Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Chemical Straightening

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yes or No?

My hair is fairly straight already, but I use straighteners EVERY DAY cause it's wavy and thick and kinda ugly.

So, although chemical straightening is usually for very curly or wavy hair, I'm thinking about having it done because my hair doesn't like doing ANYTHING I want it to, and so like, I straighten it in the morning, and an hour later its fluffy and wavy and looks like I just woke up.

Apparantly chemically straightening it means it wont go wavy under ANY circumstances, so even when I'm out clubbing or whatever (yeah, a week to go! :D) it will stay straight.

It's probably not that good for the hair, but my hair's in excellent condition, I haven't dyed it for 6 years ish, and at that, it was only once. I also haven't had any perms or anything, so it's pretty natural.

I'm having my hair cut and thinned on Tuesday in time for my birthday, should I go for the straightening or not?

TY! x

Comments

• Options
    ooh im nt too sure, srry guess im not much help rlly, im a guy, n have fairly longish hair altho it curls up really bad and looks alot shorter if i dont gel or straighten it, havent heard too much about chemical straightenin, i wulda thought it would be ok and as you said your hairs in good condition, jus make sure your going to a reputable place n maybe have a search on google.
    always helps me :)
  • Options
    Bit late, but chemical straightening fucks your hair and isn't as good as everyone seems to make out.

If you want it to maintain your straightness for aaages after you do it, look into a treatment called X-Tenso by L'oreal.
  • Options
    I agree. My mate went to get it done but had to have a test done before, luckily it was a good salon and they noticed and recognised the test showed that if she had gone ahead with the chemical straightening then clumps of her hair would have fallen out.
    It's not generally recommended by hairdressers because it is terrible terrible terrible for your hair, and not anywhere as good as it is made out to be for the price!! DONT DO IT! lol

But Im sure its lovely if you have already had it done :P
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote:
    Bit late, but chemical straightening fucks your hair and isn't as good as everyone seems to make out.
    :yes:
  • Options
    Awh, I didn't get it done.

I'm too much of a chicken really. I don't even dye it, never mind shove that many chemicals on it. :p

But yeah, after those comments ^ I'm pretty glad I didn't. :)

I'm gonna invest in some professional straighteners, like from a hairdressers wholesaler. :)

Ty for your advice!
  • Options
    ^_^ wrote:

I'm gonna invest in some professional straighteners, like from a hairdressers wholesaler. :)

Ty for your advice!

Well if you're using straighteners that cost £20 there's your problem :p

Seriously though, ask your hairdresser about X-Tenso. Costs around £30 for guys (shouldn't cost too much more for chicks) so it's not like it's breaking the bank. There's even a crazy wee book of before/after pics if you ask them really nicely.
  • Options
    I'm sure i've written this before loads of times but my sister in law gets her hair Yukoed (Sp?) and swears buy it she doesn't even need to use straighteners or even blow dry it and its straight - however it costs around £500 a year.
  • Options
    ^_^ wrote:
    Awh, I didn't get it done.

Ty for your advice!

GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's

I recommend GHD's by the way. I :heart: my GHDs
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's GHD's

I recommend GHD's by the way. I :heart: my GHDs

I second that!