Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sexy business casual

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a new job where I actually have to dress up... busisness casual they want. But I want to be cute. I've gotten so down that all I wear is my baggy sweatshirts and jeans and sneakers, and my job now allows that and its all I could wear because thats pretty much how good and attractive I feel. Being called ugly, frumpy and blind here, I don't have any friends to give me false confidence and my boyfriend just getting frustrated when I spend time making myself up, I just don't care anymore. But maybe since I"m now forced to change my apperance, it might help. but I have no idea what. Any suggestions :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wore nice trousers (not jeans) and skirts to work with a similar dress code over the summer. Things like fitted v neck jumpers, plain (ish) pretty necklace and maybe a bangle or two.

It's easy to do in the morning and looks quite good.
    i usually wear trousers and a fitted top and heels. i usually accessorize too with a belt or a necklace.

i think that at work i look more cute than business woman. but when i get a proper job i will spend more money on work clothes and power dress and sex it up.
    my_name wrote:
    I've got a new job where I actually have to dress up... busisness casual they want. But I want to be cute. I've gotten so down that all I wear is my baggy sweatshirts and jeans and sneakers, and my job now allows that and its all I could wear because thats pretty much how good and attractive I feel. Being called ugly, frumpy and blind here, I don't have any friends to give me false confidence and my boyfriend just getting frustrated when I spend time making myself up, I just don't care anymore. But maybe since I"m now forced to change my apperance, it might help. but I have no idea what. Any suggestions :)

Well blah, I'm at work now and am wearing wide legged trousers, wedge shoes, a fitted black v neck jumper with a pink vest top under and angel wings necklace..
    ^^ That's the kind of thing I meant!
    my work is awesome. as long as its black its fair game. last shift i wore skinny jeans, boots with fluff round the top, studded belt, shirt with skull and crossbones on and a load of chunky jewellery. all black except for red necklace :D

sorry no point apart from to be chuffed about my easygoing work. will post something of use later
    id go for comfy trousers rather than jeans, and fitted tops rather than Tshirts. fitted cardigan or smart sweater rather than baggy stuff.
    You can still be comfy and look reasonably smart too.
    I can pretty much wear what I like since it's only ever the builders around, and I dare them to comment on my dress sense when they're wearing dungarees and a high-visibility jacket :razz:

However, at the minute since it's fucking cold I generally wear thicker than usual wool-mix trousers and a t-shirt or shirt with a cardigan or jumper over the top. Or a skirt with woolly tights and flat boots and a long-sleeved t-shirt. I even wore a black shift dress with a voluminous sleeved shirt underneath, tights and ballet flats the other day. But they all laughed at me so I probably won't do that again :p

The best thing would be to invest in a few staple pieces. A couple of pairs of well-cut, wide-leg trousers in black, grey or navy. A couple of fitted shirts or long-sleeved t-shirts and maybe some kind of go-with-everything cardigan or fine-knit sweater to go over the top to keep you warm and pull the look together. You could get yourself a nice pair of boots, too, with a low heel and an almond shaped (rather than pointy, which might be a bit much if you're used to trainers) toe. They'll look great under a smart pair of trousers without crippling you or making you fall arse over tit on your way to make a coffee! Alternatively go for some totally flat pumps, there are absolutely loads around at the minute but I would be inclined to go with boots in the winter as they keep your tootsies warmer.
    I've got an awesome pair of boots like the one's Briggi described. Black, almost flat, zip up the side and slightly fleecy lining. Def get a thumbs up from me for work in the winter. Look good with skirts too.
    Thanks gals. So I noticed the wide leg pants were mentioned alot, what should I look for when buying those? I have big thighs and last time I wore something like that I had elephant legs :p
    noo, wideleg trousers are flattering if you have larger thighs. Its tapered ones that will make you look huge.
    I love wide leg trousers.