endless.
  • Options
    nonetheless a couple of MPs do not provide legitimacy for a private army and there is insufficient accountability and openness anyway to imply a mandate.

How many "MPs" do,in fact, "provide legitimacy" for a private army ? :chin:
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    What about wearing a sling (and eye patch ?) on October 21st ?

And so on, and so on.

The list could be endless.

It's about symbolism. Though, I doubt anyone of your calibre could hold such a concept.

You're a twat because you have nothing to actually offer threads than your weird views, klintock all over again.
  • Options

The IRA don't draw there mandate from that though, they claim it through the 1919 Dail.

But you can still easily paint the IRA as terrorists (and come to that the UVF as well) in that people can vote for which political parties they want and there is a democratic way of getting change (ie getting enough people to vote for parties which favour a united Ireland) as every UK Government since the late 60s has taken the position that the future of Northern Ireland is a matter for the people who live there.

People who kill others when there is a democratic route can IMHO be easily called terrorist.
  • Options

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Seeker, we all know your beliefs and position on a number of issues, and whereas many here would be happy to discuss them in a purpose-created thread, it does get kind of tedious when every thread you contribute to, from Scientology to Northern Ireland, gets derailed by your posts.
  • Options
    Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg
  • Options
    In my opinion Michael Stone is seeking publicity to feed his own ego,based upon the hero worship he had from sick people who lauded his appalling crimes(murder).He is a sad relic of the past.He has little or no support for his pathetic actions.The people of ulster have mostly chosen to move forward and leave the past behind them (eventually).There have been posts from folk who live in the Province(bad choice of language?)who understand the situation far better than I.Yerascrote(that cheeky bastard!) is one.I think Stone should be put back where he belongs,prison, and be left to rot as an irrevelance . I will just add that I visited Ireland for the first time this year .and had the best holiday of my life.The people are fantastic and the "craic ? " fantastic.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Seeker, we all know your beliefs and position on a number of issues, and whereas many here would be happy to discuss them in a purpose-created thread, it does get kind of tedious when every thread you contribute to, from Scientology to Northern Ireland, gets derailed by your posts.

Debate.

The dictionary definition, which admittedly you may not agree with, states :

a discussion involving opposing viewpoints;deliberation; consideration;contention

If you do agree with that definition, perhaps you`ll bear it in mind ?
  • Options
    you are not the most popular person on the site. Are you?Must check your previous posts to find out why you are so disliked.I could do with some tips, as I rather enjoy being regarded as a bastard! (to Seeker)
  • Options
    johnnny wrote:
    you are not the most popular person on the site. Are you?Must check your previous posts to find out why you are so disliked.I could do with some tips, as I rather enjoy being regarded as a bastard! (to Seeker)

You talkin' to me?You talkin' to ME? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? ;)

From my experiences on this board, I have found that it tends to happen when people`s belief systems are questioned.

I`m guessing that the level of belief is directly proportional to the degree of emotion and aggression in the response, and somewhat understandable if that particular individual is very entrenched.

P.S. Could you tell me why the opinions of others (about YOU ) are important to you ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Debate.

The dictionary definition, which admittedly you may not agree with, states :

a discussion involving opposing viewpoints;deliberation; consideration;contention

If you do agree with that definition, perhaps you`ll bear it in mind ?

Should I post the definition of 'trolling', or are you familiar with it?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Should I post the definition of 'trolling', or are you familiar with it?

If you could be so kind.

I think it may help your understanding (and hopefully mine).