Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

p45 or p46?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hmm just started a new job, at my old one i never filled out a form for tax etc and never got taxed, but at this job i am doing, although i shouldnt because im in full time education etc etc

Basically they told me to fill out a form, but i cant remember whether they said p45 or p46....i think its 46 but im confused!!

Xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    p45 is something you get when you finish a job. p46 is something you get yearly i think with what you have paid in tax etc in the year aswell as what you earn't.
    Have they not given you whatever it is they want you to fill out? :S
    Nooo..worked at my old work for a year and a half and never filled in a form lol, and my new work told me too ring hmrc or whatever, but they told me too get a p46 (i think) off my employer, now found i can download this off the internet but i dont know if its what im supposed to be doing?!
    The P46 is the form you fill in when you start a new job to confirm that it is your sole employment. This is a form your employer should provide you, and it is their responsibility under PAYE to give you this form and then submit it to HMRC when completed.

The P45 is the form you get when you leave an employer.

The P60 is the form you get at the end of a tax year confirming your payments for the previous year. You only get this if you do not get a pay slip in the first weeks of April.
    If you're supposed to be getting it off your old employer then it'll be a P45 you need. That says what tax you've paid so far this tax year etc and has everything your new employer needs.
    So is my old place of employment wrong for never issuing me with a p45, as my new employer hasnt either? Guess ill just have to get a p46, but how do they decide which tax band your in etc it doesnt say anywhere about full time education or anything, or does that not matter?
    Your new employer isn't going to be giving you a p45 unless you are leaving.
    Everyone is entitled to earn x amount before being taxed.
    I suggest that you ask your new employer for the p46 to fill in then.
    Ok, my old employer didnt give me 1 either, how odd, ahh well, stupid people!
    Gucci2 wrote:
    Ok, my old employer didnt give me 1 either, how odd, ahh well, stupid people!

You weren't paid cash in hand were you?
    nope
    Chances are you didn't earn enough to pay tax. Either way your new employer should be able to give you the p46
    You should have a got a P45 when you left your old job.

How much tax you pay has nothing to do with being in full time education as such. You have a personnal allowance which you are entitled to tax free, (about £4k a year) and above that you pay tax. Most people in full time education don't make that much in a year, hence don't pay tax.

PM Joolyknockers- they're an expert on this!
    You should have a got a P45 when you left your old job.

How much tax you pay has nothing to do with being in full time education as such. You have a personnal allowance which you are entitled to tax free, (about £4k a year) and above that you pay tax. Most people in full time education don't make that much in a year, hence don't pay tax.

PM Joolyknockers- they're an expert on this!

i earn more than that but im guessing with the amount i was taxed i was emergency taxed...all starting to make sense now! Basically i need a p46 =D x
    I thought you said you didn't get taxed?
    You need a P46 if you never received a P45 from your old employer.

If you can, chase the P45 at the same time as submitting a P46, as having the P45 is very important for your tax records. You should always receive a P45 when you leave employment or come off benefits, even if you paid no tax, but many employers are a bit lax at getting them sent out.
    Gucci2 wrote:
    Hmm just started a new job, at my old one i never filled out a form for tax etc and never got taxed, but at this job i am doing, although i shouldnt because im in full time education etc etc

Basically they told me to fill out a form, but i cant remember whether they said p45 or p46....i think its 46 but im confused!!

Xx

A student exemption form - P38(s) only applies if you are a student working in holiday periods only. If you are doing evenings and weekends as well DON'T FILL IT IN!!

Students are liable to tax. End of.

Your old employer should have given you a form P45 although some employers do make up their own rules. Some of them even like to withold them as "punishment" :eek2:
    Your old employer should have given you a form P45 although some employers do make up their own rules. Some of them even like to withold them as "punishment" :eek2:

Thats sounds familar. Or they dont give out the P60s because they cant be arsed, or 'lose' you P45. :nervous:

The new style P46 is crap though, nearly every one whos had one at work asks me stuff about it.
    The new style P46 is crap though, nearly every one whos had one at work asks me stuff about it.

I don't like them either. I find them really hard to read and they have moved everything. Don't like change LOL
    I don't like them either. I find them really hard to read and they have moved everything. Don't like change LOL

The question about student loans makes NO sense at all, I had to read it above five times before I understood it.
    I know

At least it's on there though....if you filled in an old style P46 it could take ages to get the loan repayments going through again though cos there was no SL declaration.
    i think i need fill out a p46 cus ive been taxed when i shouldnt be
    luvmeright wrote:
    i think i need fill out a p46 cus ive been taxed when i shouldnt be

Are you a student? If you're earning a certain amount, you will still be taxed, I'm not sure of the exact figure but I think it's around £5000 a year (correct me if I'm wrong someone in the know).

If you aren't earning that much then you need to speak to someone at your work to see whats going on. You can also claim your tax back, though I'm not sure on how this works, just that a few of my friends have done it.
    Nikki* wrote:
    Are you a student? If you're earning a certain amount, you will still be taxed, I'm not sure of the exact figure but I think it's around £5000 a year (correct me if I'm wrong someone in the know).

If you aren't earning that much then you need to speak to someone at your work to see whats going on. You can also claim your tax back, though I'm not sure on how this works, just that a few of my friends have done it.

Normal tax free-allowance for this year is £5035