Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Harrods ban soldiers on Remembrance Day

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He was off-duty and in full uniform. He was declined entry because of dress, as countless others have been throughout the decades.

I would assume that a soldier in uniform is there on business, and that would concern me if I was shopping in a high-end store in a city proven to be a terrorist target.

Why should he be allowed to break the dress code when others aren't? He's nothing special.
    Kermit wrote:
    He's nothing special.

his a soldier of the british army, a group of people that put there lives on the line every day to serve the people. i would say that was pretty special
    Territt wrote:
    his a soldier of the british army, a group of people that put there lives on the line every day to serve the people. i would say that was pretty special

Surely no more special than the police officers and firefighters who put their lives on the line every day to serve the people? Because they wouldn't be allowed in either.

As has been said, their shop, their rules. I think the dress code is fairly pointless myself as I don't tend to have a panic attack whenever I see a uniform, but why allow soldiers to wear their uniform when others can't?
    as said before, if a shop was to ban Turban's because they made some of the customers feel uncomfortable then people would go mad over it, I don’t see what the different is?
    Territt wrote:
    as said before, if a shop was to ban Turban's because they made some of the customers feel uncomfortable then people would go mad over it, I don’t see what the different is?

Well I believe Harrod's argument is that seeing someone in uniform may cause distress, as they are associated with emergencies - and emergencies usually aren't that fun. I don't see why wearing a turban would cause anyone distress?
    LucieLu wrote:
    Well I believe Harrod's argument is that seeing someone in uniform may cause distress, as they are associated with emergencies - and emergencies usually aren't that fun. I don't see why wearing a turban would cause anyone distress?

well that would depend on the person's point of view, the point is that if you are ok to ban one of them, surely then its ok for other shops to ban the other?
    Harrods should at least be honest about the reasons the man was not allowed in. He wasn't refused entrance because he might cause alarm. He was refused entrance because Harrods has a 'we are posh cunts' door policy and doesn't want the likes tourists in shorts, teenagers with torn jeans or squaddies mingling with its very important clientelle.

That said, theHarrods is within its right to ban anyone it wants if it doesn't like the clothes they're wearing. And punters are also within their rights of not patronising the place again in response to this man being denied entrance.
    Aladdin wrote:
    That said, theHarrods is within its right to ban anyone it wants if it doesn't like the clothes they're wearing. And punters are also within their rights of not patronising the place again in response to this man being denied entrance.

:thumb: Absolutely. It being a free country Harrods can ban who they like. I can also use my freedom to say its an extremely stupid ruling and hope that not only the army, but police, fireservice, ambulance crew and any others in uniform boycott the shop.
    :thumb: Absolutely. It being a free country Harrods can ban who they like. I can also use my freedom to say its an extremely stupid ruling and hope that not only the army, but police, fireservice, ambulance crew and any others in uniform boycott the shop.

Exactly and exactly. I'm sure there are plenty of people that will boycott the shop and why not. It's their freedom as it is Harrod's to ban people.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Harrods should at least be honest about the reasons the man was not allowed in. He wasn't refused entrance because he might cause alarm. He was refused entrance because Harrods has a 'we are posh cunts' door policy and doesn't want the likes tourists in shorts, teenagers with torn jeans or squaddies mingling with its very important clientelle.

Of course he was barred entry because his attire wasn't in keeping with the store's image, but I don't see anything wrong with that. Mr Soldier Man wouldn't get into most nightclubs in full military regalia either, but I don't see anyone moaning about that.

Everyone gets refused entry if they don't wear nice enough clothes- the heiress in the leggings was another case in point, and I don't see anyone whining about her being denied entry.

Soldiers are nobody special, so what if they're in the army?
    Kermit wrote:
    Mr Soldier Man wouldn't get into most nightclubs in full military regalia either, but I don't see anyone moaning about that.

Soldiers are nobody special, so what if they're in the army?

most nightclubs do let soldiers in with uniform, i go out often with my friends from the army, navy and marines, all in uniform in london with no problems,

i really dont think you should keep saying soldiers are nothing special, i dont think its fair coming from a waste of space like you
    Territt wrote:
    i really dont think you should keep saying soldiers are nothing special, i dont think its fair coming from a waste of space like you

No need to get personal just because someone disagrees with you to be honest - I don't think Kermit is saying that soldiers are 'nothing special' as in any way inferior to other people, just that perhaps there should not be special rules for them.
    LucieLu wrote:
    No need to get personal just because someone disagrees with you to be honest - I don't think Kermit is saying that soldiers are 'nothing special' as in any way inferior to other people, just that perhaps there should not be special rules for them.

sorry, i really need mean to make it person, i just dont like people saying things bad about our armed forces, people just dont respect what these people do for us,

the point i was making is not that they should have special rules for them, just that they shouldnt be treated as second class, i mean i can see anyone sayying that the uniform isnt smart?
    Territt wrote:

Which people ?

I`m pretty certain I`m not one of them.
    seeker wrote:
    Which people ?

I`m pretty certain I`m not one of them.

well if your british then you
    Territt wrote:
    people just dont respect what these people do for us,

Could you help me understand what "these people" have done for ME ?
    Territt wrote:
    well if your british then you

How would I tell if I was "british" ?
    Territt wrote:
    Just a job, like anyone else. I would expect they'd refuse entry to a nurse in their uniform too, and they do as much to protect the public than any soldier.
    seeker wrote:
    Do you get forced to pay part of their wages? Yes? Then you're included. ;)
    seeker wrote:
    Could you help me understand what "these people" have done for ME ?

well the protection on the UK would a fine start on what they have done for you, running of the fire service when the fireman decide they dont want to work,

well do you have a british passport?
    Do you get forced to pay part of their wages? Yes? Then you're included. ;)

Precisely ;)

"Armed Forces" :lol::lol:

(Strike while the irony is hot)
    Territt wrote:
    the protection on the UK

:confused::confused:

I need an explanation there.
    Territt wrote:
    well do you have a british passport?

Do you mean that little book with a picture in, that potentially violent people insist someone must show to them if that someone has a desire to change their location ?
    I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o'beer,
    The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
    The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
    I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
    But it's ``Thank you, Mister Atkins,'' when the band begins to play,
    The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
    O it's ``Thank you, Mr. Atkins,'' when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
    They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
    They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
    But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
    But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
    The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
    O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
    An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
    Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy how's yer soul?"
    But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
    But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
    An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints:
    Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind,"
    But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind,
    There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
    O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires an' all:
    We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
    Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
    The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
    But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the guns begin to shoot;
    An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
    But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

- Rudyard Kipling
    "If all men count with you, but none too much" -RK ;)
    seeker wrote:
    "If all men count with you, but none too much" -RK ;)

Perhaps
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken/Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Is more relevant for your contributions seeker ;):p
    Idiots like seeker should be placed on their own fairy island where they can discuss to the death the meaning of words and abstract concepts. What he fails to acknowledge that although something isn't real in a physical concept, it can hold a "real" value.
    Territt wrote:
    sorry, i really need mean to make it person, i just dont like people saying things bad about our armed forces, people just dont respect what these people do for us,

What do they do for us?
    Blagsta wrote:
    What do they do for us?

Look at their actions in Northern Ireland for one, done everyone proud by shooting dead the fenians.
    Gawd bless 'em, guvnor.
    Blagsta wrote:
    What do they do for us?

Gulf War, Balkans conflicts, Afghanistan, Iraq War, Northern Ireland, Falkland Islands,

we could carry on forever