Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

account number

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend owes me some money, but he lives far away and I don't see him often. He said that if I give him my account number (which i presume is the shorter number appearing on my debit card and also on my statements) then he can go into my bank and put the money into my account for me. I just want to make sure is this true? Does this also mean that he will be able to take money out of my account with that information, or is prove of id needed? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    The easiest option is (if you have phone or internet banking) to give your friend your account number and sort code and then they can do an electronic transfer. I suppose your friend could then set up DD's on your account, so obviously if you have no trust in them dont do this.
  • Options
    I should imagine he'd need other details too such as your sort code. At least thats how it works at my bank (Barclays). I doubt he'd be able to withdraw money from your account using only the number without ID or the actual card. He also won't be able to use it online without the security code on the back strip. Sounds safe to me, but if it's worrying you why not ask him to send you a cheque or postal order through the mail?
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    He also won't be able to use it online without the security code on the back strip.

He wouldnt be able to use it anywhere because you would need all the numbers from the switch card, where as the account number is only 8 numbers.
  • Options
    Your account number is indeed the shorter number on your card, and he can indeed transfer money to you like that. I do it quite a lot. You need more info that just the account number to withdraw money.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to just posting a cheque?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Whatever happened to just posting a cheque?

It takes longer, and you have to go to the bank to put it in. Where as with the money transfer you can do it over the phone and the money goes through electronically within about three days.
  • Options
    The account number is not always on the card, short number or any other number. HSBC bank cards PAN numbers used to be 6759 - xxxxxx oooooooo Where the xs were the sort code and the os were the account number, but dunno if they still are, other banks don't even put the ac number on at all, I know mine doesn't.

Best place to get it would be your statement or cheque book.

And he'd need the sort code, too.
  • Options
    He shouldn't be able to withdraw money or create a standing order on your account as his signature would not match the signature the bank hold for you.

The long number on debit cards doesn't necessarily tie in with your account number anymore, but I know that on my Visa Electron the account number and sort code is printed in small numbers at the foot of the card.
  • Options
    Giving him your account number and sort code is low risk and this info on it's own is not enough to do anything fraudelently... and this is a perfectly normal way of people exchanging money, I receive and send money this way by making one off payments on-line with my bank to and from accounts with just the account number and the sort code. But the most secure way, and to keep piece of mind, is to wait until you see him then get cash...
  • Options
    There's always paypal, but that has transaction charges.

You're safe if you give him your bank number and sort code I reckon.

If you don't feel comfortable just ask him to send you a cheque :thumb:
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    It takes longer, and you have to go to the bank to put it in. Where as with the money transfer you can do it over the phone and the money goes through electronically within about three days.
    It solves any problems about not wanting to hand over your bank details, even though you should be fine.
  • Options
    which i presume is the shorter number appearing on my debit card and also on my statements.

You presume right. :thumb:
  • Options
    why would you lend someone money that you clearly don't trust?!
  • Options
    cheers for the advice guys, that seems to be the safest way to go then!
  • Options
    It has your account number and sort code on cheques anyway so if you would give them a cheque then giving them this info separately is no different.