Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Council to ban cigarette breaks

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course I stop working when I go for a pee. As for making tea (which I don't do; but other members of staff do) they go into the kitchen, put the kettle on come back and do other stuff then when the kettle has boiled, finish making the tea.

Thw thing is, I work with children so I can't exactly take breaks when it pleases me and am not really meant to go out of the room. (unless asked to get something from another room)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Of course I stop working when I go for a pee. As for making tea (which I don't do; but other members of staff do) they go into the kitchen, put the kettle on come back and do other stuff then when the kettle has boiled, finish making the tea.

Thw thing is, I work with children so I can't exactly take breaks when it pleases me and am not really meant to go out of the room. (unless asked to get something from another room)
    there you go then

u dont go to work to pee, or put the kettle on....

just like according to you, you dont go to smoke

not every1 works with kids, some people CAN leave the office/job for 5 minutes and not be missed....
  • Options
    Most people at my work smoke, and I'm buggered if they are getting more breaks than me just for smoking. This is why I started drinking tea. You get far more breaks if you drink tea :D
  • Options
  • Options
    My immediate boss used to have to remind me to take a break because I don't drink tea or coffee, and I don't smoke. I just pause to have some water from a bottle every now and again. So I'd work my way from start to finish on a job without stopping to roll a fag or to make a brew. Unless Ted realised I'd been working for an hour or two without sitting down and he'd tell me to sit for five or ten minutes.
  • Options
    I smoke and i've never had a job where we were allowed ciggy breaks. Coffee breaks morning and afternoon and a lunch break just like everyone else and we had a ciggy then, and i thinks that's adequate.
  • Options
    I think as long as you have a reasonable break time session then not allowing people extra breaks to go out for a smoke is reasonable.

Everyone pops to the loo and for a drink, but smokers will do that AND go for a ciggy.

I used my morning break at the office to go for a cookie and a natter, the guy I worked opposite used his to go for a smoke. Other times we just nipped to the drinks machine down the corridoor.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Idiotic. A bunch of folk carving nicotine won't be working to well thinking "I want a fag ffs".

Other people have coffee breaks, stand by the water cooler and chat breaks, grab a snack breaks...

I understnad if thre is someone going out every 10 minutes for a fag, but then just take action against that one person, eh?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    My immediate boss used to have to remind me to take a break because I don't drink tea or coffee, and I don't smoke. I just pause to have some water from a bottle every now and again. So I'd work my way from start to finish on a job without stopping to roll a fag or to make a brew. Unless Ted realised I'd been working for an hour or two without sitting down and he'd tell me to sit for five or ten minutes.

Sitting and working like that for ages is a really easy way to knacker your back and arms, for the sake of your health I'd take up smoking if I were you.
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Did any one see The Wright Stuff this morning? They discussed this and came to the some conclusions though nothing good. Basically Wright said that either the smokers should be made to work the time they miss by taking 10 mins to have a fag break, which comes to about 20 hours a month. As in they work extra hours for free until they have worked the hours in full they are actually paid for OR the alternative he offered was giving the non-smokers friday afternoons off so they get the same time off.

Not that practical, but his suggestion as a former smoker!
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    you go to work to work, not drink tea

Except an employer cannot deny you the right to liquid refreshment.
    you go there to natter, not go the toilet

Can't you see the difference bwteen that and smoking?
    you go there to work, not send a snide text....

The fact that you refer to it as "snide" really answers that one. BTW in some places using the e-mail for personal reasons is a disciplinary offence.
  • Options
    Except an employer cannot deny you the right to liquid refreshment.

Can't you see the difference bwteen that and smoking?
    thing is though its usually a tea BREAK, not just make a cup of tea, dont speak to anyone, sit down and drink it

yes going the toilet is a necessity, but so is having a fag for someone who is addicted to smoking....
  • Options
    Christ, MoK I'm glad I don't work for you.

I'm not that bad and I don't actually object in reality, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here...
    Do you allow people to talk or go for a coffee or spend five minutes trying to arrange a gas check on their house.

Like I said, wouldn't smokers do that in addition?

Question here is how much aids the workplace and how much is time away from work. I have always worked on the basis that smokers can have as many breaks as they like but I expect them to be reasonable and I would pick someone up on it, if I felt that they were taking the piss. I'd would also expect a conscientious employee to take the smoking break out of their lunch break (or not stop for coffee as often) for example - why should the non-smoker be penalised and - as a health organisation - aren't we sending the wrong health message here?
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    so is having a fag for someone who is addicted to smoking....

Not it isn't, otherwise how would I last bewteen 8am and lunchtime, or lunchtime and the end of the working day?

I would not expect any member of my staff to do something which I would not do myself.
  • Options
    ok MOK, do you disagree that workers will be less productive if they cant have a quick smoke?
  • Options
    Not it isn't, otherwise how would I last bewteen 8am and lunchtime, or lunchtime and the end of the working day?

