Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drugs Legislation

2»

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Don't you think that legalising drugs will mean a lot more people will have access to them

No. If I wanted to and had enough money to burn I could go out now and probably pick up cannabis, ecstasy, phet, coke and crack by the end of day. The problem is so could my mates 14 year old brother.

With a black market there are no controls.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    No. If I wanted to and had enough money to burn I could go out now and probably pick up cannabis, ecstasy, phet, coke and crack by the end of day. The problem is so could my mates 14 year old brother.

With a black market there are no controls.

I understand that drugs aren't necessarily hard to get hold of, and that in some cases it's very easy to do so. Still, I think it naive to assume that everyone has such easy access. I reckon it’d be pretty hard to argue that legalising drugs wouldn’t mean a lot more people would have access to, and also would try, drugs.

I’m not even necessarily sure that would be a bad thing on the whole, I just reckon that there would be considerably more people becoming addicted to addictive drugs.
  • Options
    I understand that drugs aren't necessarily hard to get hold of, and that in some cases it's very easy to do so. Still, I think it naive to assume that everyone has such easy access. I reckon it’d be pretty hard to argue that legalising drugs wouldn’t mean a lot more people would have access to, and also would try, drugs.

The point is that there would be less access for those who really shouldn't be taking drugs i.e kids.

From my point of view more access to drugs would be a good thing. As an informed adult, I think I have every right to decide what substance I choose to consume. I think they should be available to all informed adults.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    The point is that there would be less access for those who really shouldn't be taking drugs i.e kids.

I don't think you can assume that. Kiddies still get access to tobacco and alcohol, what makes you think exactly the same wouldn't happen with cannabis and cocaine? In fact, you could probably argue that as legal substances, more kids will be exposed to the existance of drugs and thyat more kids will attempt to try them.
    From my point of view more access to drugs would be a good thing. As an informed adult, I think I have every right to decide what substance I choose to consume. I think they should be available to all informed adults.

I agree. Do you think that perhaps certain drugs should still remain illegal to certain people, perhaps adults with mental illnesses (mild or fairly acute) for instance?
  • Options
    I don't think you can assume that. Kiddies still get access to tobacco and alcohol, what makes you think exactly the same wouldn't happen with cannabis and cocaine?

When I was at school drugs were far easier to get hold of than alcohol. There were kids dealing drugs to other kids yet nobody dealing booze. I'm not under the illiusion that it would be impossible for kids to get hold of them, I just think it would make it more difficult.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    When I was at school drugs were far easier to get hold of than alcohol. There were kids dealing drugs to other kids yet nobody dealing booze. I'm not under the illiusion that it would be impossible for kids to get hold of them, I just think it would make it more difficult.

You must have attended a radically different school to the one i attended. I was in the pub at 16, yet i don't think i came across cannabis until i was almost 18.
  • Options
    I appreciate that if you legalise drugs then you have a great deal of control over quality, sale and use. Don't you think that legalising drugs will mean a lot more people will have access to them and will want to try them, and subsequently we'll have more addicts?

Possibly, and there may well be an increase in over all use. But is that actually a problem? It is harm which we need to deal with not use, so if by making the drugs safer and the education better we reduce the over all harm done by drugs what does it matter if there are more users?

And if heroin was on precription you could far better manage users and they wouldnt need to resort to crime to fund their habit like they do now.
  • Options
    I agree. Do you think that perhaps certain drugs should still remain illegal to certain people, perhaps adults with mental illnesses (mild or fairly acute) for instance?

Some illegal drugs are actually quite good treatment for mental health problems. Heroin for example is quite a good anti-psychotic.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Some illegal drugs are actually quite good treatment for mental health problems. Heroin for example is quite a good anti-psychotic.

Have you seen the evidence coming forward suggesting ketamine can be really useful for severe depression?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Have you seen the evidence coming forward suggesting ketamine can be really useful for severe depression?
    I've heard about this, what are your thoughts on it? I find it leaves me depressed, gives me bad dreams and sleep parylisis. That may have been down to abusing it though.
    I rarely touch it now, these are part of the reasons.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I've heard about this, what are your thoughts on it?

It seems a little risky to me, a bad trip on it I would imagine would set the person back, not help them. But there does seem to be some serious medical minds suggesting it is good, so they know more than me. I'll see if I can dig out a report about it.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    It seems a little risky to me, a bad trip on it I would imagine would set the person back, not help them. But there does seem to be some serious medical minds suggesting it is good, so they know more than me. I'll see if I can dig out a report about it.
    Cheers.
    I've had some brillaint trips on it, spiritual deep moments that were fantastic but reality comes back hard after, for me anyway.
  • Options
    budda wrote:

I vaguely read something about it. I'm quite sceptical myself.
  • Options
    i hope all you tokers have noticed that the evil soap bar has finaly been removed from the streets of the uk ...not by government to protect the health of the nation but ...by old hippies who risk imprisonment.
    the law is a fucking ass.
  • Options
    i hope all you tokers have noticed that the evil soap bar has finaly been removed from the streets of the uk ...not by government to protect the health of the nation but ...by old hippies who risk imprisonment.
    the law is a fucking ass.
    Eh? What happened?
  • Options
    Eh? What happened?
    don't tell me ...soap bar is still available is scotland!
  • Options
    Fuck knows mate, not touched or even heard of the stuff in months. Found a pretty reliable dealer and been getting some top quality weed.
  • Options
    Fuck knows mate, not touched or even heard of the stuff in months. Found a pretty reliable dealer and been getting some top quality weed.
    the streets should be flowing with bud ...moroccan slate ...afghani black.
    i know i've siad it before but ...even scotland should have no room for soap bar now!
  • Options
    the streets should be flowing with bud ...moroccan slate ...afghani black.
    i know i've siad it before but ...even scotland should have no room for soap bar now!
    Is that where the fuck you've been?! On some Rambo style mission across the council estates of the UK slaughtering all the soap dealers. Planting seeds of White Widow and Northern Lights on every patch of grass you find from Land's End to John O'Groats.

This, my friends, is Jesus.
  • Options
    HA Ha HA!!!!! Rambo style blood bath! Love it! :thumb:

As for changes in legislation, lets have Government run (over the counter chemist style) drug shops. It can be taxed and regulated, kept away from underage kids (provided the over 18 year old adult buying drugs is respectable enough to not let kids get hold of the drugs they have bought), Make people who are buying drugs get background checks (inbto mental health or illness that narcotics might affect adversely), like having a driving license, but having a drugs license.

I know i sound very much full of beaurocracy, but i think checks and balances are needed to ensure no dodgy or dangerous stuff gets out there and to prevent drugs getting into the hands of kids. Yes, i know its old fashioned notion to keep drugs away from kids when every one on these boards who uses drugs probably started using when they were 13 or 14 or something, but thats my opinion on how legislation should be changed and new system implemented.
  • Options
    Is that where the fuck you've been?! On some Rambo style mission across the council estates of the UK slaughtering all the soap dealers. Planting seeds of White Widow and Northern Lights on every patch of grass you find from Land's End to John O'Groats.

This, my friends, is Jesus.
    :lol::D
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    I know i sound very much full of beaurocracy, but i think checks and balances are needed to ensure no dodgy or dangerous stuff gets out there and to prevent drugs getting into the hands of kids. Yes, i know its old fashioned notion to keep drugs away from kids when every one on these boards who uses drugs probably started using when they were 13 or 14 or something, but thats my opinion on how legislation should be changed and new system implemented.

This kind of scheme would just keep the black market, if you make it too restrictive then the old dealers will still stay in business. Of course we need to check age and give advice, but if we put too many more controls in place then the street dealers will sell to them instead.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    This kind of scheme would just keep the black market, if you make it too restrictive then the old dealers will still stay in business. Of course we need to check age and give advice, but if we put too many more controls in place then the street dealers will sell to them instead.

Well, so long as there was an adult only age restriction and it was kept safe, id be happy with it if it was less restrictive. What ever puts dealers out of a job and makes them have to go earn their money for a change is fine by me.
  • Options
    Still soap bar here (not much) but Northern Ireland is the worst for it, £18 millions worth of the shit was found last month. Madness.

Well I think everyone knows my position on drugs. :p