Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Banking no longer "free"?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6148776.stm

First Direct have announced plans to start charging £10 a month for current accounts that have a monthly income of less than £1,500.

Will other banks quickly follow suit? Or will this be a down fall for First Direct?

As a student this worries me, I don't want to be losing £120 a year because I already have a low income. Is this not just going to isolate the poorer percentage of the country even more?

Comments

• Options
    if first direct customers start closing down their FD accounts and moving to other banks then it will teach them a lesson. Their parent company is HSBC and makes a fortune. Out of all the banks I've ever dealt with HSBC had the dumbest and least helpful staff.
  • Options
    Bit of a worry actually. When I moved to Australia a couple of years back I was amazed that almost every bank has account charges. This is after living in England the rest of my life where banks actually give you £50 or an iPod to open a student account (for example). Hopefully public opinion will be enough to ensure this doesn't spread to other or all accounts but hey, if it does what choice do we have? Isn't it illegal to NOT have a bank account?
  • Options
    Really? I'm sure there are plenty of people in the older generation who prefer to keep their money under the mattress...or is that just an urban legend that I'm taking as truth?

It's our money we should be able to do what we like with it... I'm quite happy to disappear to an island somewhere and live away from all these regulations.
  • Options
    LucieLu wrote:
    Isn't it illegal to NOT have a bank account?
    my mum doesnt have one :confused:
  • Options
    Maybe it's just if you're working. I know any job I've applied for, you must have an account to get paid. That might be different again if you're self-employed.
  • Options
    LucieLu wrote:

Not having a bank account might be a bit stupid but it's definitely not illegal.

Free bank accounts as has been said are rare elsewhere but I would be surprised if they disappear here. I'll believe it when it happens I guess.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Fuckers! I hope First Direct go bankrupt.

Banks make MORE than enough money anyway as it is, and they make it from our cash, as such, they have no fucking right to charge for thier accounts.

Cunts.
  • Options
    Not having a bank account might be a bit stupid but it's definitely not illegal.
    why is it stupid?

if you have no use for one, why have one? :confused:
  • Options
    I suspect a lot of people will be voting with their feet. If my bank tries to do the same, I'll be going to one that won't.

You can always let First Direct know how you feel. For some reason, they're getting a large volume of calls at the moment... :chin:
  • Options
    The only two groups of people in the world who wouldn't need a bank account are children (and even then I think their parents should have opened a savings account for them) and homeless. Anyone else is foolish.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The only two groups of people in the world who wouldn't need a bank account are children (and even then I think their parents should have opened a savings account for them) and homeless. Anyone else is foolish.
    my mum certainly isnt foolish

she gets £72 a week widows pension, that all goes on the house/food, so there`s nothing left to put in the bank

so why would she need a bank account?
  • Options
    the result of not allowing banks to charge fines for going over limits.
  • Options
    The big UK banks made a record £31 billion last year. There not really try to convince us they are so hard up, they will have to start charging us or are they?? :confused:

:thumb:
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    the result of not allowing banks to charge fines for going over limits.

Bollocks. Do you know how banks actually make the majority of their money?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Investing our money?
  • Options
    Spot on. I lend my wages to the bank every month for them to invest.
  • Options
    I still like the comment from the head of Barclays about a year ago, that people wanted cheques to take 5 days to clear...
  • Options
    Actually it can be useful that it takes a few days for cheques to clear, if you have no money but are getting paid in a couple of days...
  • Options
    LucieLu wrote:

Where did you hear that? it may be inconvinient (especially given that most employers will pay direct into your account nowdays), but its not illegal.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Actually it can be useful that it takes a few days for cheques to clear, if you have no money but are getting paid in a couple of days...
    That's what I thought but then I'm never happy when I put a cheque into my account and it takes ages.
    Can't have it both ways though.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

isn't that why you post date cheques?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Is it foolish to value your privacy ?

All the banks that I am aware of are, in effect, spies.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I suspect that a current account incurs the biggest expense in terms of administration.
  • Options
    isn't that why you post date cheques?

When buying food at the supermarket?
  • Options
    Where did you hear that? it may be inconvinient (especially given that most employers will pay direct into your account nowdays), but its not illegal.

Yeah you're right I think I just made it up to be honest. I don't think a lot of places would employ you cash in hand though (obviously some would), so you might struggle to get work without an account.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Spot on. I lend my wages to the bank every month for them to invest.

No shit thats how they make alot of their money. They also earn quite a bit from charging the 1 in 5 people that regularly go overdrawn.

Anyway, i didnt read the article, they are using another reason. When the above way of making money doesn't become common practice UK will have similar bank costs to Europe as they try to maintain current rates of profit.
  • Options
    Corporation bosses in shameless greed-motivated scheme shocker!

Poor suffering banks. The government goes and has the temerity to tell them to stop ripping customers off with breathtakingly high charges and fees. What are they to do? Imagine if they havd to tell their long-suffering shareholders projected profits for next year will go down from 9.5bn to 8.8bn. They are entirely justified in starting to charge some customers £10 a month for the pleasure of making profits from their money in the first place.

:rolleyes:

Come the revolution there won't be enough walls to put all the bastards that deserve it up against it. :mad:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Come the revolution there won't be enough walls to put all the bastards that deserve it up against it. :mad:

Are there enough universes to contain all your L:heart: VE ?
  • Options
    Banking has never been free, you've just paid indirectly.
    First Direct have announced plans to start charging £10 a month for current accounts that have a monthly income of less than £1,500.

That part really stadns out for me, the low income earners will pay whereas people like me won't. Yeah, that's fair :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Poor suffering banks. The government goes and has the temerity to tell them to stop ripping customers off with breathtakingly high charges and fees. What are they to do?

The folly of trying to alter prices. Alter them in one place and they change in another.