I would not expect any member of my staff to do something which I would not do myself.
    different lelvels of addiction my friend....
  • Options
    No, different priorities. Amazing how people can go for a nine hour flight, but not a four hours between breaks... ;)
    littleali wrote:
    do you disagree that workers will be less productive if they cant have a quick smoke?

Yes. Otherwise the most productive workers would all be smokers.

ETA Smokers are statistically less effective because of the associated health problems.
  • Options
    Yes. Otherwise the most productive workers would all be smokers.
    how do you work that one out?

if someone`s never smoked, they wont crave a cigarette

having a fag obviously doesnt increase brain power, but it does allow someone to give full attention to their work, rather than be sat there thinking about having a smoke
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    how do you work that one out?

You asked if workers will be more productive if they can go for a smoke. I disagree because the majoity don't smoker. You are effectively suggesting that non smkoers aren't as productive because they don't have the drive to find time for a drag.
    it does allow someone to give full attention to their work, rather than be sat there thinking about having a smoke

TBH I'd rather that work was at the forefront of their mind in the first place ;)
  • Options
    I love it when we have a thread like this, where people get quite wound up.

Personally, I don't smoke and I never used to see the problem with people nipping out for a fag every now and again and used to actively stick up for them at work. However, now I've been in the working world a lot longer, I can understand and fully agree with those people that think that people should not be allowed extra breaks to smoke.

As MOK says, people are there to work. Tea, coffee, smoking, toilet, whatever should all be done during break time. If that isn't adequate time then people should negotiate extra breaks and a reduced wage in order to fit in their extra activities!!!

And yes I am just bitter and twisted cos I'm a teacher and therefore I can only take breaks at allocated times and spend half my day explaining to children why they can't go to the toilet during lesson time!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:
    yes going the toilet is a necessity, but so is having a fag for someone who is addicted to smoking....
    So is alcohol for an alcoholic by that theory .....
  • Options
    I don't think smoking should be banned from the grounds, but I do think that smokers who skive off to have a tab should have to work the extra time back. If you take smoking breaks you have to stay until half five every night to make up the lost time- that will very quickly make people re-assess just how important a tab is to them.

Smokers don't go and have a cigarette instead of having a wee and getting a coffee, they do it in addition to it. Most people in offices take at least five minutes to get in and out, plus the smoking time. Most people in offices do not have isolated caseloads, which means that the smokers are free-loading on the work of those who don't smoke.

If I went out to the Tesco in my office block for a bar of chocolate I would take the same time as a smoker, but my boss would be unhappy. So I don't see why smokers (who account for a small minority of people) should get preferential treatment.
  • Options
    It's more divide and rule bollocks innit.

"They have more time off than we do, stop them, it's not fair!"

*stamps feet*

Hey, here's an idea - how about everyone gets more breaks. It's a crayazeee idea but it might just work...
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think smoking should be banned from the grounds, but I do think that smokers who skive off to have a tab should have to work the extra time back. If you take smoking breaks you have to stay until half five every night to make up the lost time- that will very quickly make people re-assess just how important a tab is to them.

Smokers don't go and have a cigarette instead of having a wee and getting a coffee, they do it in addition to it. Most people in offices take at least five minutes to get in and out, plus the smoking time. Most people in offices do not have isolated caseloads, which means that the smokers are free-loading on the work of those who don't smoke.

If I went out to the Tesco in my office block for a bar of chocolate I would take the same time as a smoker, but my boss would be unhappy. So I don't see why smokers (who account for a small minority of people) should get preferential treatment.

After reading this thread and thinking a bit more I have changed my mind a bit. I pretty much agree with Kermit I think.
    Personally... I do smoke at work, but I dont drink tea or coffee, i might spend 30 seconds getting a glass of water or something, then I carry on. I dont take more than 15-20 mins for lunch, I just eat and carry on cos there is fuck all else to do in the area.
    So I think its fair enough that I smoke at work! and in this case banning it would be bang out of order.
    But if your taking all your breaks, taking time to have a coffee, AND smoking your taking time that other people arnt getting.
  • Options
    It's not divide and rule bollocks at all, its about people doing the work that they are paid to do instead of fucking about.

If they want to smoke, they can do it on their time, not the taxpayer's.

I wouldn't ban smoking from the grounds, and I wouldn't ban smoking on unpaid breaks, but I don't see why they should get paid for skiving off for over 30 minutes each day. And I certainly don't see why councils should be condoning such blatant wastage of council tax.
  • Options
    No Kermit, its divide and rule. What's wrong with everyone getting more breaks? Is work and the bosses bank balance so important to you?
  • Options
    Oh and Kermy, if you think that its got anything to do with council tax, you're barmy.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No Kermit, its divide and rule. What's wrong with everyone getting more breaks? Is work and the bosses bank balance so important to you?

Less work gets done and some people may have to work the extra hours to get it done.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Less work gets done and some people may have to work the extra hours to get it done.

Not if everyone got extra breaks.