Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

More College Problems.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
You may or may not have read in some past posts that I have several health issues; one being Coccydynia (from a car crash), another being Psoriasis and the other being Joint Hypermobility Syndrome.

I'm at college studying makeup artistry...

During the first month of my course I had no problems joining in (having face cleansed, toned, moisturised and then covered in makeup!) but 4 weeks into the course my skin (psoriasis) had had enough and my doctor withdrew me from having my face cleansed/made up in college indefinitely.
The first thing my tutor said to me was 'well, that's not really fair on everyone else if you can't have your face done'. My initial reaction to that comment: :eek2:

Several weeks passed....

Recently I've been having a lot of problems with my joints - the weather being so horrible hasn't helped and I've been wearing a wrist brace for some support.
I'm having to carry a loaded suitcase to college everyday and up 2 flights of stairs. At home, I can barely lift a kettle without dropping it.
So, I ask my tutor if she can organise it for me to have a key for the college lift and what do I get "well, that's not exactly fair on everyone else..." :eek2:

Am I going mad? I have a severe skin complaint and severe joint problems, yet it's not fair for EVERYONE ELSE?
Your opinions would be much appreciated... x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well straight away I can tell you your tutor is out of their mind.

I have two makeup qualifications now, my basic beauty one, and a photographic one. While they're not the same, or as detailed as your course obviously, I know for one thing that putting makeup on a face with psoriasis is utterly ridiculous. I would just ignore it and try to work in a three when practising as much as possible - that way, you can all practise, but with their being two faces already you don't need to use your own.

As for the HMS thing, I feel your pain. I also suffer from it, and winter is the worst time for it - I'm in agony sometimes. Unfortunetly, colleges do not seem to cater for it - I was failed on an assessment because I couldn't stand in the correct stance for the movements, due to the pain. I don't really know what to say for that, but possibly go to your head of faculty and ask them? They may be more understanding as your tutor seems to feel you're asking for special treatment - which obviously you can't help, as they're both medical conditions.
    :) You must be the first person (other than my mum!) who seems to understand! It's totally refreshing and I'd hug you if I could!!

I was just totally dumbfounded when she suggested they 'work around' my psoriasis, when she'd be teaching us about contra-indications the week before. I had a doctor's note, yet she doesn't seem to accept it as a genuine medical problem! She's a makeup artist, you'd think she'd be slightly understanding.

I'm just so fed up of hearing about what's not fair for everyone else - I'm paying to be on the course and I'm not there to worry about other student's feelings. I've had gip off loads of girls on my course because I'm withdrawn from having any treatments done on my face and they don't like it. I was even asked to get stuff out of the girls cars because I wasn't having a treatment done!

If I was registered disabled, would I still be discriminated against, or is it because they can't see my condition that it doesn't exist??
    Tbh, it's because you can't have the treatment, and some people will make this a drama. I fell down some stairs a few weeks back, and the bottom of my back was all black and blue the next morning. Needless to say, I didn't fancy a back massage, but I had to fight to a point of walking out of the room and going to help a friend cleaning. They're also tyring to get me to have electrolysis (though they've started to give up on it now) even htough they "aren't sure" if I'm contra-indicated. I mean :eek2: what the hell?

Is there anyone on the course who even slightly understands? If so, as clingy as it sounds, I would stick to them for a while, try and make a three like I said, especially if there's an odd number in the class.

If the tutor continues to single you out and make you feel a nuisance then I would see your head of department, because that is unfair - and totally unprofessional.
    Register as disabled then. These sound like they last for more than a year, so self declare under the disability discrimination act. Apart from anything else it'll force your tutor to sort her act out.

Your college must have someone responsible for inclusion/welfare/learning support/DDA, you need to track down who they are and talk to them. Try and work with them, I can't have treatments done on my face, can we use a plastic model, can I work in a three (working my round other pairs so no other pair is more disadvantaged), can I leave my stuff somewhere secure so I don't have to carry it up, or can I have the key, or access to it, or know who to ask to borrow it when needed. You'll need to offer them doctors letters, with details of what you can and can't do, rather than just the 'X can receive facial treatments for medical reason, signed GP'.
    I've got a fabulous group of friends in my class and they're not even bothered by the fact I can't join in and that we have to work in threes. It's often more fun. It's the tutor who finds it a problem because she has to work the class into threes and it's an effort for her.

It's the 'other girls' - the younger girls that seem to have a problem with it. Which, doesn't help when my tutor just sits there letting them lay into me one after the other about it. :impissed:

I'm just really at the end of my tether now. I'm going to college tomorrow having to wear trainers because I've just had orthotics fitted because I've got flat feet - Another medical problem she'll no doubt try to write off.

I feel I'm at the point where I'm going to have to formally complain about how I feel she's being totally unprofessional and discriminative.
    I had a feeling that I'd have to at some point quote the disability discrimination act, but I'm dreading it tbh. There comes a point when I just wanna get my head down and study what I enjoy. :no:
    To be honest, when other girls get at you, you have to let it slide and just ignore them. They're doing it to make themselves feel clever whereas the tutor wont feel the need to do anything because, like everyone always points out as a positive for most things - It's not high school. And as much as the freedom of college is amazing, the tutors reaction to things like that is shit, I know.

Do you know who the next person in line is above your tutor, maybe speak t them before having a formal complaint given.

As for the trainers, although I'm sure it's not what you want to hear but you're likely to get a hell of a lot of grief for it, and be ready to be sent home - worst case scenario, but possible (I'm assuming you have a uniform here though)
    1. Orthotics aren't going to get out of your life in a hurrry, and you can find shoes that fit the bill for pretty much anything that you're expected to wear if you look hard enough. Short term trainers will have to do, but long term you can (and will need to for the rest of life), fix that one.

2. Before you complain, go back to her, and tell her you'rer still not happy, explain the problems you are having, tell her you feel the younger girls are picking on you. You flick between seemingly whining to claiming your the mature student. As a mature student you will probably have to work harder to get any support as it'll be assumed you can look after yourself.

3. You don't need to quote DDA, you simply need to declare (makes it easier for them to accomodate special requirements) and get the support from the right people.

If I sound harsh I don't mean to, just being to the point about it.
    I've been told by my podiatrist to wear my trainers because she's fitted them with temporary insoles. I'm having permanent orthotics made in feb, so these are to get my feet accustomed to the arch support. I can't wear the insoles in my college boots because they're not lace ups and I must wear supportive footwear aka Trainers. Anyway, she can argue with me on that, I don't care tbh.
    Is there anyone you can complain to about this? I think comments like 'it'll be unfair on everyone' are a bit stupid, tbh, because it's not just a case of 'I don't want that done to my face because I just don't want to.' Can't you get a doctors note or something to say that you've been told you can't do a certain thing? Your tutor might be more likely to listen then.
    Are your college boots safety boots? I really can't think why they would be but that's what boots link to in my mind. If they are then you're stuffed, you'll have to wear them or find another pair of safety shoes you can get your orthotics into. If that's the case sing out and I can point you to some nice ones.

Supportive footwear doesn't have to be trainers, and I hope you're always lacing your trainers up properly each time you put them on and undoing the laces when you take them off otherwise they won't be supportive for much longer.

Go the doctors note line (pod too) but ask for a specific one that gives the details and explains why, at college level for professional courses that is what's usually needed for special treatment.

Perhaps the best course of action would be to arrange a time to meet with your tutor and the course leader to come up with an agreement on how to make it work to everyone's satisfaction.
    Are your college boots safety boots?

I can't speak for Ilora obviously, but as I'm assuming her college course is run in a "beauty" department, due to the makeup aspect, she'll likey be wearing some sort of uniform, if not a full beauty tunic etc. I know the people with specific courses (artificial nails, make up courses) at my college do.

So they won't be safety boots, but trainers are strongly frowned on because the aim is for the students to look professional at all times, and there have been times girls at my college have been sent home for not having the correct footwear. It's also a health and safety aspect unfortunetly, though I personally can't see how trainers violate it. It may just be that they don't match her uniform, as I wore my black trainers last year for a few lessons and they either didn't notice or it's the colour that bothers them

Feel free to correctme Ilora obviously, I am just guessing! :)
    Well I didn't think so, but it's worth checking. I can see why we have to wear them, if I drop one of our tools on my foot I'd do it some damage, but I'd think most pairs of shoes would protect you from scissors.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I can't speak for Ilora obviously, but as I'm assuming her college course is run in a "beauty" department, due to the makeup aspect, she'll likey be wearing some sort of uniform, if not a full beauty tunic etc. I know the people with specific courses (artificial nails, make up courses) at my college do.

So they won't be safety boots, but trainers are strongly frowned on because the aim is for the students to look professional at all times, and there have been times girls at my college have been sent home for not having the correct footwear. It's also a health and safety aspect unfortunetly, though I personally can't see how trainers violate it. It may just be that they don't match her uniform, as I wore my black trainers last year for a few lessons and they either didn't notice or it's the colour that bothers them

Feel free to correctme Ilora obviously, I am just guessing! :)
    Nope, you're spot on. I have to wear smart black clothes and tabbbard with closed toed flat black shoes, but because I can't keep ballet pumps on my feet I wear flat black knee high boots (which aren't suitable for temp insoles).

I wore my trainers today and I don't think she noticed! (It's kinda hard to not notice though because they're bright white lol).

Anyway, she spoke to me today saying she's trying to sort out a key for the lift. Perhaps she's taken some notice this time? Fingers crossed.
    Hopefully - fingers crossed for you. I nearly screamed at my department today so I know how you're feeling.

Have they said anymore about your psoriasis?
    Nope, I gave her the first doctor's note (which didn't have an end date on it) and a few weeks later she asked for another one stating how long it lasts for (which is indefinitely, which she knows) - I think she's just being difficult for the sake of it tbh, wanting another sick note. My GP's awesome though so it's not a problem!
    The Psoriasis isn't much of an issue now it seems - I think the girls have realised that working in threes is now a permanent situation that they just have to deal with.
    She may well know it, but if she's rejigging the system for you she may well need the doctors letters for her records.

It sounds like she's trying her best at times, don't be too hard on her.
    Hopefully she has - she sounds unbelievably unprofessional!! If she starts at you again just give as good as you get, and then go to the person above her, which should then make her feel like she has been making you feel.