Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Speaker issue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just looking for a bit of advice.

Got these new creative 5.1 surround sound speakers. Connected through my 7.1 capable sound card but the settings are matched to that of the 5.1 speaks. Intermittently the speakers are crackling and it's starting to annoy the hell out of me. I've tried taking all connections out and plugging back in again, tried playing around with the settings still to no avail. So I'm at a loss as to what is causing this.

Failing that perhaps they are just faulty ?

Such damn good speakers I can actually feel my music now. I just love these speakers.

Anything else i can try or any advice at all on how to correct this issue.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is anything crossing over the wires and causing them to move?
    Nothing that i can see Mist. I'd thought that maybe because the jacks were near one of the fan's it could be causing vibrations or similar but is that a possibility ?
    Possible I guess but if the plugs are in properly they shouldn't be able to move that much.
    I'm baffled by this. Everything is plugged in correctly. Nothing is loose.
    Is it all speakers, or just one, or what? I've little experience of multiple speakers on a PC, so I'm going to be little help...
    could be picking up magnetic and electrical fields from the PC itself.
    It's all the speakers that are affected with this crackling.

It's possible that it is picking up magnetic interference or electrical but it will be difficult to tell as the speaker wire for most of these speakers is so short i can't move the speaks very far form the desk.
    Can you try them on another computer, or source?
    Can you try them on another computer, or source?

not at the moment no.

The speakers that were connected before these never suffered from anything like this so it's these speakers specifically .. just cant place what's causing it. Have a free day tomorrow so will unplug the lot and go over everything again.
    This may sound stupid, but you don't have the volume on them on full do you? happens more often than you might think :p
    Uhm the system volume for all speakers are all set to full but the actual volume via the volume control on the main speaker is set to low so they shouldnd be suffering from crackling or anything tbh.

I'd accept that as a problem if i had been using them for months on end on full blast but after only about a month to two months on low volume - i cant use them very loud - i wouldnt expect it to happen.

:p
    Does the crackling disappear when the volume on the speakers is turned down to a reasonable level, and the output of the source(your soundcard) is increased?
    Does the crackling disappear when the volume on the speakers is turned down to a reasonable level, and the output of the source(your soundcard) is increased?

I'd have to say no.

Although just to add to that. It's so intermittent it's impossible to adjust any volume when it crackles and makes its little noises.
    Right i think i've discovered the cause.

I've noticed when the kitchen light is switched on this " crackling " occurs at the exact same time. So it's picking up interference. Thinking about it it happens when other electrical appliances and other electronic equipment are switched on.

Not sure i can do anything about this ...
    edn1 wrote:
    Not sure i can do anything about this ...

Do they do a thicker, shielded audio cables?
    You need a suppression filter. :)

http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/plugin-filter-p-1097.html
    http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=mains+filter&btnG=Search&hl=en

You could probably add one yourself, if you were feeling competent. Capacitors are pretty cheap... and they are a pretty good way of suppressing noise.
    Oh right that's cool. Will see about getting one of those when i have some cash. It'll be easy enough to put that into place when i get one.

Thanks for all the replies though folk's very much appreciated :)