Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Al Jazeera English News Channel Launches Today

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
From midday today the world's newest TV News Station will launch with a reported $1 Billion being invested to set it up.

No US company has signed up to carry the news channel but everyone should be able to watch it via the internet..

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what it's like - I think when the Americans went to war in Iraq it was useful and interesting to see the differences between how different organisations like CNN, Fox News, ITV and the BBC reported the same events

And as one chap put it back then the American news channels showed the rockets taking off, whilst Al Jazeera showed them landing ...

I think news reporting is one area where it's important to have the option of seeing the same stories form different points of view.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/6BB60A7B-C169-4762-87ED-415752862B5E.htm

Anyone think we're likely to see a lot more of what's happening in the Middle East and Iraq in particular?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well, I am happy at this. It is a good news source - they aren't a "terrorist" source as some US people would have you believe...

It'll give us a different perspective on things happening in the Mid East - we only get a Western perspective on a war being waged against Islam... now we get the other side - what it is like for the people who have to live in the countries where this war is being waged. If the war affected Britain and America, do you think people would be so complacent about it?
  • Options
    BTW if you're trying to get the channel on Sky Digital you may have to go through the following menu

Testing of the channel can be viewed via the 'Other Channels' option.

-> Using your Sky Digi remote, go to Services Menu
    -> System Setup (4)
    -> Add Channels (4)
    -> Enter the frequency: 11.681 (V), FEC 2/3, Symbol Rate 27500
    -> Find Channels and Press SELECT
    -> Highlight "AJI" service and press Yellow button.
    -> Return to Services Menu
    -> Other Channels (6) on STB / (8) on Sky+
    -> "AJI" should be listed and available
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well, I am happy at this. It is a good news source - they aren't a "terrorist" source as some US people would have you believe...

It'll give us a different perspective on things happening in the Mid East - we only get a Western perspective on a war being waged against Islam... now we get the other side - what it is like for the people who have to live in the countries where this war is being waged. If the war affected Britain and America, do you think people would be so complacent about it?

Yes we've had loads of coverage over the years on how various people were affect by what happened on 9/11 - particularly those in New York but very little on how the people in Iraq or even Afghanistan have been affected

It will be interesting to see how ordinary people in Iraq have been affected - hopefully that will be the kind of stuff they'll cover

As well as just seeing other things that happen in that part of the world.

I think it would be good to have more news channels in English that showed us the world from different points of view.

Some websites are saying Tony Blair will be interviewed by Sir David Frost on Friday on the new channel. I thought it was a huge shame when ITV news stopped broadcasting - but really they didn't report anything much different then what Sky News and BBC News were already doing.

Anyway all tuned up and be very interested to see what this is like
  • Options
    al jazeera is v interesting. some pomp news girls on there too. much nicer than the beeb.

a uk version is very welcome i don't tend to stay on the international for very long cos its in arabic/urdu whatever.
  • Options
    No US company has signed up to carry the news channel
    The Land of the Free, indeed...
  • Options
    Al Jazeera should cause a stir in the UK. I read in the paper yesterday that the head of the British operation has stated that he is quite prepared to show film footgage of dead British soldiers - even before their names are released to their next of kin. He said that people ought to know how and why the British soldiers are dying ....
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Al Jazeera should cause a stir in the UK. I read in the paper yesterday that the head of the British operation has stated that he is quite prepared to show film footgage of dead British soldiers - even before their names are released to their next of kin. He said that people ought to know how and why the British soldiers are dying ....

I find that a little bit disrespectful considering we are expected to tip toe around their sensitivities. Then again I'm English, male and white so nobody gives a fuck anyway.
  • Options
    I thought we'd already had it for ages? Incidentally, do foreign news channels broadcasting in this country have to follow our laws regarding impartiality?
  • Options
    I thought we'd already had it for ages? Incidentally, do foreign news channels broadcasting in this country have to follow our laws regarding impartiality?

I think the new one will be in English, the other one is the same that is broadcast in the Middle East.
  • Options
    godscop wrote:
    I think the new one will be in English, the other one is the same that is broadcast in the Middle East.

I'm watching it now on channel 514 on Sky Digital and so far - very professional looking. This isn't just an English version of the other channel, it's been totally tailored for Western audiences.

This is a totally new channel which has had vast sums of money spent on it but if . no idea how it will pay for itself or if it's just going to paid for using oil money - but so far I'm liking it, seems to be similar in style to the BBC News and Sky News.

They're not just reporting on the middle east they've got reports from Africa too, and right away reported about the Tsunami expected to hit Japan.

Their website right now is very very slow, which I suppose is a good sign that people who can't see it on their TV systems are trying to see it online.
  • Options
    Well so far after just 1 hour they've shown news reports from the Middle East, China, Japan, Africa, Brazil and quite a few other places.

of course they've had weeks to prepare most of these reports, seeing how they cope on a daily basis is yet to be seen but it's nice to see another window onto the world...
  • Options
    Well been watching it since yesterday - lots of interesting stuff on there - highly recommend it and hoply it raises the bar for all the other news channels to reach
  • Options
    Is this channel just available on Sky Digital or can you pick it up on Freeview?
  • Options
    LucieLu wrote:
    Is this channel just available on Sky Digital or can you pick it up on Freeview?

Hi as far as I know you can only get this on Sky Digital channel 514 or you could just watch it for free over the net

http://europe.real.com/smil/aljazeera_us_lo.smil

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/1EBB4C7F-7F2E-4257-A04C-56678862E31A.htm
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The Land of the Free, indeed...
    What does US News channels not wanting to pick up Al Jazeera have to do with it not being a free country?

(Not dirrected at Aladdin) I'm actualy interested to see this channel. Most of the news channels around here are pretty similar in format, the most readily avalible alternative is the BBC, which while somewhat different is still a western news group. One of my discusion classes had an army reservist come and answer questions we had about Iraq, he made Al Jazeera sound like a pretty interesting thing to watch.
  • Options
    What does US News channels not wanting to pick up Al Jazeera have to do with it not being a free country?

I think that the suggestion is that your media is pandering to the right wing and AlJ would give a different POV. This resticts how free you are

From what I remember the channel has been portrayed as supporting terrorism in the past...
  • Options
    To the point where Bush threatened to bomb its HQ!

That would have certainly shown those barbarian Arabs what the values of Western democracy are all about...
  • Options

From what I remember the channel has been portrayed as supporting terrorism in the past...

When you look at past interviews you even have Saddam's top general saying on camera that Al Jazeera supported the Americans.

It reports both sides of the story, so one side is always gonna be unhappy.

Was speaking to someone in the USA and they said you CAN get the original channel in Arabic in the USA but so far just 1 US satellite company has now taken on the English one.. He said they don't mind the Arabic one going out cos your average American will never bother to tune in and if they did they'd not understand it .. but the new English channel is a worry as they've done such a professional jobs and hied so many top reports and presenters from all over the world that people will now sit up and take notice.
  • Options
    Totally enjoying this new channel and it's only been on for 6 days

It's nice to see how ordinary people live in other countries and they're doing a lot more of that kind of reporting.

They're showing reports from countries I didn't even know existed before..

And they're showing the kind of stuff CNN, etc wont show like the effects left from cluster bombs that fail to explode on impact and thus kids playing in fields, or picking fruit, etc are in danger from accidentally stepping on them.

I do like the fact they've published their code of ethics .. I do think Journalism is a very important profession which has gone to the dogs in recent years with more pages being dedicated to pop stars and footballers then serious world issues and too many editors afraid to show stories that might upset their advertisers.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/4B3ABFB8-9082-4B05-B399-7BF68D4A39D6.htm

1. Adhere to the journalistic values of honesty, courage, fairness, balance, independence, credibility and diversity, giving no priority to commercial or political considerations over professional ones.
  • Options
    It reports both sides of the story, so one side is always gonna be unhappy.
    I remember Ann Coulter saying that all media has a liberal bias. I was think "well of course it does compared to you, for fuck's sake." You could imagine a news channel run by her. Al Jazeera is one of the best news channels out there. A lot of them are ex-BBC journalists, and they don't seem to be afraid to show things that other news channels won't. Naturally that translates as "giving the enemy a voice." But it's nothing ou don't see on Youtube anyway, so I don't see the problem.
  • Options
    I think that the suggestion is that your media is pandering to the right wing and AlJ would give a different POV. This resticts how free you are

I'm dragging up an old subject I know (sorry been away on Turkey day break)

I am just as free to go find a source which airs it, even if US channels choose not to. It's when I need to worry about being investigated for trying to that we need to worry about freedom, and that hasn't been happening.... oh wait.