Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is Dutch government right to back burqa ban?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Of course it won't, it's exactly why they're wearing them in the first place, because community relations are so bad. Encouraging them however to integrate with society publically is a step forward though. Maybe after we get down to basics and realise they're no different to us, then they can walk around with their Burqa's but as things stand, it's not helping matters at all.

Yes, 'encouraging them' to integrate is the way forward - not legally forcing them
  • Options
    LucieLu wrote:
    But to these women there IS a valid reason. Perhaps not one you or I understand or even accept - and we don't have to. The reason they cover themselves is because of their own or their families religious beliefs. And of course not every Muslim chooses to cover themselves in this way but so what? These do. It's a personal belief.

What if the issue was about men carrying a sword at all times, as part of a religious traditional dress, this would not be tolerated. Even though there is no intention of using that weapon, it would only be as part of their dress, they would have to conform to the society they lived in if carrying such a thing was illegal. In this case, Holland is accommodating the popular feelings of the time by banning the Burqa and will probably not stop until they have made it clear no religious symbolism can be flaunted excessively in certain places of their society. In this case it just means any Burqa wearer who moved to Holland would have to change to fit the laws they already have and the ones who already live there have to change to fit the new laws, like when speed limits are altered or smoking bans are imposed.

(By the way, the sword is just an example of something that could be used as part of traditional dress, i am not calling the Burqa by comparison a dangerous weapon, but i am explaining this as sometimes i feel i have to spell it all out for some people)
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    What if the issue was about men carrying a sword at all times, as part of a religious traditional dress, this would not be tolerated

Fair point that- Sikhs are supposed to carry a small knife in their turban to "defend their faith", yet they don't in this country because of what it symbolises here.

I don't especially care what people wear, I find the jilbab odious but I can see Lucie's point, and its something I hadn't really thought of. It's interesting that its nearly always Muslim men who complain about attacks on the jilbab, though.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I know you added a postscript but I think comparing a burqa with a sword is an absolute nonsense. I fully support swords being banned in public places because there is a logical reason to do so - public safety. I am yet to see someone stabbed to death by a burka.
  • Options
    Sihks do carry around a little knife I believe (though normally this is just a representation on a necklace). So its tolerated fine here.

But thats not really the point, none of you have come up with any real benefit which this new law will produce, if you are going to take away someone liberty there must be a good reason.

Who does this help?
  • Options
    LucieLu wrote:
    I would be shocked if those women who currently wear burqas for whatever reason uncover their face in public because of this law. It is much more likely they will stay or be strongly encouraged to stay at home. Which is going to do the exact opposite of encouraging them to integrate with society publically, no?

It's a double edge sword.

I know European ideals promote freedom of expression which includes religion. But it also states that people should be free from supression which the Burqa quite clearly is.

If the bill passes then I'm afraid Muslims who wear Burqa's are going to have to accept it, wrongly or rightly.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    But thats not really the point, none of you have come up with any real benefit which this new law will produce, if you are going to take away someone liberty there must be a good reason.

Who says it has to be a benefit. Why should it not be a counter-act to how relations between Muslims and non-Muslims is ever continually detereorating?

I mean, most people when they see a Burqa they think "why is she wearing this, has she got something to hide, why is she not like us."

Not, "oh bless, it's her civil/religious liberty and she's allowed to express that freely" Not everyone has a grasp of these notions, it's why there's an incredible amount of racism about in Europe and also an incredible amount of anti-West sentiment. It's fear of the unknown.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Who says it has to be a benefit.
    Because it needs police and legal resources to enforce. So spending money with no benefit is a waste, and if it was my money, I'd prefer it to be used on something that has a benefit to people.
  • Options
    Because it needs police and legal resources to enforce. So spending money with no benefit is a waste, and if it was my money, I'd prefer it to be used on something that has a benefit to people.

God that's scraping the barrell. What if it was to enforce an ideal that suits the majority of the people?
  • Options
    LucieLu wrote:
    I'm sorry, I know you added a postscript but I think comparing a burqa with a sword is an absolute nonsense. I fully support swords being banned in public places because there is a logical reason to do so - public safety. I am yet to see someone stabbed to death by a burka.

That is why i added a post script, because when every i pointed out a government had a responsibility to the people who elected them, a fair few people then went on to use the comparison of banning the burqa to be the same as creating a law to commit genocide. I was just trying to keep my examples to be about clothing though.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    God that's scraping the barrell. What if it was to enforce an ideal that suits the majority of the people?
    That has no benefit whatsoever to any of the population? Talk about scraping the barrel. Enforcing laws for the sake of it?
  • Options
    Enforcing laws for the sake of it?

Welcome to the world of politics.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Welcome to the world of politics.
    :D Fair enough.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You don't see the irony then. Telling people how to dress in the name of freedom is weird in my book.

well i'm glad someone understands, it's becoming a recurring theme in 21st century politics.....
  • Options
    What i find ironic about the Dutch Government is that they allow a paedophile party to exist on the basis of freedom of expression, but finds that burkas are somehow a threat to society and has no problem in banning them. Really, what kind of logic is that? :confused:
  • Options
    But according to that policeman, they're not technically a paedophile party. :p
  • Options
    But according to that policeman, they're not technically a paedophile party. :p
    :p
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Who says it has to be a benefit. Why should it not be a counter-act to how relations between Muslims and non-Muslims is ever continually detereorating?

I mean, most people when they see a Burqa they think "why is she wearing this, has she got something to hide, why is she not like us."

So forcing women to dress differently just because others dont like it is going to make community relations better?
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    What i find ironic about the Dutch Government is that they allow a paedophile party to exist on the basis of freedom of expression, but finds that burkas are somehow a threat to society and has no problem in banning them. Really, what kind of logic is that? :confused:
    Good point.

Obviosly paedos are a small threat and minor invonvenience compared with those evil Muslims...
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    So forcing women to dress differently just because others dont like it is going to make community relations better?

Doubt it. Can see the logic though.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Who does this help?

Always seemed pretty clear who was to be helped. The current right-wing government in the Netherlands, with its hard-line views on immigration.

You'd assume that the cabinet backing a law targetting Muslims just 5 days before a general election isn't an accident - although it looks like welfare reforms will in the end be a much bigger issue than immigration.

Always strange to realise that the liberal image portrayed in Amsterdam isn't a reflect of Holland as a whole.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6170444.stm
  • Options
    According to a bloke I know in Holland, this burka thing is getting next to no press coverage anyway, the news is dominated there by an abuse scandle. It seems dutch troops in Iraq have been up to nasty tricks.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    It seems dutch troops in Iraq have been up to nasty tricks.

Removing burqas, perhaps ?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    If thousands of people came forward and said that they were disturbed by the wearing of the veil then maybe it would be right to make it illegal.

At precisely what number would you draw the line ?
    J wrote:
    Fear of the unknown. It's every humans greatest fear.

That`s very absolute,wouldn`t you say ?

I find the "unknown" quite exciting.