Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Vista Beta Ends When?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When does the Beta Period end?

Had a look around but is it March 07?

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I dunno, I set my sysetm date as 1983... I think it is around that time.

Then I unistalled it cos it was shit.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Then I unistalled it cos it was shit.

Typical - Have you seen What the packaging is going to be like?

WindowsVistaUltimate_web.jpg

khS_dia4CJnDwse0KrbAsVxgt9C216At4nvQ5yHMKSKlvF0DGeCkrSlJSjQNeaYu5xgoiRIECXgzI_jLsivORLVWRuCJES93Yy_V-5zPN8pat4PEYpjQUvMxq1fWLAZ859twCESQoCQWj-t48tdNRptvQJQ8Zt.jpg

khS_dia4CJnDwse0KrbAsVxgt9C216At4nvQ5yHMKa7Gr0eggJ72mn1bwooFLDnc-atIwwwSqgSRzagaZMO-FfNHzQItRIZdDCptPZNlM4KLGC45UoScCcFkDaxq6jmQwoXeL2VPw59v4aPKIlTAyEZbnRRQP3.jpg

khS_dia4CJnDwse0KrbAsVxgt9C216At4nvQ5yHMKxNVcjrbuUCEnKm24Vr4dqObWj3oVDbDztk5KBs4Yh_IjsPuP02FFdnxyUU08GW9BGsIxNmzRC5BnYHKTpzGoEUprOtKLJlqsyS7j4suOSqWQE3BlP-eo7.jpg

The Vista Prem and Business you can tell are Basicaly PRO and Home
    the packaging? :lol: who cares about the packaging, the software is the important bit.
    Replicant wrote:
    the packaging? :lol: who cares about the packaging, the software is the important bit.

I thought someone would say something about it:angel:

I think it looks very nice.:cool:
    It looks nice, but as much as the box is cool, I ain't paying £300 for it.

I'll torrent ultimate when I need to get it. Probably after SP2 is out for it... I am yet sceptical of what gaming performance will be like. If it is good and stable, fuck it, i'll get it sooner.

I will only get Ultimate though. The beta has proved, whilst functional, to crash, and to be uncompatible with a fair amount of stuff. I need all compatibility.

I also want to be able to run upgrade from XP without the risk of loosing all my data, but what are the chances of that ever happening? :yeees:
    Coolme why do you 'bum' Vista so much? It's even in your AV now...
    Nash wrote:

Well, I guess we need a resident Windows fanboy to keep the Mac fanboys at bay.

I like Windows alot meself. Just not Vista. XP has grown on me, but the bad memories still burn away.
    I was running vista RTM for a while. well , 4 days to be precise. I wont be reinstalling until they release a service pack or two :-P.
    CoolMe wrote:
    Typical - Have you seen What the packaging is going to be like?

Who the hell cares? The only people who end up with it are the morons who buy retail from PC World. Anyone with any brains will be spending at least 50% less and going OEM...

Believe it or not, the cardboard packaging isn't the most important part of an operating system :).
    click@rampantrabbit:~$ uptime
    19:10:36 up 34 days, 5:30, 1 user, load average: 0.49, 0.53, 0.43

I always go over 30 days without a reboot. I've been up to 80 before now without any degradation in performance. Show me a Windows box in use every day than can do such things... and still run at a decent speed. :)
    Nash wrote:

Im a Microsoft employee
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well, I guess we need a resident Windows fanboy to keep the Mac fanboys at bay.
    :lol:
    noog wrote:
    I was running vista RTM for a while. well , 4 days to be precise. I wont be reinstalling until they release a service pack or two :-P.

What version is that ive heard of it but not seen any Microsoft stuff on it
    Release To Manufacture. Final, in other words.
    Release To Manufacture. Final, in other words.

oo lovely, i take it only for MSDN people?
    CoolMe wrote:

Or people with torrent tbh :p

Don't be new :p Piracy ftw. I had RC2 when I tried it... the original betas didn't even work for me!
    CoolMe wrote:

Erm, the piraters had it before the MSDN & Technet people had it. lol.

There's also a fairly serious bug that will ship on all vista cd's , which could potentially let you delete entire folders that you didn't mean to. GG Microsoft :-)

Also...
    simon@slinky:~$ uptime
    00:09:37 up 400 days, 2:30, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.08, 0.08

Ave it ;)
    Look at your load average - that's a box you don't really use :p. You got a dedicated firewall or something? :)
    I asked my MSDN Friend, and he basicaly said no i cant have the "RTM" Version, due to the activation thing is there anyway i could say to him - No need to worry ill be able to do it?
    CoolMe wrote:
    I asked my MSDN Friend, and he basicaly said no i cant have the "RTM" Version, due to the activation thing is there anyway i could say to him - No need to worry ill be able to do it?

I didn't need to, 'cos when I intalled it that PC was unplugged from the net?

There will be a crack somewhere anyway tbh! Or just get a torrent version, it will most likley have instructions.
    noog wrote:
    There's also a fairly serious bug that will ship on all vista cd's , which could potentially let you delete entire folders that you didn't mean to. GG Microsoft :-)

Exactly the same as the first release of Win XP? when will microsoft learn!:no:
    Theres a RTM version on newsgroups, i shall be getting that. i dont believe in piracy but it makes me so angry that microsoft make such sub-par operating systems and charge so much for it, ive already given them enough money with buying win 98, win ME and XP bundled with computers. infact microsoft should compensate me for the disgrace that was ME.

Anyways, would an RTM have an activation period?
    CoolMe wrote:
    When does the Beta Period end?

Had a look around but is it March 07?

In answer to the original question...

It ended a week ago, but only because of pressure to release, IMHO it's still beta software. I've had the 'final' version of XP running and its still a bit crap :)
    Nash wrote:
    apfftt.
    apfftt.

Whats that ment to mean?

And ill give asking him another shot:thumb:
    Amnesiac wrote:
    Exactly the same as the first release of Win XP? when will microsoft learn!:no:
    Theres a RTM version on newsgroups, i shall be getting that. i dont believe in piracy but it makes me so angry that microsoft make such sub-par operating systems and charge so much for it, ive already given them enough money with buying win 98, win ME and XP bundled with computers. infact microsoft should compensate me for the disgrace that was ME.

Anyways, would an RTM have an activation period?

Tosser. Don't like it? Don't pay for it, don't use it. Stick with what you have.
    We have had a copy of Vista laying round the office for a while now... thought I might as well install it the other day...

Personally... I dont like it, but I got to know the in's and out's of it... im being sent on a days training course soon... exciting stuff :impissed:
    I cant see myself using Vista much really, At least not until SP1...

All the activation crap and genuine advantage just gets me down :P

(For the same reason, I wont be installing Office '07, cos frankly office 2003 is just about perfection)
    noog wrote:
    (For the same reason, I wont be installing Office '07, cos frankly office 2003 is just about perfection)

2003 is very good, ive got some coursework i was doing at school using 03 and when i got home and useing 07 to work on it, it screwed alot of it up!

But i sorted it at school
    noog wrote:
    All the activation crap and genuine advantage just gets me down :P

I wonder why that is...:naughty: