Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Value for money? I don't think so!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why do people have to pay the same amount of money for clothes that are smaller, for Example:

I go buy a woolly jumper - size 8, Someone size 18 is going to pay the same price, yet twice as much material has gone into making it, This is especially annoying, when buying a high quality Item of clothing.

I wouldn't be complaining however if I could sew, Then I would be able to make myself a Hat, Scarf and Gloves set to match out of the let over material.

Thoughts?...

:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A lot of places do charge a bit extra for the larger sizes actually.
    Not where I shop they don't.
    no, most high street places dont, but most high street places dont really have much selection in those larger sizes anyway. I think bigger people probably have a hard enough time getting nice clothes anyway. I dont see whats wrong with them paying the same as you for their clothes tbh.
    I'm not saying bigger people should pay more exactly,
    I'd just like to get what I pay for, So, Would prefer to pay less for something that's less material + Less time has gone into making it

Doesn't make sense.
    No matter how hard I try I cannot for the life of me work out exactly what it is that's annoying you.

Is it because you think the price of your clothes has been pushed up to cover the extra cost of the clothes in bigger sizes? Or is it because you think bigger people are getting slightly more of a bargain than you?

Either way I find it an extremely odd thing to be annoyed about.

Where DO you shop, may I ask?
    Miffy wrote:
    No matter how hard I try I cannot for the life of me work out exactly what it is that's annoying you.

Is it because you think the price of your clothes has been pushed up to cover the extra cost of the clothes in bigger sizes? Or is it because you think bigger people are getting slightly more of a bargain than you?

Either way I find it an extremely odd thing to be annoyed about.

Where DO you shop, may I ask?

It's really NOT Rocket Science at all
    It's the fact that they are gettin' more value for money!!

I SHOP where I can, Nowhere in particular, River-Island for example.
    It's really NOT Rocket Science at all
    It's the fact that they are gettin' more value for money!!

I can only imagine you don't have much to worry about if that's the kind of thing that annoys you.
    Well, It's hardly High on my list of things to worry about!!!!

It's simply a thought that crossed my mind. I didn't realise thoughts have to be those that you beat yourself up over everyday in order to post them on a message board! :rolleyes:
    Well to be fair, it is rather petty, not to mention potentially offensive.
    For gods sake, Why the hell is it Offensive????

Why pay for a Bag of sugar if you only need half? :mad:
    Yes, petty is exactly what it is.

And you said that it's especially annoying when buying high quality clothing, suggesting that, rather than it just being a thought that crossed your mind, it was something over which you feel varying degrees of annoyance directly related to the value of the item in question and thus inferring that it wasn't a one off thought. That's all.
    For gods sake, Why the hell is it Offensive????

Why pay for a Bag of sugar if you only need half? :mad:

I said potentially offensive, not offensive. If it bothers you that much, learn to sew and make your own clothes, that way you aren't paying for any more than you need.
    Miffy wrote:
    Yes, petty is exactly what it is.

And you said that it's especially annoying when buying high quality clothing, suggesting that, rather than it just being a thought that crossed your mind, it was something over which you feel varying degrees of annoyance directly related to the value of the item in question and thus inferring that it wasn't a one off thought. That's all.

It's a thought that crossed my mind, and yes at random intervals while I'm shopping, I wonder why I'm paying for less!

No big deal is it?

and if it is such a petty thing, Why do you keep coming back to the thread, Must be a topic of interest, that maybe you have thought about more than once?
    I said potentially offensive, not offensive. If it bothers you that much, learn to sew and make your own clothes, that way you aren't paying for any more than you need.

That's not very realistic though is it?!
    and if it is such a petty thing, Why do you keep coming back to the thread, Must be a topic of interest, that maybe you have thought about more than once?

It's not really something that would ever cross my mind. I have small feet but I don't get annoyed because people with big feet are getting more shoe for their money!

You asked for thoughts, these have been my thoughts. :) Now I'm off to bed, goodnight!
    Miffy wrote:
    It's not really something that would ever cross my mind. I have small feet but I don't get annoyed because people with big feet are getting more shoe for their money!

You asked for thoughts, these have been my thoughts. :) Now I'm off to bed, goodnight!

That is the only constructive thing you've had to say on the subject.

The majority of your thoughts were insinuations.

goodnight!
    Clothes have an extremely high mark up value on them, so the larger sizes make a few cents less profit than non larger sizes. Hardly rocket science.

