Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Removing Tonsils...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
About the same time every year, usually winter time, I get tonsilitis. I've been 'isolated' for the best part of 2 years (gap year, being bum at home etc) but I've now been back at college since september. Since then I've had coughs, colds, laryngitis and 2 weeks later, tonsilitis. My GP has recommended I get a blood cell count done in case my immune system's low (which it must be).

The doc I saw this morning recommended I didn't have my tonsils removed and that the tonsilitis will eventually occur less and less.
I'm so sick and tired of getting tonsilitis every year, that I actually want them removed.

Has anyone had their tonsils out? and if so, how bad was it really?

Comments

• Options
    My brother, who is 24 had them removed several months ago and a co-worker, who is 27, had them removed last wednesday. Both of them said it was not bad at all. A bit sore for about a week. Can't eat solid foods and citrus and red foods are to be avoided. The coworker was back at work on monday. He was just fine (with his bottle of tylenol w/ codene :p ) My brother had called me just a few days after. It seemed to be quite a simple and easy process. Not bad at all.
  • Options
    I had them removed like 4 years ago? I was 14.

It hurt quite a lot afterwards, but not TOO bad really. The worst thing was being sick all night from the anasthetic.

However, it sorta got infected, because all I could eat was tuna sandwiches :p and I started getting REALLY rank flavours in my mouth. It soon settled though.

I flew to amsterdam a week later, and I was fine by that time.

I still get a lot of sore throats though, so it hasn't made THAT much of a difference.
  • Options
    they dont like doing them, but if its really messing up your life then they might. hassle them. mention increased risk of antibiotic resistance etc. or go private.
  • Options
    They try not to do it unless it's abolutely necessary. The risk of infection and complications has to be massively outweighed by the impact on your life. No tonsils isn't going to have a massive effect on colds or sore throsts, purely on tonsillitus. It takes most otherwise fully fit and healthy people about a fortnight to kick the full affects of the anaesthetic out of their system.
  • Options
    ^_^ wrote:
    I still get a lot of sore throats though, so it hasn't made THAT much of a difference.

Aye, my mum had her tonsils out as a kid, and still gets what her doc calls 'tonsilitis-like' infections fairly often. Apparently it's the remaining tonsil bed getting infected.

Niiiice :thumb:
  • Options
    They try not to do it unless it's abolutely necessary. The risk of infection and complications has to be massively outweighed by the impact on your life. No tonsils isn't going to have a massive effect on colds or sore throsts, purely on tonsillitus. It takes most otherwise fully fit and healthy people about a fortnight to kick the full affects of the anaesthetic out of their system.

According to several websites:
    Specific complications of tonsillectomy are rare but include those below.

Bleeding that starts within the first 24 hours after the operation. It may be necessary to be taken back to the operating theatre to have the bleeding stopped.1,2,3
    Bleeding four to seven days after the operation. This is called a secondary haemorrhage and can be the result of an infection. If this happens you should contact the hospital immediately.3
    There is a very small risk of accidental damage to the teeth or jaw, caused by the instruments used to keep the mouth open during surgery.1,2,3
    If bits of blood and tissue from the operation get into the throat and down into the lungs it can cause a chest infection and breathing problems. If this happens, oxygen and antibiotics will be given.1
    http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/tonsillectomy.html

I chose this one, but there are many other articles that state the same thing. The risks greatly are determined by what method is used to remove the tonsils. There are two ways of removing them that do have higher risks of bleeding but those are avoided, after 2002.

I do not understand these comments of the doctors don't like doing them or trying to avoid getting it done. Yes, avoiding any surgery is usually the first step, but in Illora's case, the poor girl suffers every single year. Why in the world would you try to avoid it? The risks are very minimal and the procedure is easy, quick and the recovery time is very quick. How do those risks outweigh the pain she suffers? Especially if the doctor is even reccomending it!
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Especially if the doctor is even reccomending it!

Do learn to read. It says the doctor doesn't recommend it. There are risks and it doesn't offer a guarenteed solution. They are still offered to patients who get recurrent tonsillitus and nothing else, because of the high success rate, but for those who have other similar problems as well it's usually deemed not worth it.

I'm fairly sure you're from USA so bear in mind things are slightly different in UK.
  • Options
    Do learn to read. I

Gee forgive me for misreading... or I guess not reading at all because I never learned.
  • Options
    Doctors tend to count tonsilitis as recurrent if it reoccurs around 3 times a year. My tonsils are permanently enlarged, not enough to be a severe problem but they don't help my breathing problems one bit either. This may well be something that you'll have to go private on if hassling them doesn't work.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I do not understand these comments of the doctors don't like doing them or trying to avoid getting it done. Yes, avoiding any surgery is usually the first step, but in Illora's case, the poor girl suffers every single year. Why in the world would you try to avoid it? The risks are very minimal and the procedure is easy, quick and the recovery time is very quick. How do those risks outweigh the pain she suffers? Especially if the doctor is even reccomending it!

You missed the anaesthetic risks, which is another reason why they don't like doing it anymore.

TBH many ENT surgeons will point out that most people grow out of it. Yes it's annoying and frustrating, but surgery isn't an easy solution at all.
  • Options
    A word of warning, I knew a girl who had them taken out but they grew back!
  • Options

Has anyone had their tonsils out? and if so, how bad was it really?

Had then removed and was no big deal, they give you ice cream .. it's all good.

Then you get less infections, colds, etc thereafter 0 at that's what happened in my case .. of course I weren't old like yourself .. :thumb:
  • Options
    they give you ice cream

Not any more (or at least they shouldn't) it was shown to help cause infections...
  • Options
    I've had my tonsils removed.

But I still get more throat problems than anyone else I know. So tbh, it hasn't helped me in the slightest.
  • Options
    my boyfriend has had tonsilitis 3 times this year and the doctor told him that they only tend to take them out in adults if you have it something like 5 times in one year.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    Aye, my mum had her tonsils out as a kid, and still gets what her doc calls 'tonsilitis-like' infections fairly often. Apparently it's the remaining tonsil bed getting infected.

Niiiice :thumb:
    Me too :yes: