Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Income support & incapacity benefit checking process.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there,

(A newbie to the board! :) )

I've applied for income support and incapacity benefit due to ill health, however for simple reasons I did not receive a P45, although the job centre took 8 months worth of bank statements from me so I could prove I have not had any income since I last worked.

I didn't take a black pen and scribble things out, I edited certain transactions out that I did not want to be visible before printing the statements (no questions asked, but leave it at an obscene number of online transactions...), however the monthly totals were not altered, and I just balanced the books so to speak by changing the values of other transactions...

They appear to be taking a close look at the bank statements though because there are a couple of large transactions (anywhere between £2,000-£18,000) occuring, which they're interested in.

My questions are, would it bother them that I've altered a few transactions although it doesn't change the monthly balance drastically. Secondly, do they even have access to my original bank statements to find out if they have even been altered, and if they do then why on earth do they ask for X number of bank statements if they can pull them up on screen?

Thanks very much!
Dancy.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have started using credit card for everything now for this very same reason as it gives me much greater privacy as unlike the debit card it doesn't show up the individual transactions on the current account statements.

Not sure the exact answer to your original question but they are looking at your income not your expenditure as what you chose to spend your money on is none of their business.

I find it really horrible that someone gets to read such private details of my life which is why I avoid paying by debit card as much as possible but like you I didn't realise this before I first started claiming.

Good luck :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru