Home› Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Perceptions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry if I sound slightly self obsessed here. I'm really not.

How can you change people's perceptiosn of you?

I know that people see me as a bit dim. The kind of girl who says something so stupid..You have to say 'awh' to. Do you know what I mean? I'm shite at explaining. I know for a fact that I'm not thick and sometimes I do say a thick thing, just to get a laugh but then people think that it's actually me.

The easy thing is to drop the 'make people laugh by saying something dumb' routine but it's kinda difficult. I think it's a habit. Sometimes I get mad when my friends joke about me being stupid. I'm not. Just not 'on the ball' all the time maybe. For example if someone is talking and they'll ask me a question usually I'll say 'what?' and they'll laugh but the truth is I wasn't actually listening to them.

There are no easy solutions and I hope someone doesn't take the piss out of this post. I'm bad at explaning things and mainly wanted a bit of a rant.

Comments

• Options
    maybe next time either listen to them.....or say : "what, im sorry, i wasnt listening, u bore me :P"
  • Options
    Lol. It's hard to listen and not in a rude way. I get carried away in my own train of thought.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm in the same position really... Also add to it that I have a little hearing trouble so I can't always make out what they're saying, if they're speaking quietly.
  • Options
    I'm in the same position really... Also add to it that I have a little hearing trouble so I can't always make out what they're saying, if they're speaking quietly.

Do people think you are slow too then?

Yeah. I thought I had a hearing problem and went for checks but they say my ears are fine and dandy. So can't use that as an excuse. Poo
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Rachael wrote:
    Do people think you are slow too then?

Yeah. I thought I had a hearing problem and went for checks but they say my ears are fine and dandy. So can't use that as an excuse. Poo
    Well, they've not said they think so, but that's the impression I get. And I do the same thing, saying something dumb as a joke.
  • Options
    Sounds way too familiar.
    I have that at work, love the people there to bits, some of them are good mates of mine but because they all know that I do drugs and I messed up a bit in my first year of college (not because I'm not intelligent and got grades but because I bunked all the time and was caught selling/doing drugs e.t.c) but I've got this reputation as this junky who always gets everything wrong and I sort of play upon it to get a laugh out of everyone as in I'll ask a stupid question but sometimes I'm actually trying to be serious and I'm not a stupid person at all I actually got good grades at school and everything, but everyone sort of laughs and assumes I forgot what was just said and assumes I don't really know what I'm doing at work and that they need to help, and you just feel like saying "Look fuck off, I know what the fuck I'm doing, I do know what the fuck is going, I do understand everything, I only joke around with you, I'm not actually stupid at all, it doesn't make any difference whether I do drugs or not!"
    I don't know how to change their perceptions either though...
  • Options
    Glad I'm not the only one!

Yeah pill, sometimes I want to yell 'I'm not stupid I'm just playing on it for cheap laughs!' but that doesn't sound so dramatic and I'll sound like a bit of a knobber anyway because I CAN be dim but I don't want to be known for it.
  • Options
    I'm similar to you. I do tend to say a few stupid things to get a laugh. For example my friends were all in the car, the driver lives on a farm and was naming the different breeds of cow, so I pointed a sheep and said "what breed of cows that then?" and she said laughing "Oh god Stace that's a sheep". They all laughed at me and are CONVINCED I'm that stupid and bring it up to represent how stupid I am. I tried to explain I was joking and they're like "It's you all over stace". I trip over my words when I explain stuff and sometimes forget the more 'intelligant' word I meant and dumbdown as it were and I am intelligant too!

There's no easy way of changing peoples perception of you. Saying 'pardon' instead of what, would probably make people think you misheard more instead of it maybe being perceived as a "What (do you mean)?" sorta what. I suppose sometimes you just need to be serious, or follow any joking stupidity with, "No but seriously I think...".

But otherwise, that's 'you' to them. I doubt people think you're dumb! Probably just comical, not simple just in your own world sometimes??
  • Options
    The car thing is a good example because no one could EVER say something like that and mean it. No offence :p Yet friends seem willing to believe you would. Grrrr. I like the 'pardon' thing. Might try it out and it'd be less ruder than 'what?' too. :blush:
  • Options
    I feel for you rachael, lately I feel sometimes really inadequate, because at sometimes I feel like I am too clever, too much of an egghead. I don't want to be the person who is thought of learning and doing unnecessary work, just because I can grasp a lot of things and remember a lot of practical stuff including molecule structures upon seeing them only once. Some things tho I can't memorize so quickly, like unpractical, dry things like maths. Even the class doofus sometimes grasped certain concepts before me.

On the other hand I feel stupid among some people. I talk to them and when reconsidering I just said I felt like I worded it wrong or chose unfitting vocabulary. Sometimes I speak rather incoherent because I forget certain vocabs and feel like I am leaving a daft impression.

You shouldn't worry too much about it rachael, the friends making fun of you isn't probably the nicest thing, but I'd bet nobody of them is speaking behind your back about how stupid you are, or something, they are just winding you up. People tend to do that, it's like a "running gag".

If those people really thought you were stupid, they wouldn't hang out with you. Nobody wants to hang out with stupid people.

Bear with it, and keep in mind:
    1st think
    2nd speak ;)

You are at Uni doing a degree, you shouldn't worry about "being" stupid.

chin up, gal...
  • Options
    I don't think I'm thick, but I've got a really short concentration span and I'm in my own little land a lot of the time.

I think people at work were on about holidays the other day and were speaking about America. I'm sort of drifting off and the next thing I know somebodys asking me about Amsterdam, and I was like "That's not in America is it?" but I think that's to do with speaking before I think more than anything. I'm just a bit slow sometimes.

People just laugh and aren't nasty about it though. I'd far rather be seen as intelligent and people respected me.

I wouldn't worry about it though, if anything it's your mates who aren't intelligent enough to get the sarcasm.
  • Options
    Nobody thinks he's thick.

intellect is the best-distributed good on earth, everyone is convinced he has enough of it.
  • Options
    Ah thankyou my Austrian friend! That was really nice. Although, I'm not ACTUALLY at uni quite yet...Doing an Access course and going to uni next year (I hope). I know they mean it in a playful way but the running gag gets so annoying sometimes. Well, it depends on my mood I think!

I will try to think and then speak in future. Or I'll just say no comment. Aha
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Nobody thinks he's thick.

intellect is the best-distributed good on earth, everyone is convinced he has enough of it.

I know people who're convinced they're thick, mainly because they've been told they are for a good part of their lives.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    I know people who're convinced they're thick, mainly because they've been told they are for a good part of their lives.
    That is just so sadly true. I work with so many children who are CONVINCED they are stupid because a teacher has said it to them throughout the whole year. But when tested for IQ they come out fine...

Edit - the above was a rant. Sorry Rachael, I can't think of any good advice to offer other than if you know you are smart, really KNOW it, as in have confidence in that by being who you are it will show through. What needs to show through is that confidence I mean.
  • Options
    Because of my particularly heavy Leicester accent, I can sound like a thick twat, but i'm really not. This misinterpretation usually goes away as soon as I know someone a little better. I also often find myself daydreaming when someone is telling me something and it goes in one ear and out the other. But whatever people think of me, I don't really care haha. I just say 'what' and they repeat it! I'm not one for getting caught up on what others think - I no i'm sharp, and that's good enough for me, and i'm not bothered if some idiot chooses to think otherwise...
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    The kind of girl who says something so stupid..You have to say 'awh' to. Do you know what I mean? I'm shite at explaining.
    that sounds cute. :p
    but basically you can change peoples perceptions by altering how you bahave / speak to them, they get used to it, their perception changes. simple.
    you shouldn't let other people's opinion of you get you down tho' :)
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Ah thankyou my Austrian friend! That was really nice. Although, I'm not ACTUALLY at uni quite yet...Doing an Access course and going to uni next year (I hope). I know they mean it in a playful way but the running gag gets so annoying sometimes. Well, it depends on my mood I think!

