Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gun and knife crime...

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
Hey guys and gals,

I was just wondering if any of you could help me with a brand new section to go live on TheSite.org before the New Year! It's all about the growing problem of weapons crime and will include information and advice on current laws, who's being affected and so on.

I'd really like to hear from any of you who:

a) Knows somone who carries a knife/weapon on a regular basis - you don't have to name names and I'm presuming you won't be saying it's you!

b) Is worried about the growing problem of weapons use in your area/college;

c) Thinks that it's understandable you should need to carry a weapon in order to feel safe;

d) Thinks it's going to cause a lot more trouble by carrying a weapon and could result in even more injury.

Feel free to PM me or debate about it in this thread, I'd be really interested to see your views. If there's anything you feel should be included in the section, I'd also be interested to hear.

Thanks so much
:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know anyone who carries a weapon. I've seen someone with one, but think it doesn't make anyone safer and in fact makes everything worse.
    I don't know anyone that carries knives like that. I know plenty of people who frequently have mini swiss army knives on key rings, or leatherman type tools on their belt.

I have a nice knife that's not far from me whenever I have my dive kit.

Something that clarifys the law would be really good. :thumb:
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    We have this article at the moment, but there may be some more detailed information going up if needed...

Weapons
    I don't find it particularly clear from that article whether you're allowed to carry SA knives in public.

Also, some clarity on what a 'reasonable excuse' may or may not be could be good.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    I will make sure this is made clearer, thanks as any feedback is really useful...
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I used to carry a knife, when I younger and so did a few of my mates. I started carrying one after somebody jabbed me in the guts with a screw drive - thankfully it was glancing blow but it left a nice scar. Thankfully nobody I've know has ever used a knife to threaten or hurt anybody. I have a nice length of wood in my car though, simply because I have encountered road rage on a few occasions.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I have a nice length of wood in my car though, simply because I have encountered road rage on a few occasions.

Lol my mate who drives always keeps a lump of wood under his seat...
    I know someone who always carries a screwdriver on them for self protection cos he sells drugs, I also know someone else who sells drugs who found someone who owed him alot of money, dragged them into a car and held a knife to their throat as a threat...don't think he would have actually used it though.
    Also one of my once good mates has recently been in alot of shit with the police for supposedly stabbing someone...he denies it and blamed someone else but neither me or my mates know whether to believe him or not :( He was on crystal meth at the time too...
    I used to be a proud owner of a cattle prod. Shame no pikeys tried nicking my dog at the time. :grump: