Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dilemma

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Really unsure what to do about next year.

Currently:
At school 2 days a week studying CACHE Foundation in Child Care
At a work placement 2 days a week
Doing Key Skills for 3 hours on the other day

Now, I was talking to one of the girls who I have to work with at my work placement. She said someting like 'you could work here instead and go to Academy (which is somewhere near town) 2 days a week for your NVQ training. You'll get more money working here than you staying on at school.'

I went back today and spoke to the manager who said that I'd have to do it at Saltash which is about 7 miles away from where I live. (I already travel 4 miles to get to my work placement)

Now, I'm not too sure what I want to do next year. If I stay on at school next year, we're probably going to have to help the Year 10s again and am bored of school and the way I keep getting treated. (by teachers and a few of the girls on my course) But if I do what my manager said, I'm going to have to trvale nearly 14 miles a day just to go to college. Alos, I don't want to try and do it through another nursery because I'm fine at the one I'm at and get on well with everyone and this is my second work placement already since September. (Because of some problems with the way I was treated)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Isn't there another local school you could join for 6th form?
  • Options
    I'll be in Year 14 next year; no idea if any collehe would take me on.
  • Options
    Sixth form colleges/ general Colleges will take you on any time, any age, AFAIK. School based sixth forms might be different though.
  • Options
    Traveelling is not that much of a big dela if you want to go there.
    I travel 60 miles a day (return trip) to college just because it is a good college and exactly the course i wanted to do.
  • Options
    becky4131 wrote:
    Traveelling is not that much of a big dela if you want to go there.
    I travel 60 miles a day (return trip) to college just because it is a good college and exactly the course i wanted to do.

It'll be expensive though. And I don't drive and it'll mean basically getting up, catching 2 buses to Saltash, saying there until 3, catching 2 buses home, tea, shower and bed.

Nikki - the problem there is I don't live near any of the 6th form colleges and there's finances to consider as well.
  • Options
    To be honest, 14 miles to college is pretty normal as far as I'm concerned. I've always lived out of catchment to all my schools/colleges and had to get buses and lifts off people.

If childcare is really what you want to do, you ought to be willing to go the distance for it.

Also, do you know if you're elligible for any gvt grants? I know my friend gets Educational Maintenance Allowance of £30 week because she's at college. It's worth thinking about it money's an issue.
  • Options
    I already get EMA. However, I won't get it if I drop out of school and do work and study. (although, I think I got told I would get paid about £500 a month, if I stay where I am now.)

Will talk to my supervisor when I next see her to see if it would be possible to go to the centre in town to study (which is only about a mile away) and stay where I am now and still get paid.