Could you imagine the outrage and lawsuits that would occur of higher markups of larger clothes.

And I'd hate if my giant ski feet shoes cost more than Miffy's itty bitty ones :p
    why not buy the larger version, cut off the bits you dont need and give them as xmas presents!!

allround value for money.
    koe_182 wrote:
    why not buy the larger version, cut off the bits you dont need and give them as xmas presents!!

allround value for money.
    :thumb:

Besides which Sarah, I think you'll find that larger size clothes don't actually have twice the material that your size 8s do. The difference between each size is normally something like an inch - a size 8 waist will be around 23" and a size 18 waist will be around 33".

Should I start getting annoyed when people with really long hair pay the same as me for a drastic chop, seeing as my hair is above my shoulders?
    You'll find that the main reason is that the cost of the fabric is only a tiny part of the cost of the clothing.

It costs the shop the same in staff wages to sell an 18 as it does to sell an 8 (or potentially the 8s cost more because generally people with better figures spend longer trying things on and perusing the selection than those with a larger figure).

The marketing costs are the same.

The shipping and packing costs are the same (the very slight difference in volume makes no difference to how many tops you can get in the packing crate).

The shelf space taken up is the same, so they have the same contribution towards what rent costs.

The design costs are the same.

The machining costs are virtually the same (a few inches more or less on a machined seam has almost no cost implications).

On most things the increased cost that the hassle of having difference pricing for the slight difference in cost of a material isn't worth what it would cost them to work it out and tag things.

At the end of the day, out of what you pay only a teeney weeney part is fabric and machining, most is design, advertising, shipping, staffing....
    Is a 33 inch waist really a size 18??
    :crying:

I have actually thought about this before, being a shortie. I can only get trousers to fit me in certain shops, usually none of the budget ones like primark stock petite trousers and in places like Dorothy Perkins the petite trousers seem to cost more (or the same) than the long ones.

If you have small feet (5 and under) you can buy child's shoes, I get child's trainers which I believe are tax free and are much cheaper. I've also recently discovered I can fit into Tammy girl stuff (which is sold at BHS), they have some very nice things and are cheap too.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I've also recently discovered I can fit into Tammy girl stuff (which is sold at BHS), they have some very nice things and are cheap too.

Haha. I have discovered this, too. I also like to buy kiddie stuff from H&M and M&S, too. Obviously not sparkly pink dresses and stuff, but plain t-shirts etc are too cheap to pass up.

It has never crossed my mind that as the sizes go up, so should the price. That seems ridiculous to me. Especially as, as most people have already said, the physical size of the material is such a small part of the production costs of a garment.
    Should I start getting annoyed when people with really long hair pay the same as me for a drastic chop, seeing as my hair is above my shoulders?
    well actually you do pay more at a hairdressers if you have long hair. but as scary monster explained.. alot more is considered in the price of clothes than just the material.
    Well I do sew. I sew for myself (size 6/8) and for my cousin (size 18/20). It takes the same amount of time to cut, sew and finish a small garment as it does a bigger one, and the difference in cost between materials is minimal. When you're talking sweatshops and wholesale fabric prices, as with high street shops, the difference will not even be pence.

I'm 5'3". Should I be annoyed that I'm not getting my money's worth because I always end up lopping between 2" and 6" off the bottom of my jeans? After all, the taller people are getting more jean for their money!
    Nah, not at my hairdressers you don't. £18 for a style and blow dry, regardless of what you're having done.
    theres nothing to stop slim people buying bigger baggy sizes if they want to increase their value for money.
    what about the set nhs prescription charges? you pay £6.65 for whatever you get. when my nanna had cancer she was on some quite expensive tablets yet she only had to pay £6.65 - while this means you're paying more when you get cheaper tablets, it's good for when you're on expensive ones.

i think that's kind of related to what you say...
    I don't have to pay extra for my long hair to be cut, I'd go elsewhere if that was the case.

I have to say, until Sarah had mentioned it, I had never thought about it. I don't really care to be honest, I don't buy clothes that often.
    i guess essentially it would be a tax on bigger people.
    am i the only one who pays extra for having long hair?? this has always been the case in the salons i go to. but then again i go to expensive ones and then pay extra for having the top stylist.
This discussion has been closed.