Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Grey areas regarding sexual relations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone seen this is the news?

A welsh Chief Constable has said that classing anyone who has sex with someone under the age of 16 as a paedophile is wrong. He suggests that there should be a grey area for those having sex with someone between 13 and 16.

13 being the age beneath which sex is considered rape, and 16 being the age of consent.

The way the law stands at the moment my 16 year old boyfriend was commiting an offence when we had sex and I was 15, and could have been put on the sex offenders register had it been reported, which to me seems to be utterly ridiculous. Apart from anything else I know damn well who was the more mature one in that relationship.... (it wasn't him!)

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Here, onwards.
  • Options
    I dont think age cut off's are really all that useful, people mature at such different rates and girls (according to medicial types) seem to be maturing earlier and earlier.

I think it needs to be more based on the differing ages, a 13 and a 14 year old having sex is quite different from a 13 and a 40 year old having sex.
  • Options
    Yes, the age of both participants has to be taken into account.

There is also the fact that people are reaching sexual maturity and becoming sexuall active earlier than they have done in the past. The law should reflect this.

In several countries in Europe the age of consent is 14, 13, even 12. It should eventually be lowered here as well, though it might be a good idea to set out limits on the age of the older participant. Like it's been said before, there is a lot more wrong with a 60 year old having sex with a 15 y.o. than an 17 y.o. doing it with a 14 y.o.
  • Options
    My apologies, I didn't realise that the why thread had drifted this way at times, but to avoid thread jacking this discussion may as well continue.
    budda wrote:
    I think it needs to be more based on the differing ages, a 13 and a 14 year old having sex is quite different from a 13 and a 40 year old having sex.

This was what I was thinking. Maybe allowing the police and the courts to use their discretion for these cases would be the way forward. As I understand it if someone admits having sexual relations with someone under age that automatically puts them on the offendors register.
  • Options
    Not sure I want the age of consent to be 12. 16 seems right to me, OK some people may be emotionally mature enough before that age, but plenty aren't.

That said I think there is a point that a 40 year old having sex with a 15 year old is different from a 17 year old having it away with her. That said I'd still criminalise 17 year olds having sex with 13 year olds
  • Options
    Fair enough. Technically the bloke's right (of course the tabloids don't like it when someone says something vaguely controversial, even less so when they know it's true, and especially when it contradicts all of their headlines for the past few years). Saying that the age of consent is a accurate measurement of who can be considered a paedophile and who can't is ridiculous. That way someone could be a paedophile in one country but not in another, for doing exactly the same thing. A paedophile isn't a moral label, it's simply a statement of someones condition/persuasion (I don't know which to call it).

As such, I agree with him. Law is about morality, and as such, it needs to make a judgement as to whether the relationship is 'acceptable', in which case it can take into account the age of both parties, as well as the methods by which they met. Someone grooming and manipulating someone online for months with the specific aim of sleeping with them, is different from someone simply meeting someone normally and ending up forming a relationship with them, even if the offending person is of the same age. Equally, I think there is some type of condition for someone who is specifically interested in sex with teenagers (it has a name, and I can't remember it). Of course that is a different problem than someone meeting a girl socially that they like, who just happens to be under the age of consent.

Here's him defending his statement.
  • Options
    Interesting to see how people continue to try and perpetuate the myth that anyone under the age of 16 is "naive" and "defenceless", and that anyone who wants to have sex with them is a "predator".

I wouldn't want to have sex with someone that young now because they're mostly not mentally mature enough, but when I was 17 many would have been. So why should a 17-year-old boy be treated the same as, say, Graham Rix? There are also problems with telling how old someone is- it is very hard to tell between a 14-year-old girl and a 18-year-old girl on physical appearance.

I really like the idea of grading the age of consent. If two people want to have sex, and they are willingly going into it, then there's nothing wrong with it, even if one or both are a bit under the legal age. As I say, there's something far more wrong with an older man having sex with a 16-year-old than there is a 20-year-old having sex with a 14-year-old.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I wouldn't want to have sex with someone that young now because they're mostly not mentally mature enough, but when I was 17 many would have been.

That`s a sentiment I can wholeheartedly agree with.
  • Options
    A welsh Chief Constable has said that classing anyone who has sex with someone under the age of 16 as a paedophile is wrong.

By definition.
  • Options
    Indeed. But the definition is so often missed.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    So why should a 17-year-old boy be treated the same as, say, Graham Rix?

How old was he when he was put in prison?