Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why McDonalds is evil part #146294

McDonalds file patent on 'sandwiches'

You have to laugh at the cunts don't you... :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:

stupid perhaps, as the Patent Office say so obviously
    McDonald's or anyone else can't get retrospective exclusive rights to making a sandwich.

Evil seems slightly strong....
    Aladdin wrote:

Looks to me they are protecting their sandwhiches. Its no going to stop anyone making any sandwhich, but just not to make it like a Big Mac and aim to sell it as a Big Mac.

They have patents on thousands of things, most words with a Mc infront of it!

Having said this I do think they have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

:thumb:
    They're protecting the machinery and skills required to make their sandwich. They're not banning people from making a sandwich in the same way the patents on Audis don't stop people from making cars.

A slight bit of misrepresentation from you and the Grauniad there.
    Whatever 'skill' sandwich making takes, people had mastered it literally hundreds of years before the mass poisoners first put two buns together.

Whereas I can just about understand if they have some revolutionary and unique sandwich making machine of their own, to try to claim the act (regardless of what it might be) of making a sandwich as its intelectual property is the lowest of the low.

Never mind that calling those infernal contraptions 'sandwiches' or even 'food' is stretching the language a bit...
    McDonalds may have some nefarious practices but this is more on the amusing side than the evil, no? Pretty sure the patent police aren't going to be knocking down my door while I make my cheese salad on wholemeal each morning.
    The word 'evil' should perhaps be taken by all concerned a bit more lightly. There are not 1462294 reasons why it might be evil either despite what the thread title claims ;)

It is still a despicable corporation with no redeeming features whatsoever. This latest and supremely stupid move is not going to win them over many fans I should imagine.

And whereas trying to patent the sandwich might not qualify as evil, brainwashing children into going to McDonalds by supplying schools with 'updated' children's books full of not-so-subliminal messages probably has a proper claim on the term 'evil'.
    Aladdin wrote:
    And whereas trying to patent the sandwich might not qualify as evil, brainwashing children into going to McDonalds by supplying schools with 'updated' children's books full of not-so-subliminal messages probably has a proper claim on the term 'evil'.

Yeah alright I'll give you that one :D
    Aladdin wrote:
    brainwashing children into going to McDonalds by supplying schools with 'updated' children's books full of not-so-subliminal messages probably has a proper claim on the term 'evil'.

Because the poor little mites have quite enough of that(" brainwashing with books full of not-so-subliminal messages ") to contend with already ?
    Yes, we all know the poor children are being told all kind of 'delusions' about "countries" and "people". Let's try to keep on topic eh?
    Aladdin wrote:
    brainwashing children into going to McDonalds by supplying schools with 'updated' children's books full of not-so-subliminal messages probably has a proper claim on the term 'evil'.

McDonald's in the UK doesnt supply any books to schools at all.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes, we all know the poor children are being told all kind of 'delusions' about "countries" and "people". Let's try to keep on topic eh?

If you like,as it seems to have worked with you ;)
    Calvin wrote:
    McDonald's in the UK doesnt supply any books to schools at all.
    I used to, years ago, or at least tried to. Nick Cohen did an expose on it and probably stopped them from going further.

It's common practice in the US and probably many other nations.
    As I say, they aren't patenting the sandwich, they are patenting the machinery and the skills base that they use to mass-produce their sandwiches in a industrial kitchen setting.

It's hardly evil to take steps to defend your technology. As I say, Audi's adverts say they have 7,000 patents on their new car, but that isn't stopping me making one. It's just stopping me copying Audi's.

Books from McDonald's, or no books at all- I know what is less "evil".
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    McDonalds are greedy twunts, whats new?
    Ba da ba ba baa, i'm loving it.
    minimi38 wrote:

They have you brainwashed :D
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    minimi38 wrote:

I'm not.