Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job illness whats the best to go for?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a job aand am not excactly liking it at the minute. Whilst i enjoy the job the hours are shit and generally i am bringing work home with me at the minute not to mention im not doing great at it.

Well i quit my business to do this and i think i might have made a mistake now i think i want to quit but don't know what to do, i have not signed any contracts so technically if i quit i would get away with doing no notice but then they could decide not to pay me for the 2 weeks i have worked.

My questions is what illness can i come up with to quit that will last me until two weeks thursday when i get paid. I am not bothered that they will not pay me for the rest of the month as i could quite easily get some other work i think. Just need to try and save that 2 weeks pay
thanks
harold

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends on your company sick pay policy.

Where I work (which is quite generous!), you need a Med3 (doctors note) to get paid for more than a week's sickness. You can self-certify for the first week. There is also a length of service requirement - if you've been there less that six months you get no company sick pay and only SSP which is peanuts.

Point is, you more than likely won't get paid for two week's sickness without a Med3 and you won't get one of those without a genuine illness and a trip to the doctors.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    i have not signed any contracts so technically if i quit i would get away with doing no notice but then they could decide not to pay me for the 2 weeks i have worked.

I think you'll find they would have to pay you.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Faking an illness is lame. Be a man and go see the HR person and say you want to quit. Mostly with a new job you would be on probation anyway and would have little or no notice period.

If you did "have an illness" then, as Crystal mentioned, with most jobs you need a doctor's note to be off for more than 5 days, and either way it'd look a bit rubbish coming to your next job after skanking this one.