Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What are Oxford, Exeter and Cambridge like to live in?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all, wasn't sure where abouts to put this thread, so if this is the wrong forum apologies in advance.

Anyway, the title says it all really. I'd just like to ask anyone who has lived in Exeter, Oxford or Cambridge what they thought about it? I'm applying for graduate jobs in those 3 areas, so thought it might be best to do some research on them before deciding where to move! Initially I was just going to close my eyes and stick a pin on a map, but decided that probably wasn't the best way to choose where to start my career...

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help enlighten me :)

Comments

• Options
    i'd say home, law and money. :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I've nver lived in any but have visited and stayed in all three.
    Exeters nice, and by far the best place out of the three in my opinion.
    Cambridge is full of hooray henry dickheads. I fucking hated it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Oooh me me me! I have no idea about oxford, but I am from Cambridgeshire and my Brother lives in Exeter. Cambridge is mostly prententious cosmopolitan and touristy, it's expensive, has great shopping, lots of nice bars and restaurants, is beautiful, lots of interesting stuff and great if you have a bike. Exeter is more chilled out, near to the sea side, hilly, very green, very studenty, and has good good weather.
  • Options
    Oxford has a serious traffic problem :yes:
  • Options
    my male friend recently visited oxford and he said there are about 3 girls for every guy. apparently they're a lot more forward too because of the competition.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    my male friend recently visited oxford and he said there are about 3 girls for every guy. apparently they're a lot more forward too because of the competition.
    On the next train there. :D

Exeter is a really nice place to live, the people are nice, there are jobs around.
  • Options
    I live in Cambridge (part time). Downtown is very studenty during the Uni of Cam term times, tapers off a bit when it's only Ruskin Uni term time.

There's almost no car access to the city centre, but loads of park and ride services, and a good bus service (by UK standards). It's very very bike friendly. City centre is usually buzzing, there's always loads on, the sports centre is pretty good, it's a pretty good place to get round the country by train from too. Nice and close to Stanstead for cheap flights.
  • Options
    I live in Oxford, its fab. If you have any specific questions, PM me :) Although I agree with LacyMay, the traffic here can be shite :|
  • Options
    Exeter is swell. The high street is a bit bland and concrete but theres lots of little hidden gems. Theres not much crime and quite a significant student population. Nightlife is good enough with 4 main nightclubs, as well as a number of bars and pubs. Again PM if me if you have any questions.
  • Options
    Cambridge is really nice. I've been going there since I was born to see family. I'd like to live there if I could afford the rent (would have to share a house). It's close to London (an hours drive), close to Stansted airport (cheap flights), nice old city centre, lots going on, nice people.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys :) Thankfully it sounds like all 3 are quite good to live in! I was worried that people might tell me to avoid moving to any of them, so you've all helped put my mind at ease. I should probably choose where I live depending on where I can get the best job, but then I read this...
    lipsy wrote:

I'll start packing my bags :D
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Renzo wrote:
    Exeter is swell. The high street is a bit bland and concrete but theres lots of little hidden gems. Theres not much crime and quite a significant student population. Nightlife is good enough with 4 main nightclubs, as well as a number of bars and pubs. Again PM if me if you have any questions.
    Exeter for the win ;D

I need to come see you guys again, we can go down the Lemmy and get bladdered :p