Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Insane neighbours

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok i live in a big house converted into 6 flats. i am on the ground floor with 1 flat below and 1 above. some new neighbours have just moved in above us and i swear they are insane! they are up every day at 4 o clock but i think this is because its ramadam so that's ok. they have the washing machine on at 4 o clock - this is not ok as their kitchen seems to be above our bedroom. then they put the washer on the next day too! every day it is on at least one time, mostly twice and yesterday was on THREE TIMES! and last night it was on at 1 o clock in the morning. now maybe its just me but i find that incredibly inconsiderate. anyway having been woken up at 4 o clock every day for the past week by the washer our patience has worn a little thin so i went up and knocked on their door for a quiet word. no answer. i could hear them walking around but they refused to answer the door. ended up banging on our ceiling with a broom until they moved it into their hall. now it is back on

now i am confused. it sounds exactly like a washer but why would they have it on 3 times a day?! also i can hear it through the ceiling pretty clear and it always stops abruptly, it never goes on a spin cycle. could it be anything else?

are they mad?! who washes clothes 3 times a day!? am i being unreasonable not wanting it on at 1 o clock and 4 o clock in the morning?

Comments

• Options
    kangoo wrote:
    am i being unreasonable not wanting it on at 1 o clock and 4 o clock in the morning?

Not at all, it would really piss me off too. Drop a note round, if they're not answering the door, or maybe have a word with the lanlord. I'm sure there must be a 'not aggrivate/annoy/piss off other tennats' clause in the tenancy and putting your washer on at 4am would contradict that. In my eyes anyway.
  • Options
    id have a word with the landlord. They are definitely being a nuisance if theyre having the washer on that much.
  • Options
    They are probably breaching the terms of their tenancy agreement, but try and have a word with them first. They probably don't realise how noisy it is.

You could also do the landlord of the property for failing to provide adequate sound insulation.
  • Options
    they might not know how noisy it is, especially as the noise you're hearing includes floor vibration, which I presume they don't hear. I would tread softly softly before bringing in officials. If nowt helps, get in touch with your/their landlord.
  • Options
    they won't answer the bloody door! i think the banging of the ceiling the night before last has given them the hint but if they do it again i will contact landlord
  • Options
    I can symapthise with you on this one, I live in a 1st floor flat & have neighbours above & below. The neighbours above work funny hours, one gets home at midnight, another leaves at 4am, it must be a tardis in there cus ive seen at least 6 of them goin in & out! They were constantly washin & hooverin at all times of day & night, i started by bangin on the ceiling (not goin up there in my pj's!) & they just ignored me. Then it got worse, music startin at 11.30pm & goin on til about 3am. I reported them to their landlord & had to go up ther twice. They are foreign & acted like they didnt understand me the 1st time, but the 2nd time they gave me crap on their doorstep & made fun of me! I reported them again & finally, it looks like they either had enough of my complaints or got kicked out, cus they've gone! (Ahhh sweet silence!)
    Thing is, we have neighbours below too, never really heard much from them until the upstairs neighbours left, now I'm kept awake at night cus I can hear snoring form downstairs! Lol! (Just can't win!) I can't really complain to their landlord about that, but have thought about sticking a 'stop snoring' leaflet of some sort through their door! Moving into a nice old brick solid house soon though, so hopefully will get some peace! Lol!