I will try to think and then speak in future. Or I'll just say no comment. Aha

A friend of mine never had a girlfriend and is a pretty passive person. Lazy, passive about everything. His mother confronted him once if he's gay and seems to believe it. Another friend is amused by this, because 1st friends mother thinks her son is together with the other (amused one).

We wind him up too at times, but we know he's not gay, so it's just all in fun.

I will tell you about complex molecule structures and redox-disproportion reactions of benzoaldehyds

wheyy wheyy just got called. I'm picked up in 15 minutes to play footie. hold up need to pack my shit together...

ok, where did I stop? Yes, I will tell you some complex terms of some stuff and next time your friends laugh at you, because you said "what?" just say, "oh I am sorry I just calculated the equlibrium constant of the Cannizzaro-reaction of benzaldehyd to benzoalcohol and bezoeacid in my head to the 32 digit after the comma, sorry I got distracted. I guess you were just talking about some mundane and boring stuff which would've bored me anyway... <mumble some numbers quietly>."

THAT WILL SHOW those pricks.

Oh shizzle... franz is there to pick me up. on the runnnnnnnnl,wekojfj eiofjoe
    *hugs*
  • Options
    Must seriously try that one. Thanks :D
  • Options
    Because of my particularly heavy Leicester accent, I can sound like a thick twat, but i'm really not. This misinterpretation usually goes away as soon as I know someone a little better. I also often find myself daydreaming when someone is telling me something and it goes in one ear and out the other. But whatever people think of me, I don't really care haha. I just say 'what' and they repeat it! I'm not one for getting caught up on what others think - I no i'm sharp, and that's good enough for me, and i'm not bothered if some idiot chooses to think otherwise...

What exactly does a Leicester accent sound like?!
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    What exactly does a Leicester accent sound like?!
    instead of saying Leicester you'd say leicestaa....I bet you read that wrong...I'm shit at typing sounds
  • Options
    I'm similar to you. I do tend to say a few stupid things to get a laugh. For example my friends were all in the car, the driver lives on a farm and was naming the different breeds of cow, so I pointed a sheep and said "what breed of cows that then?" and she said laughing "Oh god Stace that's a sheep". They all laughed at me and are CONVINCED I'm that stupid and bring it up to represent how stupid I am. I tried to explain I was joking and they're like "It's you all over stace". I trip over my words when I explain stuff and sometimes forget the more 'intelligant' word I meant and dumbdown as it were and I am intelligant too!

There's no easy way of changing peoples perception of you. Saying 'pardon' instead of what, would probably make people think you misheard more instead of it maybe being perceived as a "What (do you mean)?" sorta what. I suppose sometimes you just need to be serious, or follow any joking stupidity with, "No but seriously I think...".

But otherwise, that's 'you' to them. I doubt people think you're dumb! Probably just comical, not simple just in your own world sometimes??
    TBH they are the dumb ones for not getting the joke and they deserve to be laughed at!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    instead of saying Leicester you'd say leicestaa....I bet you read that wrong...I'm shit at typing sounds

Correct. It just makes you sound really dumb...!
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Sorry if I sound slightly self obsessed here. I'm really not.

How can you change people's perceptions of you?

For example if someone is talking and they'll ask me a question usually I'll say 'what?' and they'll laugh but the truth is I wasn't actually listening to them.

Next time just tell them you were deep in contemplation and could they please repeat the question .. :)

or just tell them you were checking out some really fit bloke and weren't listening .. they'll probably be more interested in seeing the bloke ..
  • Options
    or just tell them you were checking out some really fit bloke and weren't listening .. they'll probably be more interested in seeing the bloke ..
    lol, that's true!
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    lol, that's true!

.. I know .. could you imagine what would happen if I used my powers for evil ... :naughty:
  • Options
    .. I know .. could you imagine what would happen if I used my powers for evil ... :naughty:
    haha :lol: