Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Good luck Holland

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I will support England because Iam English, but I would object to being associated with "fans" who have abused the likes of the Neville brothers and Beckham whilst they we wearing the three lions, on the basis that they are United players.
    :yes:
  • Options
    I will support England because Iam English, but I would object to being associated with "fans" who have abused the likes of the Neville brothers and Beckham whilst they we wearing the three lions, on the basis that they are United players.
    Yeah, and I'd object to being associated with "fans" who booed Peter Crouch and Owen Hargreaves when they came on too. It's not exclusive to Utd players you know.
  • Options
    There is a difference bwteen being booed because they are seen as not performing than because of which club they play for. Beckham faced abuse about his wife and children even on those occasions where he played relaly well.

That said, I'd agree with the sentiment.
  • Options
    1-1 in the end...

Pretty shit game, when are England ever going to be able to play like a true World Class side?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It was pretty terrible entertainment wise.

Coupe of things to be happy about though. Richards and both Coles were excellent. Shit goal we conceded though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    So what came first: Man U fans signing anti-England songs at Premiership games or England fans signing anti Man U songs/abusing Man U players at international games?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I don't hold anything against any England player simply because of the club they play for, yet I get reffered to as an small town inbred wanker for supporting England. Fucking lovely that is.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What was the fucking point in that?

Be as well just getting the squad together for a training camp for a few days, I'd have been massively pissed off if I paid good money to watch that shit.

Holland clearly couldn't be arsed, so why even bother?
  • Options
    Playing a match is always better than spending a weekend doing drills.
  • Options
    Thought it was a pretty dire game, saying that though in stages England actually looked like a good side which I haven't seen in a long while.

Andy Johnson was poor but that was because of where he was playing, I don't understand it. He doesn't know how to play as a winger because hes an out and out striker, you could tell with his movement off the ball when attacking and defending he didn't really know what to do and wasn't able to get in any positions that earned him a call-up and a starting place in the team.

We'd all like to see Rooney in the middle but not in a 4-3-3 for me, he drops deep which is where he is at his most dangerous but in a 4-3-3 that leaves no-one leading the front line. IF we play 4-3-3 Rooney has to be used as one of the wingers and given a bit of a license to roam. We looked a lot better when Johnson went through the middle and Rooney and Cole were the wingers, and this is when I saw some good football which is an unusual sight when watching England.

Last 3 games we've had 3 different formations, its nice to be versatile but we need a system that we'll play the majority of the time that works and gets us through the qualifying for the Euro's.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    So what came first: Man U fans signing anti-England songs at Premiership games or England fans signing anti Man U songs/abusing Man U players at international games?

It was Englands fans who started it, this has only been a problem last 15 years or so, up until Italia 90 a big group of United fans followed England home and away.

I blame the advent of the Premiership, a load of johnny come latelys jumping on the ABU bandwagon. I probably shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush, but thats life.
  • Options
    Similar sort of thing happened in Northern Ireland where fans would chant anti-Celtic songs and sing chants with sectarian undertones.

Of course, this drove away many Catholic fans but steps have been taken to eradicate it and you don't hear any sectarian chants now, and they've all been replaced by proper (funny) chants that support the team. And for the first time in ages the team are playing well again and alot of Catholics in Northern Ireland are happy to see Northern Ireland do well.
  • Options
    Even as a Wales fan i have to say the original posters comments are ridiculous. Of course its probably more likely that Cardiff City will get anywhere major in the near future but i still like to see Wales doing well and try to watch the games when i can. Went to Wales v Brazil too. That was fun.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    International football is for the small town inbreds who never get a chance to see top class football.

And you wonder why the whole of the Football League despises Manchester United?

There's nothing like justifying a stereotype, is there?

So much for the "real football" values that FC United try to claim :rolleyes:

Ronaldo gets stick because he's a cheating cunt who would benefit immensely from a severe Keane-style booting. People despised him long before he cheated against England- he was hated in his Sporting days, too. That's because he makes Robert Pires look like a saint.

Old Trafford was full of Manchester United scum booing Crouch because of who he played for, so its a bit rich to see the red filth climbing on the moral high horse. For the record, I'll cheer on anyone in the England shirt, even if I think that my cat could do a better job (witness Richardson).

As for the game, well, it proves yet again that McLaren should get his P45 with immediate effect. The goal conceded was a disgrace, but it goes to show just how lazy Carrick and Lampard are. All Lampard shows for England is how good Makelele and Essien are.
  • Options
    I missed the first half, but from the end of match interview, I hope we were fucking world beaters because we did fuck all in the second half. Holland were there for the taking, and we created about 3 chances in the half, sat back, desperately trying to cling on to our 1-0 lead. It's a friendly for fuck sake, have a bit of adventure. I don't see what's changed since Sven tbh.

Anyway, my analysis. Andy Johnson and Wayne Rooney should've switched roles. Johnson is far better in the middle, and Wayne Rooney and Joe Cole are excellent at floating around behind him. And since Holland were content to stroll around, the full backs should've pushed forward and provided the width (well either that or play 4-4-2 with Gerrard on the right Cole on the left, and see if the strike partnership would actually work, but that's far too complicated, obviously). But generally, the only time I saw us play half decent was after the goal. Oh and we also need to sort out our defending of set pieces, because that goal was shocking.

On the positive, Micah Richards was excellent against arguably the best left winger around, (admittedly only he turned up for Holland) and he showed what he can do when he went forward. Can definitely be the long term successor to Gary Neville if he keeps going as he is.

And on a personal note, it was nice to see two Man City academy products on the pitch by the end of the game. It's a long time since we've been able to say that. I hope they'll be the first of many.